Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Are There Any Atheists Who Believe in Rushes?

There is no such thing as an atheist or a believer. If we are honest -- we are all agnostic. One definition from www.dictionary.com says:

"asserting the uncertainty of all claims to knowledge"

I have not PHYSICALLY died and been PHYSICALLY born or reincarnated again -- I wish to believe in more, I hope to believe in more, but I do not know because I have no proof... Thus I am a Christian born true believing agnostic atheist...

God bless...
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spence: I do believe that human's are yet to find a higher realm of perception and thought, that will allow the brain to tap in to the knowledge of the energy all around us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that we barely use 10% of our brain coupled with the fact that energy is all around is in all different forms. It's interesting to me that in death the energy that was used in brain function and all other functions of the body do not simply dissipate (being physically impossible to do so), but most likely changes form. I'm not saying its possible now, but I would NOT be surprised to run in to somebody (or at least witness) somebody who is very aware of everything around him, even things which he could not realistically perceive.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Old 03-20-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spence: I do believe that human's are yet to find a higher realm of perception and thought, that will allow the brain to tap in to the knowledge of the energy all around us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that we barely use 10% of our brain coupled with the fact that energy is all around is in all different forms. It's interesting to me that in death the energy that was used in brain function and all other functions of the body do not simply dissipate (being physically impossible to do so), but most likely changes form. I'm not saying its possible now, but I would NOT be surprised to run in to somebody (or at least witness) somebody who is very aware of everything around him, even things which he could not realistically perceive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fact?

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm
Old 03-20-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fact?

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice ref -- thank you!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:24 PM

My horoscope in the Dallas Morning News says that I am an athesiest psychic but I don't believe in newspapers.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 PM

One time, playing a 3/6 game, a regular sat down and played every hand, raising and re-raising until the river, managing to suck out a win on the river every time.

He won 12 hands in a row, lost one, and won another 14 hands in a row. Every single hand made it to showdown, and yes all the pots were were 6 or more handed.

Doesn't the whole concept of "neccesary bankroll" exemplify a mathematical proof of rushes? If you were to take a three deviation downswing, wouldn't it be acurate that you will take a balancing upswing, ie, a rush?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 PM

I think my fellow atheists would agree that what a superstitious man would call a 'rush' we would call a trend. There are explainations based in logic and reason to everything. As to whether or not we are able to understand those explainations yet, an altogether different question. Truth be told, i am a Buddhist. But i believe in the parts which suit me. I do not believe in reincarnation or an afterlife. And i definitely do not believe in any parapscychologies like astronomy, ect. Anyone who attributes phenomena to a supreme being (or a system to which people subscribe despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary for that matter) are quite frankly ignorant. I will finish with a quote, even though i do not believe in God, i think it is very relevant: "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei
Old 03-20-2007, 07:18 PM

If that is indeed true, then please omit the 10% figure from my post. I have just recently in the last few months started to question what I would usually just accept. The main reason I joined these forums was not to discuss poker, but the many other subjects you have going on at any given time. You will see my flounder around a bit, and make some obvious errors, but I assure you I will research any mistakes that are pointed out to me, and try to learn as much as I can. I have recently been reading and talking with some extremely smart people, and my view of thing's has changed completely since where I began. There is one area where I wish to tackle more than any other, and that is Quantum mechanics. An idea that all time is present is very interesting to me.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Rushes? I don't see why not. It probably depends on your definition. If a rush is a period of time where your cards and play are perfect while your opponents' are equally bad, then where does a divine entity factor into it?
Astrology-nope, Scientology-does not seek or worship a God but is somehow seen as a religion. Psychics-I'm still on the fence with this one. I am inclined to believe John Edward is able to communicate with spirits, but again that does not automatically lead to a belief in God.
Yes I am an atheist.