Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Antiques Roadshow

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested to find out how much that drawing is worth. I can't make out the signature at all. Any idea who did it? We need an appraiser!

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be Picasso's signature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well like you should have said that to start with! Now that is interesting or is it? I have no idea about how rare it would be to own even a sketch made by Picasso. Just a famous name to me I'm pretty uncultured. That is probably why I like this stuff as it is always new to me.

Anyway I spent a little time trying to find out how rare this is and how to go about finding out how much it might be worth. Do you know more about it? Where you bought it from and do you have more documentation? How big is it and is it damaged? Looks like it is burned or something or is that just a shadow?

Here is the only useful info I was able to find in my search.

[ QUOTE ]
With supporting paperwork a simple Picasso drawing can be worth upwards of $10,000.00 or more based on very high demand for quality Picasso artwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I imagine yours does not fall in this category. Like you said it looks low quality but with Picasso it seems it is hard to tell what "they" consider high quality. lol Anyways it is exciting just to own it imo. Keep it away from them sisters!

[ QUOTE ]
A Picasso drawing on your wall makes a very powerful statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got these quotes from here is you are interested.

I think it is funny that Katy might be surrounded by great art but she does not actually like any of it. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Post us a pic of something you like even if it seems worthless. I would be interested to see your taste.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:28 PM

Here's a link where a former Picasso mistress sold 20 of his sketches for 2.3 M. This story story is about a Picasso sketch shown on Antiques Road show.

I like the bike Katie! The best antiques are useful antiques.

I could also use a shadowbox for a fossil impression we bought in South Dakota a couple years ago. It's one of those things around here somewhere that we didn't get put on a wall.

Stuey, there are a thousand things to pick from if you want to start collecting. Just take a walk through a large antique show and see what catches your fancy.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 AM

the most valuable stuff on roadshow is usually boring and ugly. i saw this giant stoneware jug the other day that was ugly as hell. didn't appear to have very much artwork on it at all. and was worth 80k.

the best was a small card table. no decoration on it. just four straight legs and a smooth top. they showed the auction of it and it went for 500k. a lot of the value of antiques comes from this really small group of rich collectors. when a specific furniture maker becomes popular prices for their pieces can become astronomical.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know more about it? Where you bought it from and do you have more documentation? How big is it and is it damaged? Looks like it is burned or something or is that just a shadow?

[ QUOTE ]
A Picasso drawing on your wall makes a very powerful statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Stuey, you can't imagine how much anxiety your thread has brought into my life this past week. I never knew this thing was so valuable! I mean you'd think they could have told me before letting me traipse all over the country with it and sling it around like it was some old crappy artwork. You'd think they could have told me! I MEAN WOULDN'T YOU TELL A PERSON YOU WERE LETTING HER HOLD A VALUABLE PIECE OF ART FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN! I AM NOT A RESPONSIBLE PERSON [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (as evidenced by what happened to the Chagall poster [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

And in case you hadn't guessed I did not buy it from anyone. I sort of got it when my dad passed away.

I've been surrounded by Picasso talk all my life. My dad's favorite artist, he would give us Picasso books for our birthdays and Christmas. He would go on and on about Picasso. My sisters tried to listen attentively but I usually daydreamed. I once got up the nerve to tell my mom I didn't like him. No not my dad, Picasso. I told her look, that's just some ugly doodling is what that is. She thought I was disrespectful

Now I have to decide if I should put it in a bank vault or get it insured or give it up to one of my responsible sisters. Geez.

Having a Picasso on my wall does nothing for me. I'm not into that kind of thing.

[ QUOTE ]

I think it is funny that Katy might be surrounded by great art but she does not actually like any of it. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Post us a pic of something you like even if it seems worthless. I would be interested to see your taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I sort of like impressionist style artwork and also Gorie's stuff. I like paintings of giant, close-up flowers. Also I'm kinda into artwork with an Asian flair, like Chinese silk screens or something. I have some really cool photos of family members hanging on my walls right now. I like photography.

