Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Why are some people not Christian?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since you put so little effort into your argument, I'll just refute your points instead of actively proving you wrong.

1. "Psychological sense?" WTF is that? Is that where the idea that there's a man in the sky that takes care of all your needs and makes you happy for eternity is comfortable? Is that psychological sense? I suppose believing in Santa Claus makes pyschological sense too. Too bad it doesn't make actual sense.

2. Why does there have to be a human-like being to make the earth. Obviously, something somewhere wasn't created by an outside force. You think God wasn't created by an outside force, I think the earth wasn't. What's the difference. Well except that we actually know the earth was created and there's no evidence whatsoever of a god, especially a Christian one.

3. You have nothing to gain by basing your life around a storybook. If it's "the word of God", then why didn't anyone see God speak it? All we can see is a book written by men that wanted to control other people.

Here's a better question. Why are you Christian? I bet I can answer it pretty succinctly.

1. You grew up in a region where most of the people around you were Christian. Since they said Christianity was true, you believed them.

2. It's comfortable. You get to believe that you'll be completely happy in "heaven" after death and even get to feel superior over others about your silly belief.

3. You've never bothered to actually question your faith and see that there was no foundation behind it. There's no evidence that any of this is true other than some stories that parallel stories that are known to be false such as Greek mythology, and stories that you believe to be false such as the Quran.

I could go into more detail to actually explain why I'm convinced there's no personal God, but I think countering your points and pointing out the lack of thought behind your belief is good enough for now.

[/ QUOTE ] You're reasonings are trite, incorrect, and lacking fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this part of some missionary training program? Are you going to get a "Word of Jesus" merit badge because you tossed a couple condescending yet false arguments at people on the internet?

Could you please direct me to your troop leader?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like us all at one point or another, he hasnt learned the proper way to start a discussion to be well receieved.

We all been there, we know how to do it right, from doing it wrong and still learning better ways to discuss things.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:11 AM

Why does it bother you that some others don't believe? Why are you approaching this fundamentally irrational concept (minus the astronomy/astrophysics aspect) rationally?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. It doesn't make psychological sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
This could be an interesting topic for discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
2. So the earth was made by whom then? ;- )

[/ QUOTE ]
Why does something always have to be made by someone?

You'd think [censored] like you would have learnt some humility by now, after having been proven wrong about almost everything. No, schizophrenics aren't possessed by demons, you idiots. Simple, impersonal biology. No, the sun isn't driven by turtles or elephants or chariots or Gods. Simple, impersonal physics. No, there ain't some dude in the sky running a lightning and thunder show, who's responsible for all the rain. Just the impersonal forces of nature. You can slaughter all the animals/people you want to appease the weather God(s), your crops won't get a drop more rain, and you'll still be an idiot.

For everything they can't explain, people with your lack of imagination have always postulated a ghost in the machine. And they have ALWAYS been proven wrong. An observant man would learn to be humble and cautious before invoking an argument that's been proven wrong more times than any other in the history of thought.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Why wouldn't you be? You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not believe in Santa? Apart from the scorn of your peers, you have nothing to gain by denying Santa. Also.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure there are more people who can add to this in detail but this is what I could come up with on a moments notice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should pray for inspiration/extra gray matter?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been something that has pestered me lately and I just don't think it makes sense inuitively to not be. Even more important and what I'm truly getting at is why do people not believe? I know there are satanics and other religions who do not believe in God but there are also people who do not have ANY FAITH whatsoever and my question is why?

