Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Great bands or performers you saw by accident

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some new band was opening for them called Chicago Transit Authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am really jealous of this one! I got to see Chicago but not until way later in their career, post Terry Kath. It was good but nowhere near what they were in their heyday!

[/ QUOTE ]

Terry Kath is the answer to who is the most underrated talent in the history of rock and roll. An amazing guitar player (when Hendrix says you're great, well then I guess you're pretty damn great) and the most soulful voice of any white man ever.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:53 PM

Went to see Ministry on their "The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste" tour in '89.

None of us had ever heard of the opening act, a band from Germany called KMFDM....
Old 03-02-2007, 11:55 PM

My mom and dad accidentally went to see Chuck Berry while we were on family vacation in Miami. They thought they were going to see Chuck Barris (of The Gong Show) and were terribly disappointed.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:31 AM

YES! Can't wait to tell this story...

So it's 2004 and I'm studying abroad in France. My GF of the time flies in to see me, and she leaves out of Munich. So I have to ditch my friends who are going to Rome that weekend to go to Munich and see her off as she flies back to America.

She flies out Friday and I have the whole weekend in Munich to burn. I get a private tour of the BMW factory, see the new 3 series (July 04!!) and when I leave, I head to Olympic park, which is right by BMW. There is some festival going on, so I walk in. I have a couple beers, and pick up a festival brochure, which is all in german. They had bands playing each night, and it turns out taht in about an hour,

JAMES BROWN WAS PERFORMING LIVE!!

So I ask around, and it turns out they've been sold out since day one. I grab my train itinerary, scrawl out "I NEED 1 TICKET" in english of course, grab a beer and sit by the entrance with my sign. Finally one dude comes up, his buddy can't make it, and wants to sell. I pull out my wallet, which contains 20 euros. He refuses such a low sum, but eventually comes back around and I get a 40 euro ticket to a sold out concert for 20 euros.

James Brown was f-ing awesome, and germans LOVE them some James Brown. There was one very memorable part too. It was the same weekend that Ray Charles died, so in the middle of his set, James asks for a moment of silence for Ray Charles, closes his eyes, bows his head, and says nothing. Well, the crowd, who doesn't understand a lick of english goes crazy!! The start chanting "Jmes Brn! Jmes Brn! Jmes Brn!" with passionate enthusiasm. Just to be clear, there was zero silence. Well, 15 seconds later, James Brown lifts his head up, thanks the audience, and then shrieks "SEX MACHINE!" to which the crowd goes absolutely nuts for.

I take videos and pictures of my experience, and while I was sleeping on the train back to France, the memory card falls out of my pocket and I lose them all.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:03 AM

I've got a second-hand story told to me several years ago by a good friend from Boston. He went to a bar to see John Rafferty and The Beaver Brown Band, which apparently was a big deal back in the day in Boston. Just before the band is supposed to come on, the bar manager gets on stage and says, "sorry, John Rafferty can't play tonight, but we've got another group lined up," or something like that. The lights go down and boos rain down on the stage. Then a new British voice on the mike says, "we hope you won't be disappointed." The lights come up and it's the Rolling Stones. My friend said they were preparing for an upcoming tour in the States. I forget the timeframe. Maybe the Steel Wheels tour in '89?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:27 AM

sportfreunde stiller
Old 03-03-2007, 02:14 AM

The Spinanes opening for Buffalo Tom. Madison 1993.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Terry Kath is the answer to who is the most underrated talent in the history of rock and roll. An amazing guitar player (when Hendrix says you're great, well then I guess you're pretty damn great) and the most soulful voice of any white man ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope:

Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 AM

ooh, I've got one more good one from two years ago. I'm seeing this bluegrass band Uncle Earl in a small non profit music venue that seated about 50 people or so. They play there set and for their encore they say, "we'd like to introduce our friend Bela Fleck to the stage." Bela casually gets up from the crowd, plays about 4 awesome songs with them then goes back to finishing his pizza and talking with fans.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:01 AM

Several years ago I went to a Blindside concert by accident, I think they were opening for Mudvayne and Linkin Park or something.. not that sure. They were very good live, better than either of the other bands by far. I'm really not a fan of much of their music still, but they did get the crowd of unknowns into the show.