I'm not a very sentimental girl when it comes to material things though. Not like some of my friends are. Old photos and hand-me-downs don't really mean a lot to me. The one exception is my pair of antique Globe-Wernicke bookcases. Those mean the world to me. Nobody better touch my Globe-Wernicke bookcases! I'll try to post a picture of them later.

click here if you don't know what Globe-Wernicke bookcases are

I'm still really interested in hearing what other people are into collecting. Let's see some collections people! I tried to get Carter to post a pic of his DVD collection but he won't.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like the bike Katie! The best antiques are useful antiques.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you entertainme, I like it a lot too. In fact, this is the only one in my "collection." lol. I am on a mission now.

I like the sting ray more than the Picasso. People don't understand why the sting ray means so much to me but it just does.

I liked your medicine canister. I am really into reading about history and the history of medicine and medical cures sounds pretty wild.

I have a friend who picked up an old book on medicine from like the 1930s I think. It was crazy. I'll have to see if I can take a look at it again and write down some of the interesting "cures." We were just fascinated by it.

btw, I like those swords! Post more pictures. I think you have a lot of cool stuff at your house.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been surrounded by Picasso talk all my life. My dad's favorite artist, he would give us Picasso books for our birthdays and Christmas. He would go on and on about Picasso. My sisters tried to listen attentively but I usually daydreamed. I once got up the nerve to tell my mom I didn't like him. No not my dad, Picasso. I told her look, that's just some ugly doodling is what that is. She thought I was disrespectful

Now I have to decide if I should put it in a bank vault or get it insured or give it up to one of my responsible sisters. Geez.

Having a Picasso on my wall does nothing for me. I'm not into that kind of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to break it to you Katie, but that's more than a simple sketch and I would definitely have it insured.

I also have an off the wall suggestion for you. Pick up and read the book My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. It's fiction and one of my all time favorites.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:01 PM

I realised I had something in my garden that might be an antique. We moved here last August, and it was left here. I really haven't paid much attention, but actually it's sort of impressive. It's a chimney pot.

Think it's worth anything?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to break it to you Katie, but that's more than a simple sketch and I would definitely have it insured.

I also have an off the wall suggestion for you. Pick up and read the book My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. It's fiction and one of my all time favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read the sequel?

Personally, liked the promise and chosen a lot more.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you read the sequel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I read the sequel. These are the Potok I've read:

The Chosen
The Promise
My Name is Asher Lev
The Book of Lights (I'm pretty sure I read this one at least.)
Davita's Harp
The Gift of Asher Lev
I Am the Clay

I am drawn to the reverence of the people and community he portrays.

My Name is Asher Lev is my favorite for a few reasons. First, I have no artistic side at all and it gave me insght into how it must feel to be an artist, (hence the recommendation to Katie - also Picasso's appearances throughout in Asher's psyche). Second I loved the conflict of his painting with the theme of cruxifiction, how it was raw honesty, yet fated to a reaction of horror among his own people.

He's one of my favorite authors. It's been a while since I've read his work. I should revisit it or pick up one of the ones I missed.

I would put The Chosen as next on my lists of favorites.

Any others you recommend?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did you read the sequel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I read the sequel. These are the Potok I've read:

The Chosen
The Promise
My Name is Asher Lev
The Book of Lights (I'm pretty sure I read this one at least.)
Davita's Harp
The Gift of Asher Lev
I Am the Clay

I am drawn to the reverence of the people and community he portrays.

My Name is Asher Lev is my favorite for a few reasons. First, I have no artistic side at all and it gave me insght into how it must feel to be an artist, (hence the recommendation to Katie - also Picasso's appearances throughout in Asher's psyche). Second I loved the conflict of his painting with the theme of cruxifiction, how it was raw honesty, yet fated to a reaction of horror among his own people.

He's one of my favorite authors. It's been a while since I've read his work. I should revisit it or pick up one of the ones I missed.

I would put The Chosen as next on my lists of favorites.

Any others you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

you have read all the books (and then some) by him that i have (those 4)
thought he was a solid author.