Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: The Seven Stud Forum & Freedom Of Speech

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose that it is possible for a winning player to have a 300 BB downswing. Hasn't happened to me, but I mostly play live and rarely play more than two tables online. Anyway, while it's possible, it is likely that a person experiencing such a downswing isn't playing very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

great post.

i find it extremely hard to beleive a good player can experience a 300 big bet downswing at 1-2 and 2-4 games.

i think that's one of those online myths designed to keep the bad players playing. (just like, "no, you can be a loser after 40,000 hands, that's NOTHING! if you're good, stick around untill you get to 100,000 - you'll win by then!")
Old 02-25-2007, 02:41 PM

C'mon "ill rich" its "Variance". Its the only thing they can hang their hats on.

Good players know EXACTLY why they lose, especially if they have PT. Its no secret to good solid stud players. The battle cry of the bad players is "Variance". Just because you think you know how to play 3rd street, doesn't mean you are solid stud player.

A while back I took heat for telling Jordiepop to give up stud. He used to play FTP stud and was just horrible. He played with all his cards face up. He has since given up stud, not because he's a bad player, but because of the "Brutal variance swings". Variance is total BS. You either know WHY or your a bad player.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Maybe the stud forum needs a cheese/LC thread like all the NLH strategy forums have.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the stud forum needs a cheese/LC thread like all the NLH strategy forums have.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-25-2007, 06:38 PM

These type of threads should be locked. They're content-less and can go in BBV. Sure I've made a couple in the past, and if I could go back in time I'd backhand that idiot.

Anyone who plays a lot will have a 300bb downswing. I was at 2.7bb for over a year, then had a -220bb SESSION in just under 1000 hands. No I didn't tilt, yes you don't believe me, no I don't care that you don't. I even switched tables once I felt my image got destroyed. I got hit in the face. I never tilted short of going to myself...is this for real? I WAS playing 3-5 handed, which definitely contributed, but people need to look at the math to see how possible stuff like this is. I don't know why people keep throwing out 300bb figures or 3bb winrates etc, the games are not as good as you used to be whether you want to believe it or not.

Either you're honest with yourself, or you're not. If you're not, you're losing. If you are, then you know whether you're winning or not, and if you don't know that you're losing too unless your some new player in the micros.

These posts are so worthless. Even if there is content in them whomever needs it is oblivious. Either they are lying to themselves, incompetent, or they're a good player who knows he's having a bad run. The only exception would be a mediocre player in slightly above avg games, and even he should know to move down.

While game selection is very important, it's not like there is a lot of room for skill here. It's like 3rd or playing before the flop. How much better is world class compared to someone who is very competent? Very little. Either you go through the motions or you want to burn money.

Is someone going to post some info here that makes your downswing end? Of course not. You should be doing what you always do, trying to play well, making sure you're paying attention, and going over your trouble hands after each session. If you've lost confidence move down. There is no new info. Going over ONE more hand in your history will have a bigger effect than all of these threads put together.

The only thing these threads do is inspire people who are not winning to keep trying. In a few cases this might be good, but overall I don't think the pep talks are helpful.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No penalties have been dished out. I don't anticipate that any will, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a shame, I hope you'll reconsider.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon "ill rich" its "Variance". Its the only thing they can hang their hats on.

Good players know EXACTLY why they lose, especially if they have PT. Its no secret to good solid stud players. The battle cry of the bad players is "Variance". Just because you think you know how to play 3rd street, doesn't mean you are solid stud player.

A while back I took heat for telling Jordiepop to give up stud. He used to play FTP stud and was just horrible. He played with all his cards face up. He has since given up stud, not because he's a bad player, but because of the "Brutal variance swings". Variance is total BS. You either know WHY or your a bad player.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Variance is Small potatoes in the big picture. True poker players "know" its variance where the inexperienced are not sure. If people want to learn the game....truly learn the game.....than be humble and learn to correct their holes......yes you too have holes to plug.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Just how much worse are the little stud games?

I'm starting to think that most of the players at low stakes online are now semi-competent. There are a few regular fishes, a few mediocre, a few rock solid. And that's all there are, just a few. So even as low as 2-4, you often have a pretty tough game. Typically you might be playing 6 handed with two very strong players, two mediocre players and one weak player. It's a beatable lineup, but it's not the same as a year or two ago when a typical 2-4 game played about like a .25-.50 plays now.