Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: 10/20 But i have trips!

you are out of your mind that an average player in this game is going to make bets this size with even 99. I agree its a pretty thin v bet that I make some amt of the time, but the conventional player quickly runs out of hands that will pay him off
Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't a shove better than a call? I don't like either, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

A shove is bad.

A call depends a lot on how often he calls preflop. It's usually a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bri is a good aggressive thinking opponent capable of both big bluffs and very thin value bets, but imo he's too laggy on all streets especially preflop. He'll open with and call a raise with any suited gapper (23s, 26s). Given most his opponents know his preflop range is so wide they will almost always continuation bet their pairs, so when you check flop you're basically turning ur hand face up in his mind. He's going to be both value betting thin and bluffing a lot on both streets. I don't think he's every going to take a stab on the turn then give up on the river. He'll just have a jack a lot but I think he has air enough to make a call profitable.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:37 PM

i figured my hand was face up enough to have him try and push me off of it (and so therefore making this a call) or is that one level too deep for the average 2k NL game?

edited to add that no one has said anything a/b the diamond draw on the turn that missed the river
Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i figured my hand was face up enough to have him try and push me off of it (and so therefore making this a call) or is that one level too deep for the average 2k NL game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I like a call for that reason, your hand being face up isn't a bad thing in this spot, but if the river was a spade a 9 or ten you just have to give up the pot. I just like a standard cbet vs this player.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are out of your mind that an average player in this game is going to make bets this size with even 99. I agree its a pretty thin v bet that I make some amt of the time, but the conventional player quickly runs out of hands that will pay him off

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree jason, the 10-20 games are a lot tougher these days and i fully expect 99 to be bet here a lot.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:23 PM

Well you've sort of telegraphed your hand, which will allow him to make this bet with 22 even. Id probably fold it, its way too often he's thin-value betting you with a small pocket pair.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edited to add that no one has said anything a/b the diamond draw on the turn that missed the river

[/ QUOTE ]

True your hand is enough face up for him to bluff at it. And im sure he will on occassion. But its also face up enough for him to thin value bet you as well. And I feel since most of his holdings here are pocket pairs or pairs on the board and that since he doesnt bluff 100% of the time with his no pairs that your still behind here way more often that not.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason you are way off here imo. I would not be surprised in the least to see an even sub par stars 10/20 player bet 99 here. And given the fact that hes a multi tabler, I think it's pretty obviously in his range.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:18 PM

This player's preflop range is so wide whether he value-bets tines and nines or not is pretty irrelevant. He has those two hands in his river betting range less than 5% of the time. He has a jack a lot more often and is almost always value betting it. What's important is how often he has air, and with this particular opponent I think its more than 28% of the time.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This player's preflop range is so wide whether he value-bets tines and nines or not is pretty irrelevant. He has those two hands in his river betting range less than 5% of the time. He has a jack a lot more often and is almost always value betting it. What's important is how often he has air, and with this particular opponent I think its more than 28% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this assessment. He's never struck me as a thin value better, but he's a very aggressive bluffer.