Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Opening a bar/restaurant

[ QUOTE ]

AND Is smoking allowed?
a bar without smoke isn't a bar imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats one of the problems we're having... we've been looking for a location, but a few of the towns around here are trying to pass indoor smoking bans, and we don't want to sign a lease only to find out the next month that you can't smoke inside anymore
Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM

I worked in a number of different restaurants for almost 6 years. The most important aspect is location. It sounds like the best location for you would be near a college that has alot of dorms/college housing within walking distance. Also you need to fix the drink specials but it sounds like you have a plan. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Total renovation. We gutted the place and re-did everything. This made the rent is dirt cheap.

http://www.cakestoday.com

We spent about $100K but bought 90% used equip and did all of the renovation work ourselves (except electric, plumbing and a little bit of construction)

I can answer any questions about dealing with food vendors, equipment needs, food costs, you name it.

We picked the spot based on a good business lunch crowed at other restaurants and it's location to downtown Louisville.

You guys with the Bar in Chicago, do you have funding?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the others that's you're trying too hard with gimmicks.

I'm not in this industry at all, but would like to believe I have some kind of common sense.

Things I would attempt:
- A good location - either somewhere that's quite visible. Another idea would be near high-workforce areas where you could get lots of people in for happy hour. This all being said, your lease needs to be affordable
- Quality - people like a place this is clean, has good service, and fun. I think the layout of a bar's floorplan can be critical to it's success. One large local bar here sectioned off a tiny smoking area near the front window. That way, even on quiet days, the place still looks busy.
- Food - If you plan on having a kitchen, I would keep it limited to few menu options, but do them all VERY well.

Marketing
- This is what's going to make or break your business. Screw all the crazy gimmicks. Go out and solicit local businesses for happy hours. Offer local clubs (sports leagues, etc) incentives for coming out.
- Get the name of the place out -everywhere-. Local message boards, bar review sites, Google Maps, etc.

Incredible marketing + quality + really really tight cost control is the route I'd go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw marketing (unless you have a giant budget, which most people do not.) Word of mouth is THE only marketing that works with start ups. If your place is visible in a high traffic area, people will try it. if they like it, they will tell their friends.... Prepare to wait 12 months of working 7 days a week 12 to 16 hours per day to get steady traffic.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm confused as to what kind of joint you are opening. It sounds like you just listed all the things the you like in a bar.
Is it a sports bar with the focus on beer and TVs or a place where people will come to eat?

Cop night and college night? WTF

Also do you really have 15 years of restaurant experience, because as far as I know every place on earth that has service industry night has it on Sun (the slowest night of the week when all the service industry people are off work) rather than Thur (3rd busiest night of the week)
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM

A point spamhead brought up, abotu used equipment, do a search for restaurant assets sales chicago, in google, and find some repo places. there is no need for new equipment as long as the used stuff works, and can be cleaned up.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Screw marketing (unless you have a giant budget, which most people do not.) Word of mouth is THE only marketing that works with start ups. If your place is visible in a high traffic area, people will try it. if they like it, they will tell their friends.... Prepare to wait 12 months of working 7 days a week 12 to 16 hours per day to get steady traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that quality leads to word-of-mouth advertising which is much better.

Let me be clear that when I say focus on marketing, I imply free guerilla-style marketing where the basic idea is to just let people know you -exist-.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Shouldn't this post be in MMB?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Monday- Military night- 50% off drinks with a valid military ID
Tuesday- Law Enforcement night- 50% off drinks with a badge"

That sounds like a good way to make sure nobody else will go to your bar on Mon or Tues

[/ QUOTE ]

The last two groups of people i would ever want in my bar.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Monday- Military night- 50% off drinks with a valid military ID
Tuesday- Law Enforcement night- 50% off drinks with a badge"

That sounds like a good way to make sure nobody else will go to your bar on Mon or Tues

[/ QUOTE ]

The last two groups of people i would ever want in my bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you both get hit by a runaway bus today.