Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Should we have a monthly LC thread?

How many of 'em were sober?

We once played a 2+2 $2-$4 mixed game at the Bike. I played every hand and only lost $600. Someone was trying to play well and did worse.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:24 PM

I got to play Friday night in a 40/80 at Commerce with Koko, the super weak tight guy that privatejoker mentioned in one of his recent threads.

I hadn't played much with him before, although he was at one of my tables during the $1,000 limit tournament at the LAPC. Someone raises UTG and Koko calls in the SB and the BB calls as well. The flop comes Q88 and Koko checks, BB bets, UTG folds, and Koko calls. The turn is a 3 and Koko check-calls again. At this point I put Koko on at least AQ, maybe even a hand like KK that's scared of QQ. The river is an A and it gets checked through. Koko shrugs and turns over 88. (I'll give you one guess as to who got blinded out right on the bubble.)

So tonight he's playing his usual game and sitting behind a small stack of chips. He asks the dealer "Do you want me to win a pot tonight?" The dealer says, "I'd be happy to, but you have to play a hand first." (I'd talk to the floorman if a dealer ever made a comment about someone's play, but this time I thought it was pretty funny.) Koko asks for an out button and walks away for a bit.

He comes back and folds some more. A friend of his walks by and catches his eye. Koko folds yet another hand and says hi to his friend, then turns to me.

Koko: "Ask him to tell you the story about me."
Me: (turning to his friend) "What's the story about him?"
Friend: "He folded pocket Aces in a big pot against me. I made a flush and he would have ended up making a full house."
Me: "Wow, when did you fold?"
Koko: "I folded before the flop."
Some Nitty Guy: "Was this no limit?"
Koko: "No limit."
Me: "No limit?"
Koko: "No, limit."
Me: (keeping a straight face) "What happened, did you raise and then it got capped so you folded?"
Koko: "I raised and seven people called me, so I just folded."
Me: "Wow, that's pretty tight."

About 30 minutes later, a hand comes up where Koko's on the button. Two guys call and another guy raises. Koko puts in 4 chips to call.

Dealer: "Sir, the pot's been raised."
Koko: "Oh, I'm sorry." He takes the chips back and folds his hand, but it accidentally gets exposed to reveal 8-2 offsuit.
Some Nitty Guy: "You would fold pocket aces, but you play that?"
Koko: "I had position."
Old 03-25-2007, 05:33 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] CoCo. (by the way I finally saw his name written up on the dry erase board and I guess it is spelled with Cs and not Ks). I saw him playing the 40, actually. I walked past his table and said, "CoCo, you play 40 now?" He nodded his head.

Then last night, he happened to sit down at my 20 table. "CoCo, no more 40?"
"No. They are all professionals. Too good for me. Professionals like you."
"CoCo, I'm not a professional."
"Oh suuure. You are *very* professional."

Then he open-raised, so I 3-bet him with KQo. Heads up, and before calling my 3-bet, he asked to take 4 chips back and fold. I shook my head. So he called the 3-bet. The flop came all rags and he check-folded. Probably AK.

The best thing about CoCo is he always says the same thing every day: "I lose today three thousand five hundred. Today already. I lose three thousand five hundred."

No matter if it's his first hand or he's played for 2 hours, that's what he tells everyone. So when he wins a pot, I say "Now you're only stuck three thousand two hundred?" He doesn't miss a beat. "Yes. Three thousand two hundred now. Luckily I make so much money at my business. I am very, very rich."

Indeed, he's a jeweler with a shop downtown. But of course he's never stuck 3.5k. He plays such a low variance style that he just dribbles chips away by never maximizing value and folding the nuts and winning small pots. I'm glad he's back in my game.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"Oh suuure. You are *very* professional."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could have witnessed this, as it is the kind of thing that totally cracks me up.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then he open-raised, so I 3-bet him with KQo. Heads up, and before calling my 3-bet, he asked to take 4 chips back and fold. I shook my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless there is some metagame stuff or he folds every flop he misses this has got to be a mistake?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... or he folds every flop he misses ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

I've tried many times in vain on here to describe why a tight game is not a bad game. I'm continually met by resistance. It amazes me.

Josh
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've tried many times in vain on here to describe why a tight game is not a bad game. I'm continually met by resistance. It amazes me.

[/ QUOTE ]

resistance from who? most of the 2+2ers i hang out with/play with on a regular basis love weak tight games.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:40 PM

That's the second time this week I've heard of someone folding AA preflop in a limit game. And I'm not talking about Tommy.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 PM

I didn't know Koko ventured abovd the 20-40, that's where I always see him. I don't know what Rasputin looked like, but Koko must be close.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 PM

I would have said no, but I played the most mind bending hand of poker in the history of mankind on Saturday that I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Ocean's 40 best game ever. Brenda is playing, I am on her left. "The Wizard" is playing, he is on Brenda's right. Some guy playing 90% of his hands and raising most of them is playing, he's is on Wizard's right. They all have lots of chips in front of them and I am ejaculating in my pants every 5 minutes in anticipation of all the dollars I expect to come my way on this grand night.

Crazy guy on Wizard's right raises after 1 limper, wizard calls, brenda calls, I call in sb with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], bb calls, limper calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet, bb calls, pfr calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet, pfr calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet, pfr thinks for a long time, looks at his hand and raises, I 3bet, he calls. I table my hand containing 2 picture cards. He examines the board a couple times for good measure before showing his hand. 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I don't know whether to wait for him in the parking lot for the slowroll or to thank him for not raising me again.
Closed Thread