Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: new PPA Ad

It has been removed. Odd. Although they did put up this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7TF0r1K7jM

The only comment I have for it (at the moment) is "Hungry Hungry Hippos? WTF?!"

I haven't watched the other new ones that they have on there, but if they're anything like this one, I'm rather concerned.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 AM

Here's the one that had the broken link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1aYU9PFuGQ
Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 AM

if the PPA is representing US poker sharks who want fish to keep depositing short-term, this is a bad ad. if the PPA is, otoh, trying to push for overt legalization of online poker in the US it's not too bad. not great, but not too bad.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:31 AM

Thanks. Just watched both and was not impressed. All spin and bad editing, few facts.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 AM

The Hungry Hippos was pretty gay. The second one was good. How many facts can you cram into a 30second ad? It's just fine I think. In fact, the second one seems very well done.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:31 AM

I like the ad, well done. The negatives are, imo, way overstated, and considerably outweighed by the positives. The Party Poker ads were pretty damn stupid and yet motivated many of the same people that will likely see this ad.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 AM

I wonder if stars and/or FTP had something to do with it being pulled. If I were representing either of those 2 sites I'm not thrilled with these ads for the 2 reasons already stated: depicts US freindly sites as shady and untrustworthy, and represents that Internet poker is illegal thereby inhibiting new growth.

Both sites are pushing PPA membership now, so they both would have a voice in the type of ads PPA produced.

Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:38 AM

First they came for our hippos?! This is just ridiculous.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if the PPA is representing US poker sharks who want fish to keep depositing short-term, this is a bad ad. if the PPA is, otoh, trying to push for overt legalization of online poker in the US it's not too bad. not great, but not too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point. It's not just sharks that are hurt by the false perception projected by this ad, it's also the PPA's own cause.

The PPA is shooting it's own agenda in the foot with this ad.

It is very unlikely that people will rise up after seeing this ad and effect a purely political remolding of the UIGEA. There also needs to be an economic motive as well. Money leaving the US and going to foreign poker sites provides that motive. The more money that leaves, the stronger the motive to change UIGEA. In fact, this likely was a big reason Congress passed the thing in the first place. Now, paradoxically, the PPA could turn that on its head.

Indeed the PPA should consider using this issue as a guise to advertise that the online poker is just as legal as it has always been.

The DOJ may be able to stop a FTP ad from broadcasting on TV, but the first ammendment allows issue-oriented ads. And of course it would be important to explain the issue truthfully.

And truthfully, people can play poker just like before - (example:"Even though the UIGEA does not change the legality of poker for the player, and even though there still are plenty of reputable, private sites still open to the US, UIGEA does try to prohibit online poker by telling you what you can and can not do with your hard-earned, after-tax dollars in the privacy of your own home. This is wrong...").

Congress might feel it has to change the UIGEA if it wants US $ to stay here.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:42 PM

It is still there just down two. I liked the other new one - one down "bad beat"- the hungry hippos is suitably youtube surreal.