Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Need Advice on Misdemeanor Charges

I am not a lawyer, and you definitely need to get with a competent attorney from the jurisdiction where you are being charged. Any advice you received in this thread is suspect. Further, everything I am going to offer you now is anecdotal at best.

Here's a couple problems that I believe you will have to face if you don't deal with this issue:

1. Warrants often have limitations based on expense to extradite relative to crime committed. For example, driving to endanger in California, would be unlikely to get you extradited from MA. But, felony murder would.

In your case, the quantity of counts and the dollar value of all the potential fines could end up producing a warrant that could reach your present location.

Additionally, if you are fined, then your account could be turned over for collection.

Bottom line, you really need to get qualified legal advice from an attorney you hire. No attorney will advise you to break the law and/or not answer the charges. But, you should be able to get a solid idea of what you are facing and the associated consequences.

FWIW, most of the time in these kind of cases, you will settle on a fine that is a fraction of the potential 45K and no jail time.