Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Coaching Warning Discussion Thread

[ QUOTE ]
As far as future policy, that's up for debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi again everyone, this is kind of wierd. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

After Mat (I presume) locked the SSNL thread I PMed him to initiate a dialogue with respect to future policy regarding coaching related threads in the strat forums. He responded by granting me access to the mod forum so that I could participate in the discussion here. I'll try and briefly outline my thoughts. I know that not everyone shares my view, and that's fine. That's what debate is for.

When Mat locked the SSNL thread he also posted that coaching threads were officially nixed. I guessed that he did this for two reasons: 1) they circumvent a source of 2p2 revenue (classifieds) and 2) they tend to flare up in to out of control wildfires, like the SSNL thread did.

Briefly regarding 2p2 revenue: coaches simply don't buy classifieds. At the time I write this there are no coaches advertising in the classifieds and in times past when I've looked I have found at most one. IMO allowing coaching threads doesn't impede 2p2's ability to generate revenue.

From my point of view the whole point of 2p2 is to provide a place where people can develop their poker skills. Providing an outlet for coaching services seems like low hanging fruit in this regard. Giving coaches a channel to publicize their services isn't like giving people a place to put personal ads or sell dining room sets or boxes of poker chips. It would be closer to allowing tutors to post ads in a college library bulletin board. Coaching services directly address the function of the strat forums. It's a natural fit.

One of the problems with coaching threads in general now, and I believe one of the reasons the SSNL thread spun out of control, is the fact that they are unevenly regulated and the policies concerning them are unclear. For example, even in the past when the official stance was that coaching threads were not allowed, there was still a sticky in MSNL listing known coaches. I'd recommend clarifying these policies so that that thread is still allowed while reducing the ability for posters to simply vent or derail the thread. I have a suggestion.

Allow some coaching threads in the strat forums, but be very restrictive in what's allowed. The goal should be to provide the means for coaches and students to find each other. Anything that doesn't serve that purpose should be prohibited. Anything that restricts 2p2’s capacity to generate revenue should also be prohibitted. The sticky in MSNL for example should be allowed. Replying to that thread should not. The 'Coaching WARNING' thread should be not be allowed, since itcould be seen as little more than an attempt to extort Snowbank and get a refund. It would be nice if objective and dispassionate reviews of a coach by a student were allowed so that potential future students can make informed decisions, but the forum mods should be heavy-handed in moderating those kinds of threads. If this increased requirement on the mods turns out to be too much, perhaps it would be best to prohibit these editorial posts.

Thanks, Mat, for letting me post this here. I see I failed in being brief, but hopefully I was at least clear.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:04 PM

grunch,

coaches don't buy ads because they don't have to. some still do i believe, like i think tommy angelo buys a classified.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:09 PM

Sticky in the strat forums. Paid entry into the sticky. And they can't mention their coaching (outside of their profiles) unless they buy in to the sticky.

???

(just thinking out loud about cit's post)
Old 03-09-2007, 03:22 PM

What if we create a separate page for coaching classifieds and put links to this page in the appropriate forum faqs?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if we create a separate page for coaching classifieds and put links to this page in the appropriate forum faqs?

[/ QUOTE ]

good idea
Old 03-09-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

--keep the cost to the coach low, so it's attractive to them. Some of the off and on coaches just make a couple hundred bucks here and there.
--mods drop the delete hammer on references by coaches to coaching who haven't bought into the classified.
--coaches who have bought into the classified can talk about coaching in forum threads, within reason, similar to the restrictions that we have now.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

--keep the cost to the coach low, so it's attractive to them. Some of the off and on coaches just make a couple hundred bucks here and there.
--mods drop the delete hammer on references by coaches to coaching who haven't bought into the classified.
--coaches who have bought into the classified can talk about coaching in forum threads, within reason, similar to the restrictions that we have now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great idea.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 03-09-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This seems workable and not too difficult for mods to enforce.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:38 PM

define low.

also, should there be a sliding scale for placement like we have now?