Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Nice guys finish last

[ QUOTE ]
Now, if either of you can tell me why, I am attentive. I cannot for the life of me figure out how that makes logical sense. (or even biological if you want to go that route).

[/ QUOTE ]

Biologically, for thousands of years women needed two things in a mate in order for her and her offspring to survive:'

- protection
- provider

So we're wired to be attracted to men who are strong, both physically and in character.

Slight hijack. I'm bothered by the trend in our society to emasculate men, make them "caring and sensitive". As early as grade school we want boys to sit still and behave and are willing to medicate them into doing so.

Children need fathers to push them to take risks, just as they need mothers to nurture them. We're different for good reason. We need real men!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simply put find someone that you like enough to forgive when they act crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. I always say the key to lasting love is to both think you got the better bargain.

I can't believe he puts up with me.

He can't believe I put up with him.

It's worked so far!

P.S. I really like the Jack Black avatar Stuey.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because all men are douche bags.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's not that they are douche bags. It is more likely that they are just stupid. Most of my life I have been that really nice guy. Then after I broke up with a long term lady friend I was casually having sex with a girl whom I told I was not interested in a relationship with. I thought I was doing nothing wrong, but it turns out when I never escalated the relationship I was a douche bag in the eyes of everyone.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

Did you lose intrest in him after you had finally gotten him to say he loved you?

X

[/ QUOTE ]

X, how shallow do you think I am?

[/ QUOTE ]

Katy,

I think you are the most wonderful person I have ever met on this board but I was just curious as to how you felt afterwards.

X

Edit: Oops there is my sweet side coming out, I better watch myself.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:59 AM

X

This isn't hard. You be like this: confident, relaxed, and definitely listen and help to genuine problems. Problems that turn out to be whines (ie they keep coming up) you cut off ASAP. You say 'hun, I'll listen to your problems, your real problems, but I'm not your emotional punchbag. Don't bring this to me.'

Always be the boss: in the bedroom: in your office/space/cave: whenever she's uncertain (about where to eat, what movie to see, etc), but otherwise let her call the shots (but take charge if you don't like those shots).

Live long and prosper.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 AM

I think whatever girl wrote that is either confusing "nice guys" with "my gay friend" or else she found some poor sap who's so in love with her that he can't think straight. If he's lucky he'll wise up and realize this little essay is the only thanks he'll ever get. It is possible to be a nice guy without being weak and a total tool who allows himself to be [censored] on constantly.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You say 'hun, I'll listen to your problems, your real problems, but I'm not your emotional punchbag. Don't bring this to me.'

[/ QUOTE ]

geez carter, that's a wee harsh [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You may want to soften that up just a bit. If you said that to me I'd burst out in tears.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You say 'hun, I'll listen to your problems, your real problems, but I'm not your emotional punchbag. Don't bring this to me.'

[/ QUOTE ]

geez carter, that's a wee harsh [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You may want to soften that up just a bit. If you said that to me I'd burst out in tears.

[/ QUOTE ]

gah. Women's tears...the great leveller.

Well, okay, I'd put it nicer and probably more winbaggy than that, but the message would be the same.

I mean whining is for your gf's to listen to, right?

I mean it's universal. You want solutions, take it to a guy. Want to just share, take it to a girl or an emo/gay friend.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Ok I get it, i get it! sheesh. Harsh.

(i'll start whining to someone else. point me in the direction of the closest emo guy, please)
Old 03-28-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Real tears? Or the tears women use to get guys like the one described in the OP to do what they want?