Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Do you read local newspapers or watch local news?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to hijack, but... I know we're not exactly on the same page politically, but I don't see how anybody but the most insane bigots can listen to this guy without getting physically ill. Can you explain the appeal?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the guy who said his local paper was insanely biased, so he's probably way right wing and shares a lot of savage's views. (i've never listened to the guy, so i'm not sure how far out there he is)
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Like most people the local news is really annoying and I never watch it. Weather.com ftw.

I read the paper every morning. I enjoy it as well as it is habit. The Dallas Morning News is an excellent paper (there are plenty of cities out there with decent papers) and isn't some gazette, of course with any news there is [censored] journalism and you have to take the good with the bad. I also read the paper in the morning no matter what city I am in and will read some God-awful city papers with breakfast, chuckling and grateful I don't live in that crappy town. Maybe I just like to read and am willing to read anything, I dunno? When I grew up though the paper was always on the table in the morning and my father and I would pass it back and forth and I just never stopped.

I am certain my gf has an addiction to national news so I get a steady dose of CNN even if I am sick of it, which I usually am.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM

NL,

"the only news i get is links from 2p2. anyone else like this? i generally dont have much reason to know/care about what is going on but sometimes its awkward when talking to adults or w/e and they ask me about some big news story and im like "hmm never heard of it""

I just can't relate to this. I have a desire to know what is going on in the world and be aware of news as a general matter of course. It's sorta hard for me to even engage in this dialogue since I so completely can't relate to having no desire to "know/care about what is going on."

This is actually a different discussion. You should create a new thread about it: "Why I don't care about the news."
Old 03-23-2007, 01:06 PM

I used to read the Philadelphia Daily News every day when I was living near Philly. I liked it better than The Inquirer (only because the DN was easier to read physically).

I only watch the morning local news for traffic and when it snows, to see how bad the roads are. Maybe see the weather. Otherwise, I get my news from cnn.com and msnbc.com.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Most of my news comes from Yahoo page links. I do have a local news module on there, but it's usually ininteresting. Also check a couple other websites for news. Only watch local news for snow delays, and I occasionally pick up the local papers if something interesting is going on.

ScottieK
Old 03-23-2007, 01:18 PM

The only section of the paper I ever read is the daily break, which is where the comics, puzzles, and entertainment listings are. I don't watch local news or cable news (except the weather channel). The only news I really read now is on line (mainly linked to my yahoo page, or from slashdot, but I will go out searching if something interesting is happening). I used to read the economist, but let that subscription lapse when I was never getting around to reading it.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:45 AM

Growing up, I read the Wash Post weekend section for city events and ideas. Also, I used to watch the evening nightly news through my early teens. Now, when I´m exposed to nightly news broadcasts (any of the three networks), I see very little news; many unnecessary on-site interviews and several fluff segments per episode. T

During college I would beat the kids to the library to pick up the NYT courtsey of the ¨Collegiate Readership Program.¨ Now my exclusive news outlet is The Economist. Their tabloid provides a concise summary of weekly worldly events while keeping my white-collars clean! The The Economist should include an article on fashion, aside from that, I have no qualms.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 AM

I watch CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News daily. I catch a lot of national/international stuff online as well. I never watch the local news. I get the Sunday paper but that's mostly for the ad inserts.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:38 AM

I read the AJC every day. It's a nice relaxing hour or so, and I can't stand reading the newspaper online.

EDIT: Plus I get to do the puzzles this way.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:20 AM

The world is becoming a smaller place as time goes on, and people realize that what's happening in their home town isn't all that important. For those of us who travel a lot, it's even less crucial to know what day the VA parade is on.