Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: No Chris Simon thread?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For me, that has to be a season long suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen you comment in a hockey thread.

It's amazing how these incidents bring people out who've no idea what the sport is about to comment on how long a suspension should be.

also, lol at Orr 'destroying' Simon. Simon can handle himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to watch hockey regularly to know that was brutal and deserves a long suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do to know what similar incidents have gotten over the years. He's not getting a season-long suspension - he may miss the rest of this season, but he's not missing any time in the next one, IMO.

Again, I put the O/U at 12 since the RSL knows Hollweg was unhurt.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 PM

wtf I've been watching sportscentre on tsn, the score, and sportscentral on sportsnet on and off for the last day - and the first I see of this happens to be on headline news?!?

I guess when some maple leaf gets something done to them it's top story on all the networks, but when it's another team all we hear about is e-mail accounts and bob goodenow and ted saskin and cabbie on the street
Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 PM

I'm tempted to take the under on 12, but since there are like 14 games left in the season it's probably over
Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For me, that has to be a season long suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen you comment in a hockey thread.

It's amazing how these incidents bring people out who've no idea what the sport is about to comment on how long a suspension should be.

also, lol at Orr 'destroying' Simon. Simon can handle himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

i played hockey from when i was 9 until when i was 22. im 24 now. Sorry, ill post in more hockey threads so that i wont be flamed for responding to them once in awhile. with 14 games left how on earth would he not be done for the season?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf I've been watching sportscentre on tsn, the score, and sportscentral on sportsnet on and off for the last day - and the first I see of this happens to be on headline news?!?

I guess when some maple leaf gets something done to them it's top story on all the networks, but when it's another team all we hear about is e-mail accounts and bob goodenow and ted saskin and cabbie on the street

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously, the Toronto Raptors are having a season 10x better relatively compared to the Laffs, yet they're buried until the second half of the show on most nights. You know, not every damn Canadian has to know that Phoenix beat the Kings 1-0 last night. That's what the NHL Network and Leafs TV are for.

Also, there is absolutely NO PLACE in the game for barbaric acts such as the one Simon committed. And even if Simon wasn't intending to hit him across the head, then would the neck of made any difference? However, I'll say he gets 7 games.

I'm interested in hearing opinions on whether justice off the ice (the courts) should be pursued on incidents such as these.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way. This was not as bad was what Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore. Bertuzzi grabbed Moore from behind and jammed him head first into the ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go by results, obviously the Bertuzzi incident was worse. But if you go by intent, I think it is the reverse.

Bertuzzi grabbed him from behind and punched him. The whole jamming him head first in the ice part looked like an accident.

Here, Simon swung his stick at someone's face.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:35 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No way. This was not as bad was what Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore. Bertuzzi grabbed Moore from behind and jammed him head first into the ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go by results, obviously the Bertuzzi incident was worse. But if you go by intent, I think it is the reverse.

Bertuzzi grabbed him from behind and punched him. The whole jamming him head first in the ice part looked like an accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree completely. i always thought the bertuzzi hit was ridiculously overrated. he was just trying to punch him and almost seemed to stumble to the ice. he didnt look like he tried to slam the guy headfirst or whatever we;re accusing him of.

here, simon looked at the player and then swung his stick like a baseball bat into the guys face. thinking this hit is less vicious is just results oriented imo.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously, the Toronto Raptors are having a season 10x better relatively compared to the Laffs, yet they're buried until the second half of the show on most nights. You know, not every damn Canadian has to know that Phoenix beat the Kings 1-0 last night. That's what the NHL Network and Leafs TV are for.

Also, there is absolutely NO PLACE in the game for barbaric acts such as the one Simon committed. And even if Simon wasn't intending to hit him across the head, then would the neck of made any difference? However, I'll say he gets 7 games.

I'm interested in hearing opinions on whether justice off the ice (the courts) should be pursued on incidents such as these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. At least the score is starting to show raptors first usually. Unless its leafs/sens or somethin
Old 03-09-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree completely. i always thought the bertuzzi hit was ridiculously overrated. he was just trying to punch him and almost seemed to stumble to the ice. he didnt look like he tried to slam the guy headfirst or whatever we;re accusing him of.

here, simon looked at the player and then swung his stick like a baseball bat into the guys face. thinking this hit is less vicious is just results oriented imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely. Simon had to know that the likely consequences of his action included ultra-severe injury to Hollweg. That Moore wound up as injured as he was as a result of the Bertuzzi incident seemed to be more the result of an unfortunate set of circumstances.

In addition, Simon is a known goon (although supposedly he is a good guy/teammate). Bertuzzi had no such reputation.

My guess is something like Simon gets banned for the rest of the season, including playoffs, and needs to "reapply" for reinstatement before next season, at which time the league can decide whether to increase the penalty. I can't see him playing again this year, while at the same time I can't see them barring him from any part of next year at this time, but I can't seem them wanting to rule that out either. They might want to see how many playoff games he winds up missing before making that decision.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Two things that I thought were interesting about this:

1) The announcers discussing whether this would be a major or minor penalty

2) The fact that as the player laid motionless on the ice, not a single player went over to check on him. They were all looking to fight.