Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Pokertracker, PAHUD, PosgreSQL, = Do I need a faster processor?

[ QUOTE ]
Could upgrading PostgreSQL be helpful? I tried to do this, but I don't at all understand how to download it from postgresql.org. I need a big button that says DOWNLOAD NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's doubtful that this will offer any improvement and could even cause problems. When last I checked the documentation for Poker Tracker (at least a year ago), it recommended a specific version of PostgreSQL and said the latest version was not supported. So, I'd go with the version recommended by the Poker Tracker developer.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 AM

The latest version of PostgreSQL is now supported, however its not exactly easy for a novice user to upgrade.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The latest version of PostgreSQL is now supported, however its not exactly easy for a novice user to upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I noticed. Any tips? Or link to a walkthrough?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I noticed. Any tips? Or link to a walkthrough?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think there's a guide on the PT forums somewhere. It does offer some nice speed increases, so if you can wade through the instructions its worth it.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have an AMD 3400+ with 1G of RAM and my Poker Tracker does fine with my huge database (2.5 years of data playing full time). As others have said, make sure you turn off auto-rating (extremely important). Also, if you're displaying stats in Poker Tracker, it's necessary to filter the date range of data. I only display data for the current week. The relevant stats for all players should already be displayed by PAD. Also, if you're not already doing this, make sure you've set Poker Tracker to move processed files to a new directory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'm ever displaying stats in pokertracker while I'm playing...is it still necessary to filter if so? Why would I want to filter for only the last week?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'm ever displaying stats in pokertracker while I'm playing...is it still necessary to filter if so? Why would I want to filter for only the last week?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't displaying stats in Poker Tracker, then you don't need to worry about filtering. I like to keep the stats window open so I can see how I'm doing in my current sessions. If I don't filter the data, then Poker Tracker never catches up.

I had the same problem as you previously. It would take 5-10 minutes to update Poker Tracker. That was until I realized I needed to turn auto-rate players off (all players). Now it literally updates in 2 seconds. Are you sure you don't have auto-rate players checked?

Also, make sure all your RAM is being recognized by your computer (perhaps one of your memory sticks is loose and not being used). Another possibility is that PostgreSQL is not configured to make best use of your memory. Look at your postgresql.conf file and see what shared_buffers is set to (mine is set to 15000 - I don't believe I changed it after install). If it's too small, PostgreSQL won't have enough memory to work with. I'm running version 8.0 btw. You might want to try a google search on optimizing PostgreSQL for other ideas.

You really do have plenty of machine. Installing a newer version of PostgreSQL will probably only result in minimal speedup unless the default configuration is better optimized to make use of your RAM. And triple check that auto-rate players is not checked.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:25 AM

Since you are using PostreSQL and a PAHUD, you should periodically defrag your databases. Follow the instructions in this link here from the poker tracker forums.

What this "defrag" does is sort and organize the information that is stored in the database. As is, the database stores the information in the order that it is received, i.e. the order in which the hands are played. The "defrag" will lessen the time and resources that it takes PokerAce and other HUD devices to query the database.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:03 AM

The defrag trick above works as advertised. Do that.

No one mentioned vacuuming the database. Vacuum regularly. It's Utilities | PostgreSQL Database Functions in the PT menu.

If your handhistory directory has a lot of non-hold'em histories in it, PT's first import will take a long time as it has to meet and greet all these files before it knows to ignore them.

A 10K or 15K RPM disk drive will cut seek times and improve the performance of database tasks.

If you install the latest pgAdmin (installation is easy and harmless), you can use it to adjust the amount of memory PostgreSQL is permitted to use. I read this tuning article, and increased work_mem and shared_buffers by 10x each, causing measurable improvement in retrieval speed.