Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Live hand with table talk (6-12)

lol@speech, i call down at this point unless we river quads. unless guy is a total fruitcake i don't usually see people go 6 bets on the turn(!) without the immortal nuts.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaron I'm dying to know the conclusion of this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that prompt, I just can't help myself from going into story-telling mode, which means that some of the what you see below is an embellishment of the truth... The outcome, however, is unchanged.

6-12 Mirage

The table is full of pretty bad players. Some are just bad and some are playing poorly while we're waiting for a 10-20 table to start up.

I overlimp in MP with 66 and there's another limper or two behind me. Both blinds come along and it's 5-6 to the flop. The flop is 865. It's checked to me and I bet, getting called in 3 spots. The turn is a 5 and it's checked to me again. I bet, it's folded to SB who check-raises. We're now heads up and I 3-bet it. SB 4-bets, and I make it 5. I don't know whether this is playing past the cap since we started the street multiway, but I didn't say anything and neither did anyone else.

SB looks at his hand, looks at me for a while and playing with the chips in his hand. Then he says, <font color="green">"97s? Yeah... you look like the kind of guy who plays 97s in early position"</font> and raises again.

I was stunned for a moment after his raise. His little chatter was effective in making me think very hard about what was about to happen.

My thoughts: I have 66. The board is 8655. He's trying to tell me he can beat a straight. 6 combos of 85, 1 combo of 55, 2 combos of 65, 3 combos of 88. I beat 8 and lose to 4. Could he have a made hand plus a flush redraw? I should double check the suits and have a quick recount. It's 4:28 in the afternoon, the moon is waxing, the dealer's name is John... <font color="white"> Just kidding...

My real thoughts: Crap. He has quads. This would make an awesome laydown. </font>

I said, <font color="blue">"I call,"</font> and measured out another 12 white chips and pushed them towards the dealer. The river came down with another 8. In a very resigned voice he said, <font color="green">"I guess I have to bet."</font>

<font color="white">Crap! If he didn't have quads yet, he has to have them now! And even if he overplayed some crappy 87 junky crap then I just got crapped on. Calling this bet is like burning money. I should fold and just save myself $12.</font>

I shrugged and responded, <font color="blue">"I guess I have to call." </font>

<font color="green">"Boat."</font>

<font color="white">Boat? That doesn't make sense...</font>

<font color="blue">"Me, too."</font>

<font color="green">"8s and 5s."</font>

<font color="white">Huh? Did he really just go with 6 bets an 8? That lucky...</font>

He turned over A5 [props to mewalrus, though I can't remember if it was suited...]

I think I physically froze for a moment. <font color="white">Wait... I win? He has 55588 and I have 66688... I win!</font>

Probably with a slightly smug look on my face, I said <font color="blue">"Not good enough"</font> as I tabled my pocket 6s. The table groaned, the dealer shook his head and started to push a massive wave of chips in my direction. The other guy quietly stood up and walked away. Before he came back to the table, the 10-20 game started and I never saw him again... <font color="white">Fur coat, baby!</font>
Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 AM

I love a happy ending! NH
Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 AM

VNH and excellent story. Da capo!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Say "85? Yeah, you like like the kind of d-bag who will make me rich with 85" and 7-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
ROFL, Practically had to pick myself up off the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol gg Cash [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The other guy quietly stood up and walked away.

[/ QUOTE ]

"As God is my witness, I thought trip 5s were the nuts."

OTOH, maybe he was so deviously clever that he thought he could make you fold by giving you a speech.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol@speech, i call down at this point unless we river quads. unless guy is a total fruitcake i don't usually see people go 6 bets on the turn(!) without the immortal nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is probably somewhat standard for low limit live play, but I was playing 2/4 before and had a a maniac and an agro guy both on my right. They go 3 bets preflop and see the flop heads up. Flop is QQJ and after calling the floor over to make sure they can't go all in, they got it all in on I think the 23rd bet (SB though). Both players announce that they have the nuts. The maniac tables AQ while the agro guy tables QJ.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:04 AM

Aaron, I love happy endings. FWIW I'd be in the britney 'bet/shave that baby one more time' then get to SD camp.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
aaron how many bets left?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're both deep enough that I didn't think about it. I'm pretty sure I had at least another 10 BB in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

10BB sounds like the perfect amount id be willing to put in, opponent willing.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
aaron how many bets left?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're both deep enough that I didn't think about it. I'm pretty sure I had at least another 10 BB in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

10BB sounds like the perfect amount id be willing to put in, opponent willing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never know how to deal with uncapped betting in limit poker. It always feels like I'm making a bet of "how stupid is this guy?" and I give him credit for being smart enough not to go nuts without the nuts -- especially in the usual bad-passive live games that I've played in. I'm already getting nervous with a lot of hands when it goes for three bets...