Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: The Case for Teaching The Bible

Just coming up with how you would go about it would spark so much debate.
As i recall there are many many versions to the bible. So many different beliefs on this alone. Plus theres that whole books that were not included debate. I think you see where i am going here. No one would ever agree on what to teach and what not.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's virtually impossible to find curriculum that questions Darwinism and "goo-to-you" evolution - at least without accompanying ACLU lawsuits. Google what happened in Georgia and Pennsylvania lately.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's because for all practical purposes there isn't anything that questions evolution scientifically. The Dover and Georgia cases were/are theists trying slip non-science into a scientific curriculum and paint evolution as a "theory in crisis," which it is far from. I suggest reading up on the origins of the Intelligent Design movement and specifically the Wedge Strategy.

And "goo-to-you" is a new one to me, quite a nice strawman.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the Bible COULD be taught in a secular manner where it's not preached or taught as the "one and only truth." However for many people this is too difficult and it will just break down into preaching/pushing the dogma within it. One of the best classes I took in college involved reading the Bible and then learning about how it was written and how the people's lives/cultures affected the manner in which it was written and what was said in it. However I would not expect this level of detail and maturity in a high school (or lower) class.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the best class ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, I assure you it was pretty good. The teacher was also excellent, and made some good jokes (one about God "smoking up" was huge in college).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was completely serious, but I can easily see how a one liner like I said could go either way.

What you would learn in this class sounds like it would be so crucial to the understanding of the mindset of the writers of holy works. I'd love to get in the head of Paul or someone. Do they believe they are transcribing the word of God? Are they claiming they are or did that just become the belief throughout several generations of evolutionary-broken-telephone?

I could easily picture someone writing what they consider a quasi-fictional account of the way the world could be with absolutely no idea it will become so big a deal over the next 2000 years.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 AM

In response to your list, I believe the bible would serve a school environment best if deconstructed as a work of literature. I think we can compare it to similar myths and allegories without explicity stating that the bible is fiction or non-fiction (staying politically correct about it).

Of course it's ridiculous because not many people would throw a fit if you said that the story of Dionysus is a fable even though it could have easily been told as truth for generation upon generation and we'd have hardcore Dionysians now that would protest if it were ever called a work of fiction.

Again, I think Jiggymike's class is an absolutely incredible way to study the bible. What better way to determine if we should refer to it as fiction or not than to study the culture and determine how likely an author of the bible would be to create a work of fiction based on a real person and then make them into supernatural beings.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:54 AM

MidGe,

You don't have a reason to believe such a thing. The bible contains 66 books from various authors over many years. I'm familiar with your reason for saying it - Same as dawkins' right?

For any thinking person - reading the bible could only enrich ones thoughts/beliefs.
Thinking anything else is to not give the human mind the credit it's due - Are you assuming that people have sponges in their heads?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:14 AM

1) agree

2. For what subject matter is the Bible a good reference?
b,c,d - perhaps e if were chosen as an elective.

The bible has had a huge influence on Law, Morality, Literature, Art - huge.

[ QUOTE ]
the laws and morality of the Bible (especially Old Testament) again are in direct contradiction to our current legal structure and generally accepted morality.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't accept Dawkins' conclusions as your own so quickly - he writes well, granted - But think about it. There a few examples of where this is the case - however reading the book as a whole shows a very close picture to the Moral Zeitgeist today.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you assuming that people have sponges in their heads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it! At least, from my experience of seeing others and observing myself.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For any thinking person - reading the bible could only enrich ones thoughts/beliefs.
Thinking anything else is to not give the human mind the credit it's due - Are you assuming that people have sponges in their heads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably you would mean that this is equally true for every work of literature ever (since reading and thinking about anything is valuable), or at least every other religious text (should we add Dianetics to the curriculum)?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Presumably you would mean that this is equally true for every work of literature ever

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I don't presume that.
I do think that people can evaluate material from any medium - be it literature, art, film etc..
But - I think that the bible because of it's relevance to the Law / Morals of our society is an especially enriching read.

I've studied the media's influence on morality - so i'm not simply throwing that one out there. You are right in asserting that there are many different sources that could do the same/similar thing - I'm simply making the point that I think a balanced education should definitely provide education on this most important topic.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've studied the media's influence on morality

[/ QUOTE ]

And I have studied the "morality" influence on the media! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]