Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Miami vs. Akron - WTF is happening?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's always the chance that they did not want to alert them to the fact that time should be taken off in case they would disallow the shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can't do this. Even if the clock started late, the play stands. They can correct the clock after the play if theres a problem with it, but they cannot change the results of the play since people were playing according to how the clock was running at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assani! Seth Davis just said he spoke with the supervisor of officials and he said that they COULD have waived off the basket. Did you make this rule up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong and clearly Seth Davis knows more than me concerning this, but what you say makes no sense to me....

When running down the court to take a last second shot, the players are going by the clock that they see. Clearly if they knew that there was less time left, they would've shot the ball earlier. It just seems completely unfair to the shooting team to waive off their shot because the clock would've expired had it started on time.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ball inbounded.

Clock does not start right away.

Buzzer goes off as game winning shot goes in.

Ref's decide time should be added since the clock didn't start right away (WTF?)

Miami wins anyways.

We find out MicrBOB went to about 100 straight Miami of Ohio basketball games (WTF?)

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. The officials must have went to school in the MAC conference or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone can afford to go to an academic powerhouse such as Ohio State.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 AM

Mentioned it already in the other thread:

Akron got snubbed by the NIT.
Poor guys get 26 freaking wins.
And their 7 losses were by a combined 21 points. And they aren't going anywhere.

Pretty pathetic.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just checked the video again and as best I can tell I think he clearly had released the ball with 1.6 left on the clock.

I don't think the clock was more than 1.0 late in starting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in complete agreement with this MicroBob
what's worse is I heard clips on national sports radio of the Akron coach claiming his team might have been robbed by the timing error
No need for this stuff with how much officials are paid
Old 03-12-2007, 06:05 PM

This coach had a great team but he might be an idiot.

He justified playing all cupcakes at home in their non-conf schedule by saying he didn't want to have to take his great seniors (former H.S. teammates of Lebron) out of the area all the time for a bunch of road games in their last year.

Well, they hosed themselves for any NCAA consideration and ended up getting snubbed by the NIT also.

And now he's saying on the radio that he got jobbed by the officials on this one?
C'mon.
I think any coach with any amount of self-respect could look at that video and realize that the delay in starting the clock wasn't that long and also see that the Miami kid (Doug Penno) took the shot with 1.5 or 1.6 secs left.

If the delay in the clock was more than 1 second AND if he didn't release it until 0.2 on the clock or something then he could have a gripe.
But the clock didn't even hit zero until that high-arcing shot actually went through the basket.

I feel bad for them because they deserve at least an NIT bid and they really did have a good team this year.
But they did not get screwed by the officials or the clock on that play.

They didn't even deserve the 0.6 secs at the end that they got as best I can tell and I still don't understand why nobody is even pointing that out.

Okay, so the play actually took close to 7 seconds (after ball went through basket) and the buzzer should have sounded right when it left his hand instead of when it made it to the basket.
That means you do NOT put any time back on the clock.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:38 PM

okay, I know most on here couldn't give two hoots about the MAC and really aren't that interested.
But I'm still kind of stuck on the whole thing.

i looked around a little more closely and saw a sports-writer's blog where he references the bizarreness of ADDING time to the clock after the time-keeper started it LATE.

So evidently I wasn't the only one who was paying attention here.

http://www.buchtelite.com/2007/0313/news_01.shtml

"In its first year of running the NIT, the NCAA turned the tournament into an old boys club.

Let's move on to the MAC, which isn't so much corrupt as it is incompetent. It chose Lamar Simpson as its head official for the MAC Championship game. He has all the vision of Mr. Magoo and the intelligence of a drunken Paris Hilton.

His ineptitude paid off nicely for the league after Penno hit the game-winning shot on Saturday. The game clock operator started the clock about 1.3 seconds late. So Simpson showed off his foolish decision-making skills by putting more time on the clock.

Let me break this down in plain English. When the clock starts late, you should consider if Penno had time to release the buzzer-beater. In essence, you'd be taking time away. Instead, he added 0.6 seconds to the game clock, giving Akron about one-third of the time Christian Laettner had to knock down a history-making shot after a full-court pass in 1992.

I don't know whether Simpson was trying to appease an angry Akron bench or if he's really that stupid.

It doesn't matter. Game over. Zips lose. And so end the careers of Dru Joyce and Romeo Travis, who deserve a memorable sendoff, not a kick in the pants."
Old 03-14-2007, 05:50 PM

At least it didn't have an effect on the outcome of the game. How about the Texas/Kansas game where the officials apparently counted a Kansas basket when the Kansas shooter was called for an offensive foul? (See 6:04 of the play-by-play: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playby...5&period=2 )

I remember thinking about it when it happened, but forgetting about it until Bill Simmons mentioned it later. I went back to check my DVR to confirm, but I had already erased it.

(Note: Yahoo Answers says that, in college basketball, the basket counts if the ball is in the air when the foul is committed: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1204957AAhYPaV )
Old 03-14-2007, 05:51 PM

In other news, Akron gets 26 wins and is only the 3rd team to get that many wins and be denied an NCAA bid.
No big surprise. Their schedule was iffy and they didn't really think they had much of a shot.

But to then get snubbed by the NIT does have Akron in the appropriate uproar. Akron was 26-7 (1 win against non-D1) with 2 great seniors (H.S. teammates of Lebron) and finished 58th in the Sagarin.

I'm reminded of this when I see a 150th ranked South Alabama team that ended the year with 4 straight losses is playing tonight (they won their conf reg-season which got them the auto-bid though).

The Akron head-coach is partly blaming the league for not getting the info out there that the MAC doesn't suck.
There are other people calling for commissioner Rick Chryst to resign.

The Akron coach has stated publicly that he doesn't think the MAC is a good conference for Akron because of what happened here.
Also hinted that he's heart-broken enough by this where he will consider leaving for other coaching positions even though he's an Akron guy.

Also talk of extreme bias by a big-school heavy NIT committee favoring the big-conference schools.

From the blog I found about this:

I've always thought of Keith Dambrot as an Akron guy, and he is.

But I've always assumed he'd coach the Zips for a long time, and that assumption got a little cloudier when I spoke with him today.

"I get frustrated," he said. "I can't say I won't get to the point where I wouldn't look (for another job). This is the biggest injustice I've ever been a part of."

Dambrot said he plans to call each member of the NIT selection committee to ask why his team was not invited.

"I owe that to my team," he said.

Dambrot also questioned Akron's membership in the MAC.

"The MAC hasn't used their brain," the coach said. "I've said before that I don't think the MAC is a good league for Akron."

I asked him to name some better conferences to suit the Zips and he named Conference USA, the Big East and the Atlantic 10 (although the A10 doesn't have football).

I also talked to Rick Boyages, associate commissioner of the MAC, who basically said the Zips needed to schedule some big-conference teams. As former interim coach at Ohio State when Nick Dials was there and a personal friend of Dambrot, Boyages seemed really sympathic to the Zips.

"It breaks my heart that guys like Travis and Joyce won't have one more chance," Boyages said.