Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: is the ps3 the cheapest way to get a blu-ray DVD player?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get a 50" LCD unless you really like the look of pixels. I even have issues with my friends Samsung 40" 1080p LCD...not a big fan of this technology on larger screen sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Large LCDs have great pictures, the Sony 1080p is pretty much the best TV there is right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you own one?

I'm simply relating my experience having viewed one for about 30 hours, and stuff like being able to see pixels is a huge factor for me because it's all I will notice. I've watched plenty of HD and regular TV on a 1080p LCD and while the HD is good and not great (still can see a few pixels), non-HD channels are absolutely horrid.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sick joke PS3's arent even available in Australia, i know the plane flight is like 23hrs+ but does everything have to come out months later...ugh

[/ QUOTE ]

What's sick is that I couldn't even get rid of one on craigslist for less then cost.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

B/c they don't have an inventory of PS3s to sell. I'm sure BB would love to have more PS3s

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. You can walk in almost any store and find a PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe in Maryland, but I have yet to see a PS3 in any store in Southern California. Granted I have not been looking super hard, but I'm pretty sure they are not that readily available in store as of yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been looking, but I hear that they are easily available. Reason being is that there are really no good games available right now. I've heard that some local EB Games in my area(Raleigh/Durham) always have multiple units in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I figured PS3's were easy to get by now everywhere. I returned one a month ago and they were 3 0r 4 in the store then.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm simply relating my experience having viewed one for about 30 hours, and stuff like being able to see pixels is a huge factor for me because it's all I will notice. I've watched plenty of HD and regular TV on a 1080p LCD and while the HD is good and not great (still can see a few pixels), non-HD channels are absolutely horrid.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct sir. Giant TV's are generally over-rated and foolish unless you're sitting a mile away from your screen. Blowing up a pixel to a one inch square is retarded.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 PM

HD-DVD is the way to go. Cheaper players, cheaper discs, more movies.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM

OK, so HD-DVD is cheaper in every aspect, but I thought there were more blu-ray movies available and that the quality was better. Can anyone weigh in on this?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PS3s are running $600, and your standard Sony Blu-Ray player from Best Buy or wherever starts @ $900.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why the [censored] are they even selling them? They could just sell the PS3's giving people the chance to buy more products.

[/ QUOTE ]

B/c they don't have an inventory of PS3s to sell. I'm sure BB would love to have more PS3s

[/ QUOTE ]I work at a bestbuy. We got 32 PS3s in on 12-30-06 and still have 5-6 of them, not including the 10+ we have had returned because people cannot sell them for much of a profit anymore.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LCD is only option for that size and resolution within a reasonable cost... ~5k?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance. It's hard to make large LCD screens and they are significantly more expensive than same size plasma or DLP.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so HD-DVD is cheaper in every aspect, but I thought there were more blu-ray movies available and that the quality was better. Can anyone weigh in on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) HD-DVD isn't cheaper in EVERY aspect. Some Blu-Ray discs are cheaper than the same HD-DVD because the HD-DVD version is only available as a combo disc (see The Departed and Happy Feet). But the hardware is cheaper for HD-DVD.

2) There are more Blu-Ray movies than HD-DVD movies now. See http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

3) Which has more is actually irrelevant. Both have movies that are exclusive to their format.

4) Early Blu-Ray movies had a reputation as not looking as good as HD-DVD. (Though Blu-Ray has higher capacity, the compression they used wasn't as good.) It seems that the tide has turned and most now can't see a difference between the two formats.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:08 PM

thanks for the info. I think I'll pick up a PS3 just because. I wish I could find a hot deal on them online, anyone know of any? (60gb)