Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Weight Training for Running/Soccer

Microbob...Distance running is good for soccer, but shouldnt be over emphasized. Throughout HS and College I would probably have 1 day where i ran between 3-5 miles but that was about it. Distance running does help the overall system so its not harmful by any means. (outside mids need to be decent in this category)

The big thing is that in soccer you wont run more than 100 yards and generally most players might run 50 yards at at time. When you do make these runs though they are generally all out sprints or involving a lot of cutting. Distance running wont improve the necessary muscles to help with these.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 PM

I've thought about this some more regarding my husband/wife duo on the coed team who are trying for the half-marathon.

The girl is my center-mid actually (yes, she's that good) and it seems to me she's not quite as sharp and quick as I think she had been before.
Still an awesome player, but her speed just seems to be slightly less.

Thought it was maybe from her being a bit tired from working all day or is playing on too many teams.
But now I wonder if that slow-twitch/fast-twitch stuff from her distance running (up to 7-8 mile runs she tells me) is perhaps making a difference too.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:20 PM

I think what youll see the most is that they can run for a while but their cutting wont be as sharp nor will they be able to get up to speed as fast..thats a different style of running
Old 04-04-2007, 03:25 PM

The idea that distance running hurts sprinting is a common sentiment on baseball forums - that somehow it screws up your 60' time. There isn't really any evidence to the idea that you are "training your body to run slow" at all. Distance running will not hurt your ability to sprint.

However, distance running alone will not increase your ability to sprint, either.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bruiser,
Playing competitive soccer requires a lot of core strength/balance exercises to deal with physical play. Try to incorporate stability balls into your weight lifting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh,

Any kind of sport requires balance and a strong midsection
Anything requires balance and a strong midsection
Doing random movements that somehow incorporate balls is not the best way to that goal

Core training is simply the newest buzzword which seems to demand and imply that folks exercise, eat, and sleep on stability balls. It's sadly even invading gyms (as opposed to the standard frat curl [curls with a full bar done inside a power rack] Ive recently seen guys doing weak (90lbs total?!?) deadlifts while standing on bosu balls... come on).

Working on your "core" would be great. You need midsection strength to do everything/anything with maximum efficiency. For many people I think lower back/Abs are problems when it comes to power production; increased focus on that area is the sole positive of the "core" movement.

IMO (and I think Im backed up by a number of reasonable posters/facts) if you want a stronger mid section its time for complex lifts with challenging weight. All the stability balls in the world will not give you the level of functional strength improvement you would see from quality Olympic lifting, heavy(ier) squatting and deadlifting, etc.

I ran high school cross country and lifted recreationally during that time (so as not to be a twig). Hardcore running and lifting are taxing on the body by themselves; in tandem preventing over training and straight out depletion/damage from over training will be a challenge. If you have your heart set on a marathon I would suggest focusing on that at the expense (because no matter what it will cut in to) your frisbee.

Summary: Dont be sucked in by a fad. Holding a heavy weight over your head and controlling its movement will demand far more from your "core" than any balls can provide and such heavy complex and explosive lifting is pretty much the nuts as far as gaining functional strength. Clean and Jerk your way to a truly stronger midsection; leave the squats done on stability balls for other people.

And good luck with the marathon goal just realize in the mean time that it may hurt your other pursuits a bit and subject you to a lot more physical stress.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:31 PM

bruiser, kyleb has a pretty good plan. a lot of the others stuff is dumb. squats and in general leg lifting isn necessary imo.

to really increase your explosiveness, jumping rope and lunges worked the best for me. the improvement was very drastic as i went from average to one of the quickest on the field.

also, strengthening your abs will do wonders on your soccer game esp your ability to strike the ball for power. power shots is all about the torque generated from your midsection. powerful quads is secondary.

a great way to incorporate skills and explosiveness is to set cones up about 8 yards apart. then dribble back and forth between the cones changing directions with different techniques. do each move with both feet.
1) cut with the inside of the foot
2) cut with the outside
3) cut behind your leg
4) scissors and cut
5) pull ball back

the most important thing to concentrate on is your first step after you change directions. really focus on exploding here. this should tire you out. also, concentrate on cutting as quickly and sharply as possible.

once your ball skills and comfort level increase throw a shoulder/head fake into your cuts.

google coerver coaching methods for more great moves.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Bruiseface,

checkout meltdown training 1 and 2, a workout where you have little or no rest, between exercises, keeping your heart rate up, is the best way to go. Along with jingle jangles (suicides I think some call it) on a steep hill, and a lot of actual soccer playing, is the way to go. I played in college and at a top rated HS, it wasnt until I started weight training (after I quit college soccer) that I really started to perform at max capacity.