Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Bin
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Daniel\'s book - Sold Out

I flipped through the book today at a local book store.

Pretty much useless for anyone who has played poker before. It's a poker book for dummies essentially.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:01 AM

ya, the first book is just a collection of his blogs/cardplayer articles over the years. Nothing worth buying. The second book however should be pretty good.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:09 AM

I will buy this book on tape if he does the narrating in an asian accent.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 AM

Hi Everyone:

This is a subject I know a good deal about, perhaps more than anyone else in the poker business.

The 30,000 sales most likely includes many books that are currently on the shelves of the book stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble. Usually, for orders this large this quickly, (according to Amazon it has only been out two months), it means that the publisher/distributor, has purchased a promotion(s) in the store. This typically means that a book will be given better placement such as top shelf or on a table near the entrance. It also means the chain will stock more books in their stores to start. But it also means that if the book doesn't sell well there will be a lot of returns.

Another point is that this is only a $14.95 book, which is actually quite cheap for a poker book. Most of our books sell for double that.

For comparison, during the first two months of sales, we had orders for 19,000 Harrington I, 38,000 copies of Harrington II, 30,000 copies of Harrington III, and 25,000 copies of No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice. If you multiplied each of these by 2, you get a fair comparison to the lower priced Negreanu book.

But in reality, as TT points out, these numbers don't really mean that much. If the returns start coming in, they can be very deceptive and expensive for the publisher. If sales stay strong, as they have with the four books I just mentioned, then the number is a great start.

By the way, of the Two Plus Two books mentioned, you may notice that Harrington I had the smallest initial orders. But since it's release it has been our best selling book and is still going strong. In two-and-a-quarter years its sales are now 199,200 books (and we expect to break 200,000 this week). That would be the equivalent of 400,000 copies of Hold 'em Wisdom for All Players. And based on the Amazon sales rank which has already slipped a good deal, that will never happen.

One final point which I like to make in these threads. We have worked very hard to put out great books which will sell well for a long time and have a very small return rate. This allows us to pay much higher royalty rates than almost all other publishers. Put another way, our authors make in general three to five times what most other poker book authors are making. Specifically, this means that they not only make much more per book in absolute dollars, but overall sales tend to be better as well.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-12-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

This is a subject I know a good deal about, perhaps more than anyone else in the poker business.

The 30,000 sales most likely includes many books that are currently on the shelves of the book stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble. Usually, for orders this large this quickly, (according to Amazon it has only been out two months), it means that the publisher/distributor, has purchased a promotion(s) in the store. This typically means that a book will be given better placement such as top shelf or on a table near the entrance. It also means the chain will stock more books in their stores to start. But it also means that if the book doesn't sell well there will be a lot of returns.

Another point is that this is only a $14.95 book, which is actually quite cheap for a poker book. Most of our books sell for double that.

For comparison, during the first two months of sales, we had orders for 19,000 Harrington I, 38,000 copies of Harrington II, 30,000 copies of Harrington III, and 25,000 copies of No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice. If you multiplied each of these by 2, you get a fair comparison to the lower priced Negreanu book.

But in reality, as TT points out, these numbers don't really mean that much. If the returns start coming in, they can be very deceptive and expensive for the publisher. If sales stay strong, as they have with the four books I just mentioned, then the number is a great start.

By the way, of the Two Plus Two books mentioned, you may notice that Harrington I had the smallest initial orders. But since it's release it has been our best selling book and is still going strong. In two-and-a-quarter years its sales are now 199,200 books (and we expect to break 200,000 this week). That would be the equivalent of 400,000 copies of Hold 'em Wisdom for All Players. And based on the Amazon sales rank which has already slipped a good deal, that will never happen.

One final point which I like to make in these threads. We have worked very hard to put out great books which will sell well for a long time and have a very small return rate. This allows us to pay much higher royalty rates than almost all other publishers. Put another way, our authors make in general three to five times what most other poker book authors are making. Specifically, this means that they not only make much more per book in absolute dollars, but overall sales tend to be better as well.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome post
Old 03-12-2007, 02:45 AM

Masons pimp hand is strong.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if he mentioned it, but that's like a buck fifty in Johnny Hughes' money.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:21 AM

Just to set the record straight, the book that I'm currently writing is the one that would be better suited for a sophisticated audience, one that already plays pretty well but wants to get better.

The first book, is essentially a collection of syndicated newspaper columns that I've written over the years and are geared towards novice players.

There isn't anything Earth shattering in that book, because frankly, it really wasn't targeted at the audience who would be interesting in a sophisticated, advanced book.

It reads, "Hold'em Wisdom for All Players" which could easily be misunderstood, IMO. All players, in that anyone can read it and understand it. Not as in, all players will benefit equally from this book.

Many of you, that are already successful online players, likely won't learn much from it. I will say this, though, I think there is some information in the "big book" that will certainly help your hold'em game, specifically for deep stacked WPT events. Much of the writing I'm doing will focus on winning million dollar events using a betting approach that keeps pots small, and looks to exploit weaker players for more profit than a traditional approach.

In doing that, the goal is to build a formidable stack at low risk, and then protect that stack all the way down to the final table by throwing lots of jabs with very few rabid punches in between.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 AM

Hi Daniel.

The $10,000 question is when is the big book coming out?

I am one of many that have been seeing ever changing release dates on Amazon for months.

I appreciate what seems like a slow and steady effort to make sure a good book is released.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 AM

It's a REALLY big book with lots to cover before it looks the way I want it to look. Not to mention the various contributing writers work that needs to be edited as well. Takes way lokger than I expected actually, but in the end, I don't want to rush it, only to realize later that there were mistakes in it.