Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: **OFFICIAL 2007 Cleveland Indians Thread**

I think the Indians scored the second most runs in the majors last year. I agree that Wedge will be gone if the Indians under achieve this year.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:02 PM

I haven't lived in Cleveland since the Municipal Stadium era, but I'll be working there this summer. Looking forward to watching some games at the Jake.

Go Tribe!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't lived in Cleveland since the Municipal Stadium era

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh...takes me back...freezing winds coming off the lake, 1,000's of seagulls just waiting to swoop and poop...good times..i remember the last opening day there, 94 maybe? anyway, they were handing out replica newspapers from the first opening day...

by the 3rd inning, there were by my count, 856 newspaper airplanes on the outfield grass. my dad got one to go from our seats in the upper deck down the 3rd base line to the warning track in right field...

anyway, i'm taking a wait and see attitude with this year's tribe...i'll make my customary 8-10 home games, and see 95% of the games on tv, but i'm still not going to get overly excited like i have been the past few years...

to hell with all these veteran relievers, we need to get fausto's head on right, that kid has all the talent in the world, but like any indians fan who watched his infamous 2 week stretch last summer of blowing 6 saves, i won't be terribly upset if he starts down in buffalo..

defense should be *much* better this year. yes, peralta still can't move more than 2 feet in any direction, but the corner outfield spots, 1st, 2nd and 3rd look to make less errors..

the key, like you all have said, is keeping the pitchers healthy. this is probably the last year we'll have westbrook, so we need his 220+ innings. cc needs to avoid his yearly back and side troubles...

eh...like i said, i have no idea where this team will end up in september. we could have a 4 game lead in the division, or be 10 games out..and the drama of the last 2 series in september of '05 don't exactly make me confident we could even hold a lead late in the year...

the great thing about baseball is that it's on every night. i watch the tribe as much when they are in 4th place in the division as i did in the mid-to-late 90's...easily my favorite sports team, but again, ask me to predict where they'll end up, and i have no clue.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh...takes me back...freezing winds coming off the lake, 1,000's of seagulls just waiting to swoop and poop

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to games at the mistake on the lake where there have been less than 1,000 people in attendance.

I'm not kidding.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 AM

Back during the Municipal era they'd let you in for free after the 7th inning sometimes. I remember my family decided to do that and it ended up being like a 15 inning game on a school night. That's 9 innings for free, take that Jacobs. I think we ended up losing to the Brewers.

People who are freaking out about the bullpen need to remember that we had the best bullpen in baseball in 2005 with almost the same people.

Things I'm worried about:

1. Back of the starting rotation
Sowers was superawesome at AA, but he forgot how to strike people out after being promoted to AAA for some reason and Byrd is old. Low K rookie+fineese old guy= variance city. And while Miller or Carmona or somebody could explode, right now we don't have a decent 6th guy.

2. The infield
Peralta went from a borderline MVP candiate to mediocre pretty quickly. More worrisome his defense seemed to slip. No idea what was going on there, hopefully it can be corrected because Marte looked pretty lost offensively and wasn't playing well at AAA before his promotion. Trading Kouzmanoff means that if Marte can't get it done we are looking at Joe Inglett or somebody getting way, way too much playing time. These guys need to come through because we don't have [censored] for infielders in the system. Garko is a decent hitter for a catcher, but has limited experience fielding 1B and his minor league track record doesn't really scream "starting 1b for a contender!". If Garko doesn't work out, it's either Blake or Martinez, neither of whom provides an ideal solution. Note to Shapiro: Please acquire an actual first baseman at some point in the near future. Speaking of Martinez, he's got to get that CS% back towards 25%. Throwing out runners is an overrated skill, but Jesus, he gave up 100 stolen bases last year.

3. Wedge. He's terrible at almost everything. He decides that random utility infielders can be used as starting first baseman, he has a vicious doghouse, and he struggles to handle platoons. This team has no established closer and like 6 equalish talented guys for the corner outfield spots, the manager is going to make a real difference this year.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh...takes me back...freezing winds coming off the lake, 1,000's of seagulls just waiting to swoop and poop

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to games at the mistake on the lake where there have been less than 1,000 people in attendance.

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can believe it. I worked there as an usher during high school (85-88) and my job would often be to stand in a section of general admission yellow seats and tell people they could not sit there. It was mostly guys trying to grab a toke. But I got to see 81 games per year and some of the other teams were good.

Also saw Len Barker's perfect game at Municipal. I think there was like 6,000 there for that. They gave away a Cadillac.

KJS
Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh...takes me back...freezing winds coming off the lake, 1,000's of seagulls just waiting to swoop and poop...good times..i remember the last opening day there, 94 maybe? anyway, they were handing out replica newspapers from the first opening day...

by the 3rd inning, there were by my count, 856 newspaper airplanes on the outfield grass. my dad got one to go from our seats in the upper deck down the 3rd base line to the warning track in right field...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I was at this game:

Ten Cent Beer Night

It was obviously in my younger days. I was sitting with some friends in the bleachers. Of course the bleachers were unbelievably far from the action but you could get in for $.50. It was a truly unbelievable scene. We sat in the bleachers for the entire time including watching the riot police take care of business drinking $0.10 beers.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can believe it. I worked there as an usher during high school (85-88) and my job would often be to stand in a section of general admission yellow seats and tell people they could not sit there. It was mostly guys trying to grab a toke. But I got to see 81 games per year and some of the other teams were good.

Also saw Len Barker's perfect game at Municipal. I think there was like 6,000 there for that. They gave away a Cadillac.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unusual at all to see so few people in that place when the Tribe played. The funny thing about that place was that it was a horrible place to watch football and baseball. The last time I was there was in 1984 and I couldn't believe what a dump it was. BTW wasn't too hard to sneak into the box seats either.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 PM

PD says Luis Rivas is leading the race for the utility spot, as of today. 4 hits in the last 2 games. This is the same guy who his below the Mendoza line in 59 games at AAA last year though. Question is can he play SS and 3rd?

Inglett strained some leg muscles (has had problems with tears in the past) so he is not helping his case. And Luna has 4 errors already this spring.

Hoynes says the dark horse is Mike Rouse who we got from Oakland via waivers. He's a natural SS.

KJS
Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Lee will start the season on the DL. Carmona will probably get his rotation spot. This is less than ideal, of course.

From the PD:

"Lee, 14-11 last year, strained the abdominal muscle the second time he threw batting practice to hitters. He was scratched from his first spring-training start on March 2 and hasn't thrown off the mound since.

He was scheduled to try and throw a bullpen session Sunday, but never got started. He is not expected to rejoin the rotation until late April or early May.

Lonnie Soloff, head athletic trainer, said Lee will rest seven to 10 days before beginning a four- to six-week rehab program."

KJS