Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: PS 4/180 early FT hand, yet another ugly flop for AKo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem is with the initial reraise. With AK and these stack sizes, you are better off making a large reraise and planning to get the money in regardless or just flat calling. The small reraise OOP puts you in a difficult situation the 2/3 of the time you miss the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point about the small re-raise. In fact, I couldn't even believe I'd done that until I saw the HH. It was well past midnight, and the stack sizes were awkward.

I actually did what a few have recommended, that is, make a wimpy c bet, then fold when he shoves (which he did), which is what is making me hate the whole play. I'm also wondering about just shoving pf, even with an M of about 13, as it's the only way to get to see 5 cards if I get called. Such a huge overbet can't be right though, can it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't really want to make a cbet and fold to a raise with AK, because you may be ahead on the flop, and if not have about a 25% chance of beating a pair.

You might be better off to check and maybe get a free card. If villain bets, you can either checkraise allin or fold.

Preflop, I think small reraises are fine in general, but bad with this hand, stack sizes, and being OOP.

Pushing preflop is playable, but may look like AK. I would probably make a large reraise and push any flop or bet enough on the flop to make me pot committed. This is a go and go and is not that different from pushing.

Flat calling preflop is not bad in this situation, as you generally stack someone who makes a lower top pair. If you miss the flop, there are various ways of playing it, and you can toss it cheaply or play it strongly.

I think you automatically made your standard reraise with AK without looking closely at the situation.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: PS 4/180 early FT hand, yet another ugly flop for AKo

I think I just call PF. The raise leaves HERO with a stack 2x the pot seeing the flop which is not all that great IMO.

But I'm just a limit cash donkey starting to play more MTTs, so take it for what it is worth.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]