Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: 2 big multiway razz hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The river calls make me cringe a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the pot is sooooooooooooooooooo big in both of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which makes it correct to light $60 on fire?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 AM

OK ..... so I'm a mixed game noob and new Razz fan. One question about hand #1.

Is folding to the 1st raise a bad idea???

I mean with no A or even a 2 facing a raise. I mean maybe I'm thinking too tight but to me when I dont have at least a 2 I consider myself to be "chasing" most of the time.

I realize that Razz tends to be looser than some of the other games .... and apparently so at this table .....lol .... but I would have tended to fold to the 1st raise but if the table (players in the hand) or real loose then I suppose I would Open-raise into the 9's and J.

I personally dont like to open-limp very often in the 7 card games unless I'm rolled up or have a 3-bike on third.

-mike
Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK ..... so I'm a mixed game noob and new Razz fan. One question about hand #1.

Is folding to the 1st raise a bad idea???

I mean with no A or even a 2 facing a raise. I mean maybe I'm thinking too tight but to me when I dont have at least a 2 I consider myself to be "chasing" most of the time.

I realize that Razz tends to be looser than some of the other games .... and apparently so at this table .....lol .... but I would have tended to fold to the 1st raise but if the table (players in the hand) or real loose then I suppose I would Open-raise into the 9's and J.

I personally dont like to open-limp very often in the 7 card games unless I'm rolled up or have a 3-bike on third.

-mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Kudos for trying out some new games here, Mike. Before the other posters in this forum attempt to corrupt you, I'll offer a couple words of advice.

Razz is NOT Omaha hi/lo

I know this seems obvious, but A2 is only a hair better than 25 or 34 because there are no community cards. And a hand like 743 is a better starter than 92A and not likely too far behind whatever the guy with the 6 in the door has in the hole.

If the raise and reraise had been from a 3 door, and then the 6 door, you could certainly justify a fold since you are likely to have the worst hand of the three. Raising with the 9 up is just stupid, and stupid players make lots of mistakes you can capitalize on later.

GL
Old 03-22-2007, 12:42 PM

Wow Ok so I think I have been approaching Razz all wrong this whole time. What a donk....lol.

So its the lowest high card of the 5 cards hand that makes the hand and NOT the lowest low card???? Is that correct???

If it is then I am embarrased [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ......... because I thought all the low (or split) games held Aces as the nut card.

No wonder my crew are always happy when I suggest we play Razz in a mixed game. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks

-mike
Old 03-22-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Ok so I think I have been approaching Razz all wrong this whole time. What a donk....lol.

So its the lowest high card of the 5 cards hand that makes the hand and NOT the lowest low card???? Is that correct???

If it is then I am embarrased [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ......... because I thought all the low (or split) games held Aces as the nut card.

No wonder my crew are always happy when I suggest we play Razz in a mixed game. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks

-mike

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a common mistake. FTP and Pokerstars both have explanations of all the rules of razz, so check them out for more info. BTW, where is your home game? I'll be right over.... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,losing two big bets stings, but is a minor mistake to losing the approx. 24BB pot in hand one and 17BB pot in hand 2. You only have to win about 4-6% of those hands to make it correct. And hero's hand is not THAT bad in either case. In the 2nd example, the last bet of all in could be made with just about anything, and only cost $51. IIRC, in the first example hero was ahead on 6th street, so why give the bettor automatic credit for drawing out, when the pot is so big?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,losing two big bets stings, but is a minor mistake to losing the approx. 24BB pot in hand one and 17BB pot in hand 2. You only have to win about 4-6% of those hands to make it correct. And hero's hand is not THAT bad in either case. In the 2nd example, the last bet of all in could be made with just about anything, and only cost $51. IIRC, in the first example hero was ahead on 6th street, so why give the bettor automatic credit for drawing out, when the pot is so big?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget these are two completely separate hands here. In both you are getting huge pot odds to call, both have seat 8 who is a maniac, but there are some key differences.

Hand 1:
Seat 8 may have paired 6th st, and is certainly capable of bluffing the river if he missed again. Seat 3 knows this as well and may feel obliged to call with a T or a 98, and have a decision to call or raise if he makes an 8. Your overcall here with a 9 is mandatory.

Hand 2:
Seat 6 bet out on 6th st, was raised by the maniac repping an 8, but still called behind you when you show 976. He MUST be able to beat your 976 at least at this point. You don't improve on the river, so you can be 100% SURE at least seat 6 has you beat. If you're inclined to call here, please just transfer the $51 to my pokerstars account instead.