Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Why do we hate donkeys?

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I will say that I DO know where the money comes from. However, in all honesty and maybe this is where the ego comes in, I get way more satisfaction from having maybe 2 donks at the table but the rest better players. I think it is more satisfying and sometimes easier to beat the better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its never easier to beat a "better" play. It's definitional: a better player is one that is more difficult to beat. Usually this attitude comes from someone who goes to far with an unimproved hand after the "donkey" hits two pair. Personally, I'm not really in this for personal satisfaction; I'd join Greenpeace for that. The worse the players surrounding me the better. When you start suggesting that you would do better against better players something is wrong with your anaylsis.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 AM

Hard to say. I like bad players, but not total donkeys. I seriously CANNOT stand a game that is slowed down by players who have no idea what they are doing. "So how much to me? Yeah, I put in the 50, you made it 475? So thats how much more to me. Oh, its my turn? Oh, its my turn? Oh, its my turn. I fold, oh, its free? Ok. "

This is especially annoying when you're losing.

At the same time, I love how they always make losing calls.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:12 AM

I love tables full of droolers.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Its never easier to beat a "better" play. It's definitional: a better player is one that is more difficult to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat: I had to look up definitional to believe it's an actual word.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:43 PM

How to overcome your hate of donkeys...
Imagine your avatar is two donkeys bumping into each other..

Now you must want to be stuck inbewteen the two donkeys as I do!
Definitely one of my top 10 favourites for avatars.
It made me laugh!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From reading people think deeper than I do, I read maximum value plummets at poor player number six.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind quoting your source there, Mike? I believe your claim is incorrect, and would always be happy to back that up by sitting at the 10-donkey table rather than the 6-donkeys-and-4-tags table.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:12 PM

Sure, the old fish schooling problem and I will pm you a private link, as I dig it up from Google. I am out of town, so i don't have anything close by.

Of course sitting tags are not fun and it would nto be an easy game as half the table is seated for donkey oysters. It would be much better to be at a table with five poor players (donkeys), four abc average players and yourself. That is the greatest profit potential generally.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that I get soooo angry while playing someone that hasn't a clue! I should actually be happy while playing a donk because in the long run that is who I get the money from. Yet everytime they suck out after putting their money in way behind it really {censored} pisses me off.

Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is because you probably aren't worried about the long run, you are worried about the short term wins/losses. Time for a reality check, seriously. Need > Greed. Winning players know this, 'bad beats' are random, meaningless... I don't know your'e specific situation, but it sounds like you have some bankroll management issues, maybe you don't, maybe u are just a recreational player without a BR, if so I can see how bad beats can suck, but realize that is part of the 'short term' game, which you play, not the long term.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I will say that I DO know where the money comes from. However, in all honesty and maybe this is where the ego comes in, I get way more satisfaction from having maybe 2 donks at the table but the rest better players. I think it is more satisfying and sometimes easier to beat the better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me.

If my edge decreases, and I witness that better players have joined the game, I start thinking of an exit.

Last night I clearly had six bad players, two who had a clue, and myself at my table. The game got bad when it became six handed with only one bad player remaining.

When I got up to leave, the bad player left too (as he clearly thought I was worse than he was) causing the game to break.

Bummer for the rest (and for me as well I guess), but it was almost an all-nighter for me (have a regular job too).

However, with more of the "bad" players at the table, you have many people pushing their hands too far (because rivering their two outer worked like 20 minutes ago) and I know that they will call down with anything. Pretty easy to figure out. They haven't realized that I haven't played many pots and my raise "might" mean something. They just call - that's what they do.

I have no desire to be the best in the world. I won't be on television any time soon.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:45 PM

I think it is because with a good player you know their thought process, and therefore you may be able to manipulate it a little bit whereas a donk, you may see him make the right play 2 times and then he gets totally wacko for the next pot you play against him. The normal bad (or good actually) calling stations are the easy ones.

I won't deny that some of it may be ego and that I have to work on.