3. Why wouldn't you be? You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

I'm sure there are more people who can add to this in detail but this is what I could come up with on a moments notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are rational. Not many, but some.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there are also people who do not have ANY FAITH whatsoever

[/ QUOTE ]
Yo.
[ QUOTE ]
and my question is why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because faith is nothing more than wishful thinking.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it does. How doesn't it ?
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It wasn't 'made' by a being.
[ QUOTE ]
3. Why wouldn't you be?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because there is no good reason to be.
[ QUOTE ]
You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no word of God because there is no God.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

somewhere in the area of 15 billion years ago, a singularity reversed its polarity in relation to time, and went reverse to current time, i.e it exploded, this created a universe filled with energy, of the next few billion years, the energy condensed into matter, starting with hydrogen, helium, and a little bit of lithium, as dark matter and the universes expansion progessed to shape these new formed chemicals, they started cooling and creating heavier elements, these began to swirl based on factors that are a bit lengthy to explain, as the swirled they condensed around a central point, and in the outer rims of this center point, most likely a black hole, stars begain to form, and planets in their wake formed as well, and thus we have our little floating rock in the universe
Old 02-24-2007, 04:22 AM

the way i look at it is if there is a God, and if he wanted to give a message(religion) to the world, then the true message from the true God should reach more people than any other "fals" message/religion.

In other words if there is a correct religion, then God should be powerful enough to make sure it's the most popular by a mile.

if the God's "message" is the judaen Bible, it definately fits the bill.

muslims/islam, jews, messianic jews, christians (catholic, protestant, orthodox, anglicans, mormon, J's witness)

these are all founded on the Old Testament and make up roughly 54% of the world's population (not just people who believe in God)

hindu - 13%
buddhist - 5.8%

if you're looking for a relationship with the true God, there's only one logical choice, a OT based religion/faith.

of the OT based religions, Christianity and muslim are by far the most popular coming in at 33% and 20%....

personally atheism isn't an option for me, for numerous reasons, most notebly the scientific fact that something can't come from nothing, life can't come from non-life, also DNA.... nearly every living thing on this planet is insanely complex. there's no one who will debate that, even really really ignorant people..

i can't see how anyone can be confident in a beliefe such as evolution, not that it doesn't exist, but that most take it as a explanation for all things, trying to give it credit for things i believe are from God.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Believers are generally happier than nonbelievers, and they probably live longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
What evidence do you have for either of these claims?
Old 02-24-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the way i look at it is if there is a God, and if he wanted to give a message(religion) to the world, then the true message from the true God should reach more people than any other "fals" message/religion.

In other words if there is a correct religion, then God should be powerful enough to make sure it's the most popular by a mile.

if the God's "message" is the judaen Bible, it definately fits the bill.

muslims/islam, jews, messianic jews, christians (catholic, protestant, orthodox, anglicans, mormon, J's witness)

these are all founded on the Old Testament and make up roughly 54% of the world's population (not just people who believe in God)

hindu - 13%
buddhist - 5.8%

if you're looking for a relationship with the true God, there's only one logical choice, a OT based religion/faith.

of the OT based religions, Christianity and muslim are by far the most popular coming in at 33% and 20%....

personally atheism isn't an option for me, for numerous reasons, most notebly the scientific fact that something can't come from nothing, life can't come from non-life, also DNA.... nearly every living thing on this planet is insanely complex. there's no one who will debate that, even really really ignorant people..

i can't see how anyone can be confident in a beliefe such as evolution, not that it doesn't exist, but that most take it as a explanation for all things, trying to give it credit for things i believe are from God.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe in God, you believe in Satan most likely right?

Who would have a more earlthy power, Satan or God.

The answer is Satan because his goal is to influence us and put us in volurable positions to do evil things as where God let there be his teachings in writing but cannot influence our decisions unless through faith in him.

He just can't make someone feel his power that doesn't want it, that wouldn't make any sense. He wants you, in a world where there is an evil influence and you have your free agency, to make the decision to have faith in him and explore that possiblity with an open heart and mind, if you do that, you will not be denied.

What you do with this knowledge is up to you but it might be the most important thing you will ever read that you will forget most likely within 15 seconds, hmm I wonder who would want that to happen? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... if the God's "message" is the judaen Bible, it definately fits the bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I suggest all you xtians, Muslims, etc quickly convert to Judaism. At least it is not quite as fragmented as the xtians who thinks catholics are not true xtians, the catholics who think nobody can be saved outside of the church. I am not even talking about Muslim views of those who reject Islam. At least Judaism has no positions, afaik, about salvation, they are quite exemplary in being more interested in how they, themselves, live.