Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: StudHi Great 4th street...now what??

PT stats:

Three of a kind 645 times, went to showdown 403 times. Won showdown 67%. Bet with TTT on the river.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:13 PM

If he brought it in complete (as it seems like he did), I would certainly fold on third street after two overcards called the bet. I would also raise on 4th right away and hope to build a nice big pot rather than getting fancy with it - with the boards as they are, you might have cost yourself a lot of action. Of course, it worked perfectly in this instance.

And, the river is a cake bet. If you are going to play marginal hands on third, at least be sure to get full value out of them and don't fear monsters under the bed. A flush very well might not raise, fearing a full house and you will also be called by many worse hands.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 AM

Hero is playing 6 stud, three Qs and another 6 out. No one is going to fear a boat. If they catch the draw, they'll raise.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 AM

Perhaps, but you still have to bet this river.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is playing 6 stud, three Qs and another 6 out. No one is going to fear a boat. If they catch the draw, they'll raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

and why isn't that good?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 AM

This thread has given me some more thought on something I've wondered about lately. The strength of trip tens versus other trips. Has anyone ever calculated before (or run simulations) on the true strength of TTT versus JJJ+ ? I don't doubt TTT runs better than JJJ but can it overcome KKK+ just because of the broadway blockers?

I'd like to see some hard data on this.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has given me some more thought on something I've wondered about lately. The strength of trip tens versus other trips. Has anyone ever calculated before (or run simulations) on the true strength of TTT versus JJJ+ ? I don't doubt TTT runs better than JJJ but can it overcome KKK+ just because of the broadway blockers?

I'd like to see some hard data on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have run an equity sim on 2 dimes to find out - link.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 AM

Alright thanks TT. I went off and ran some sims, came back then went off again to run some more. It seems situational dependent. Assuming vs a lone opponent who only comes at you with broadway cards (assuming none of his match yours), and you have a choice between AAA or TTT:

Indeed, TTT is a favourite if he starts of non-paired. Otherwise you MUST choose the AAA.

Of course this may not be that helpful as you often won't know what your up against, but I suppose if i can take it to the next level (ANY 3-RANDOM BROADWAY) I can get a more generic value. In 7CS by Zee there were some pages in the back of matchups, I think they had it up to 100K simulations per match. This 2-Dimes version runs half a million and I'm surprised it seems to answere instantaneous.

I suppose the semi-pros here have them all memorized... I've been meaning to get the time to do that.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This 2-Dimes version runs half a million and I'm surprised it seems to answere instantaneous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, the wonders of technology.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bear the check is fine. A bet here is going to fold at least one hand, maybe two. The Qs are on a draw and I think the BI is also, because he really slowed down. So you're risking 1 BB and could get nothing. This is not a value bet.

[/ QUOTE ] Wrong. Betting 4th and the river for value are clearly correct. A good player realizes these crucual value betting opportunities. A poor player hits the 'check' button way too often.