Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Egocidal\'s Weight Loss Log (uggghh...pics)

jg, good diet recap.

ego, just like the previous workout log you posted, the last one focuses way to much on isolation (of biceps and triceps.) This is quite wasteful considering your goals are getting strong and lean.

Check out some of the other threads on Rippetoe's program.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 AM

But isnt having three days a week workout, with each day rather isolated, still a good workout? I do cardio and pushups and situps each day regardless.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM

No excuses. That's something I've been telling myself since last summer. When I [censored] up, its my fault, I'm not going to blame metabolism or circumstances or whatever. Looking at the past week, I've definitely been doing so, and its time to stop. Yesterday to celebrate my first weekday of freedom from pledge work I got blazed as [censored] in the morning. I ate 4 [censored] BOWLS OF CEREAL for breakfast. Jesus. The only saving grace is that it isn't frosted flakes or something, its Special K. Lunch didn't exist cause I was asleep, but dinner was a large PB&J and a toffee latte freeze.

I gained 3 lbs yesterday. I weighed 215 and today I've weighed myself at three different times and I am now 218. So I took that rage to the gym, forgot my notes for a workout, and did this:

(note: this may be too isolated still, but I have yet to read the rippetoe thing. will do asap)

10 minutes elliptical.
Shoulder Rear Delt Raises: 12/20, 10/25, 8/30
Incline Press w/ dumbells: 12/50, 10/55, 8/60
Military Press w/ dumbells: 12/45, 10/50, 8/55
Chest fly: 12/85, 10/100
Shoulder Shrugs: 12/60, 10/65, 8/70
Bench Press: don't remember, did two plates of 45 on each side, then 55 on each side? I was tired by then.

1 mile sprint on treadmill.

Ate half a pb/j for breakfast, and started to get an egg w/ no cheese burrito for lunch. Threw it out 5 bites in because it was gross and it was like monday morning all over again. I'll try to have something good for dinner. I have practice at 3:30 and I'll get more cardio then for sure.

I'd like to point out that I'm not trying to get a full body workout most of the time. I don't need to be a star athlete, rugby is for fun. I agree that bi's and tri's now seems a little concentrated for one day's workout, but something like shoulders/chest on another day and legs/back on the third workout seems ok. I'm going to read the rippetoe thing now, see if I come up with a new idea.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What is the best way for me to get to 200 lbs and look badass? GO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Squat, deadlift, press, power clean.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Read beginning of rippetoe thread just now. looks interesting. So unconventional though to not work out bis/tris/back/etc specifically, instead just doing these. I'll try it starting tomorrow. Hey, playoffs in two weeks. Maybe this will make my legs that much more powerful, i dunno. maybe just sore.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So unconventional though to not work out bis/tris/back/et

[/ QUOTE ] He does work the back. Thats rows or powercleans and deadlifts. Also working biceps and triceps dont make you strong. Squats, Deads, Cleans and Bench do.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 PM

So if I want to keep those defined, will they see benefit from these excercizes? Or can I train them in the off days?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 PM

The rows/cleans will hit the biceps and the bench and press will get the triceps.

Is this really unconventional? It seems like back to old fashioned basics. In fact when I first looked at the book on amazon I thought it was going to be 30 years old.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM

I don't know, I've never had a trainer or anything, and I've always just done what everyone else was doing at the gym. I guess that's what led my physique to look like it does now. Even though I lost weight, there are parts of my body (shoulders, back) that lack the same definition as others. I suppose keeping it in the core is best overall then, we'll see how it goes.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, I've never had a trainer or anything, and I've always just done what everyone else was doing at the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because 95% of those in the gym have no clue what they are doing. Men's Health style weight training is a joke.