Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: some older bands/albums everyone should own

KB4Z,

Don't really agree with a few of those. Allman Brothers Band and Grateful Dead the notable cases. Not that I dislike either, but I'll never own their albums. I've got similar feelings about Led Zeppelin, too, but I understand I'm in the minority there.

This has already turned into a "bands I really really like" thread. I take it OPs intentions were more along the lines of older, more transcendent stuff. Talking Heads (best in the thread, IMO) and the Pink Floyd stuff seem to fit that bill. And London Calling, but I'd guess most everyone owns that.

Oh the Who was a good one too.

I'd add Elvis Costello. Really diverse library.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 AM

Love - Forever Changes
Old 03-07-2007, 02:46 AM

Think Dark Side of the Moon by Floyd is more in the must-have collection than Animals.
Also The Wall probably although I've always been a Wish You Were Here kind of guy.

Liking a lot of the pics here including:
Who's Next
Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
Blind Faith
Velvet Underground (DEFINITELY!!)
Clash - London Calling
Cure - Boys Don't Cry
Led Zep
Replacements
Minutemen
Miles Davis
Coltrane

some additions:

The Doors - LA Woman (many would argue for Morrison Hotel though)
The Police - Outlandis D'Amour.
Probably Synchronicity too.

U2 - Joshua Tree
REM - Document (although I prefer Murmur)
The Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
(this is just a great great album)

A couple that I'm not sure qualify as 'must haves':

Carole King - Tapestry
Patti Smyth - Horses

Now some really off-beat nominations that maybe don't qualify as old or must-owns and I'm stretching a bit here but I'm going to toss them out anyway:

The Cure - Disintegration
Stone Roses - self-titled album
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Verve - Storm in Heaven
Old 03-07-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This has already turned into a "bands I really really like" thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm not so sure it has although my post may have been pushing it.

Bands like Minutemen, Replacements, Television, Ramones, Iggy Pop and even the Velvet Underground might not be as well known to the masses as the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.
But many would argue that these are in the 'must-own' category (or close to it) just the same.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:02 AM

the smiths - louder than bombs.

everything but the girl - walking wounded.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:06 AM

smiths is a good choice.

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking was a pretty big deal back in the day (1988-ish) too.

I feel awkward mentioning some of these because I know the original intent of the thread might have been 60s and 70s albums.
But I think some of the 80s and early 90s albums can also be viewed as 'old enough' and also be close to 'must have' status for many.

Not with you at all on Everything but the girl though. Sorry.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:33 AM

Just thought of another one -- Joni Mitchell's Blue is a huge classic that everyone should definitely own.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 AM

the most underrated band of all time......Cream!!!!!!!! they were only together a short time but every album they made is amazing and their reunion a few years ago was just as good, Clapton is god!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 AM

AC/DC - Back in Black
Allman Bros. - Eat a Peach
Clash - London Calling? (Don't feel like getting up to check)
Stones - Some Girls
Sprinsteen - Pick one
Rod Stewart - Tonight's the Night

AC/DC never gets the respect it deserves for rockin it.

Melissa is timeless and Jessica is the best song without words.

Clash weren't in the same class as the big bands but were in a class by themselves.

Some Girls, what can you say? "French girls they want Cartier. Italian girls want cars. American girls want everything in the world you can possibly imagine........Black girls just wanna get f&*$*&$ all night. I just don't have that much jam.......Take me back to Zooma Beach. I'll give you half----of everything I own."

Springsteen, whether it's the opening harmonica of Thunder Road, "Crazy Janie and her Mission man" from Spirits or, getting old school on 57 St., Spanish Johhny driving in from the underworld last night, the Boss was The Boss.

Stewart because I'd have a girl in the basement and put on the album. Listening to Brit Ekland cooing while The Rooster told her to "Spread your wings and let me come inside" always got it going. Those were the days. Getting it for both sides of an album. It was good to be young.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bands like Minutemen, Replacements, Television, Ramones, Iggy Pop and even the Velvet Underground might not be as well known to the masses as the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.
But many would argue that these are in the 'must-own' category (or close to it) just the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh.. of that list, and I like a lot of those bands (don't really listen to the Velvet Underground.. terribly overrated IMO. I like some of the Nico stuff though), but the Ramones are probably the only must own. Contrary to my opinion, Velvet Underground is probably in that list too, just because of all the stories and press behind them.

I guess my point is, KB4Z mentioned it's probable that "people around here are focused on hipster rock". Well, a good portion of the records/bands mentioned thus far are staples of any indie dork's collection. I guess I just thought this thread would focus on really transcendent records/bands with some reasoning as to why, given how KB4Z started it. Instead it's just listing albums that have been listed a gazillion times in OOT (for the most part). I mean, Television's Marquee Moon.. I like it a lot. A real lot. But it has its flaws and I can name 20 albums that blow it out of the water. Then stuff like Double Nickels on the Dime or I Against I, while I doubt everyone listens to these, they're pretty unique and were groundbreaking at the time, so it'd be cool to hear some insight about them.

eh.. I'm being nitty/bitchy/whiny. I like a lot of the albums mentioned so far. Except for Rod Stewart. I mean c'mon. Crap's terrible.