FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: A Few Things I Noticed Playing NL$25

wall st,

Your example is perfect.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Nice post 42_it

I played some sessions of NL25 and will be playing some more on crypto again soon, as I only have 200$ on there after a small tilty session @Nl50 ( with 6buyin site roll) -similar to you.

[ QUOTE ]

6) Most players do not understand how to properly size their bets/raises. Take advantage of slim draws when villain offers you juicy odds (8-1 on a gut shot is probably worth it because these guys pay off when you hit) . When you hit they will think you suck and give you even more action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ye I found this works both ways, both as 42_it says we can often draw cheaply but also when I'm betting I'm getting lotsa value. I found very few players betting 3/4pot amounts or pfr/3betting decently. On the flip side I often if need to pot control let weak bettors bet for me.

other observations:

1. I was surprised how well cbetting worked, I thought I'll get more calls but didn't. I often cbettd overs 3way more and was less inclined with slim overpair PPs (like 99 on 6xx flop)as I saw a decent amount of overcard floating if u can call it that.

2. As AJ once said SCs in position are gold, I limped alot stuff in CO/BTN rather than PFR(though still HU 1limper I raised) playing hit hard or let me cheaply draw in positon in 6 by 42_it above. As an aside raising draws on the flop was rare and nicely deceptive when u hit, they think you have a TP type of hand when it hits and u continue betting.

3. I struggled with donk bets, raising them as perceived weak hands/draws -sometimed villans donk lead turn after calling a flop raise (after donking)with a monster - I guess scared of missing getting money -and I was obviusly betting for value as often this is a weak hand @ nl50 and ended up value stacking myself several times.

4. hardly anyone 3bet. 3bet pots villans play atrociusly - they call off 5$ of their stack with junk and then end up AI with weak 1pair hands . (I play them badly too as anyone whos played with me can testify FWIW).

LOL I bet now I get creamed the next 2 weeks and end up posting a losing NL25 graph @ the end of the month :P

(small ks sample size obv [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, now when I make my How to crush NL50 thread, everyone will think I'm copying you.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I make my how to get crushed at 100nl thread, I will be original.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plz make this soon, I'll be joining the half-SSNL/uNL next month If I stop playing badly (and get my finger out and post icky hands)
ELSE nl25 for a while [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM

2) When a draw hits and a two-street caller leads for a 1/2 pot or less, he hit it.
3) A min-bet lead is almost always a draw. If the pot is 3-way or HU, raise it up with any two cards. If he calls then he has a monster (low % of the time) and you can shut down.

I just left 25 NL and i can strongly disagree with both of these.

2) I have consistantly (enough to make calling very profitable) seen people donkbet nothing, I remember yesterday I had like AK on a board of like AK1094 (4 spade) board I had 66 donkbet into me on the river like half the pot, to which I happily called (he had no spade) basically the message here is, check you're odds, if its a smallish bet insta-call 100% of the time, long term ur profitable (unless u have a read otherwise for whatever reason) I'm 100% confident in this

3) He will not always have a monster in this situation, in fact he can have an airish hand, even to call, if he checks you can fire again on the turn BUT these people raising you on the turn HAVE YOU BEAT, especially if its a smallish raise, folding TPTK is fine here even with good-great odds, they have you sooo often.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:41 PM

bump.

- awesome post Frank [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and I concur with your observations.

Edit: - now appearing in an Essential Selection Sticky near you...
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 PM

I think there are quite a few categories of players in these games.. Maniacs, Nits, Bad Lags, Bad Tags, and stations preflop who tighten up on flop. The guys that are 50/4 are the ones that give me the most problems. I try to put most of my moves on the tags since I know they love betting but can lay down a hand.. so I C/R instead of c-bet sometimes, 4 bet bluff them etc. I just try to avoid the nits. Maniacs and bad lags are pretty close in character with the maniacs obviously having higher agression.. the lags just like to float you with anything on the flop.

I like to try to classify most of the people I'm playing with that way I know who I can put a move on.. who I shouldn't be paying off.. etc..
Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 PM

Any chance you feel like inverting this as a "what to expect when you move to $100NL" guide?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, now when I make my How to crush NL50 thread, everyone will think I'm copying you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
emc lets team up and figure out how to beat 100nl for 6+bb/100 (my goal for right now). ship

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys want me to write this?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 11:09 PM

Not having read the OP for a couple reasons, I'm just going to state a couple things I'm assuming are correct in 25NL.

1. few to no semi-bluffs are made (or are effective)
2. don't bluff
3. play straight forward poker- bet bet bet your good hands. generally fold to raises. don't put moves on players.
4. table select- lots of bad players, don't play the good ones.
5. don't think you have to win every pot, since you don't.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, now when I make my How to crush NL50 thread, everyone will think I'm copying you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
emc lets team up and figure out how to beat 100nl for 6+bb/100 (my goal for right now). ship

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys want me to write this?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of irony in that stateament.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance you feel like inverting this as a "what to expect when you move to $100NL" guide?

[/ QUOTE ]
increased aggression (like all levels), encountering newer concepts such as floating/bluff raising/slowplaying in different spots, better opponents, learning to use table image a bit better, adjusting to regulars a bit better, cant think of anything else off the top of my head.