Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: UFC buys Pride

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, as much as I sometimes dislike the 10-point must system it is a cut above the open-ended Japanese system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the 10 point must system for MMA. The judges are too conservative in awarding 10-8 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very unfamiliar with the 10 point must system...

explain to me exactly why they don't just score a round 1-0(narrow win of the round), 2-0(domination of the round), or 3-0(complete dominance of the round, fight probably ending soon anyway)?

That way instead of silly scores like 107-106 it would just be something like 13-8.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, as much as I sometimes dislike the 10-point must system it is a cut above the open-ended Japanese system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the 10 point must system for MMA. The judges are too conservative in awarding 10-8 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very unfamiliar with the 10 point must system...

explain to me exactly why they don't just score a round 1-0(narrow win of the round), 2-0(domination of the round), or 3-0(complete dominance of the round, fight probably ending soon anyway)?

That way instead of silly scores like 107-106 it would just be something like 13-8.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't do it because scoring is done by athletic comission judges who use 10-point must.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is going to turn out really nicely. There are going to be some upset Pride fans though, because they are changing to UFC rules (no soccer kicks or knees to the head, elbows ok), but they are still keeping the ring.

LINK

[/ QUOTE ]

They might as well wear skirts into the ring. It's ridic. to ban soccer kicks and knees to the head and stomps for a variety of reasons. [censored] NSAC retards.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 PM

10 point must system is awful for MMA, or for that matter, boxing fights with a low number of rounds. It really takes the excitement out of fights when you know that the guy who barely lost the first couple of rounds probably isn't going to be able to score a third round KO. And it's worse in MMA because it's much easier to turtle with a big lead, as long as you defend reasonably well.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM

Is this the first step for pride to get a TV deal in Japan once again? Dana fears Yakuza.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is going to turn out really nicely. There are going to be some upset Pride fans though, because they are changing to UFC rules (no soccer kicks or knees to the head, elbows ok), but they are still keeping the ring.

LINK

[/ QUOTE ]

They might as well wear skirts into the ring. It's ridic. to ban soccer kicks and knees to the head and stomps for a variety of reasons. [censored] NSAC retards.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just as ridiculous as banning elbows.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LINK

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just as ridiculous as banning elbows.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's much worse. Elbows are simply another weapon in the lay-and-pray arsenal and they tend to stop fights prematurely due to cuts. I'm pretty indifferent to them being banned or allowed.

OTOH, removing Stomps/Soccer Kicks/Knees to downed opponents removes the entire dimension of Standing vs. Prone combat from MMA and unnecessarily shifts the balance of power to wrestlers.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Peete - Pride lost their TV deal in Japan? That must explain the ridiculously low purchase price.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the problem with both systems is that there aren't any black-and-white guidelines for scoring. But I feel the 10-point must is a more structured and legitimate form of scoring; more emphasis should be put on trying to finish the fight in the 10-point system though - this is the one aspect of Japanese-style scoring I like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone eversuggested a system in which, if the fight weren't finished within the time limit, it would be declared a draw regardless of who "appeared" to be the better fighter? I think this would make for more interesting fights.

Also, why 5 minute rounds? Why not just set a time limit and let the fight go until that limit is up? Is it a safty concern? (I don't see why it would be.)
Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Has anyone eversuggested a system in which, if the fight weren't finished within the time limit, it would be declared a draw regardless of who "appeared" to be the better fighter? I think this would make for more interesting fights.

Also, why 5 minute rounds? Why not just set a time limit and let the fight go until that limit is up? Is it a safty concern? (I don't see why it would be.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure not. If, for 3 rounds, fighter A scores knockdowns on the feet, passes guard, lands Gnp from mount, goes for submissions, but cannot finish fighter B who shows no offense and is pounded on...then the two are equal?

5 minute rounds are mandated by comission rules. Early, pre-sanctioned UFC's had no time limit, then eventually went to 15 minute limits.