Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: i might be fired?

Why do you think you're going to get fired here.

If a complaint comes to me about one of my employees, I'm obligated to follow up, but in so way does this seem fireable.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:38 AM

+they have previously fired someone for hanging up on customers. I heard it was multiple customers.

+they previously fired someone they day before they were going to another department. I am due to go to another dept. in about a month

+they wouldn't need to talk to HR to give me a warning. they do need to talk to HR to fire me, especially b/c I'm going to another dept.

+the customer is pissed and is making a stink, calling his acct. manager, etc.

+the dept. has a history of not backing up their employees. e.g. someone was sworn at, abused, etc. they wanted her to call the customer to apologize (this was a long time ago). another e.g. they used to want us to not give out a certain type of information but if someone got mad b/c you didn't give it you would get in trouble.

this could be a case of them just trying to scare me b/c they are unable to fire me as they are already having trouble finding someone to take my shift over when I leave and that's all they can do is scare me.

the dept does bite in certain respects. 98% of the customers are fine but it's the 2% that can drive you nuts. but it's a good co. as far as benefits and I'm all set to go to this other dept. which is not customer-facing.

the rest of the time that I'm there, customers can have whatever they want, regardless of dept. policy.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:39 AM

Why didn't OP simply explain that there are many different rulesets regarding citations?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 AM

"the rest of the time that I'm there, customers can have whatever they want, regardless of dept. policy."

This seems like a much better way to get fired.

If one rant from one incorrect customer is going to get you nuked, [censored] getting fired, leave, it's a horrible place to work anyway.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're a good employee, you won't get fired. If the guy lodged a complaint, then HR probably has to follow procedure and document it. Very worst is they put in on record that some guy didn't like you.

If you're a bad employee, then the company will use this against you now or sometime in the future to let you go.

So if you're a good employee, don't worry about it. If you're a bad one, then keep backing up your personal stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't OP simply explain that there are many different rulesets regarding citations?

[/ QUOTE ]

that was practically the first thing out of my mouth. it didn't matter - he still wanted me to give him help on how to cite it.

--

also, responding to an earlier question that I missed, when I answer the phone I do give my first name initially.

I'm a good employee, know my fecal matter, but I still wouldn't put it past them to can my arse. the only other negative thing in my file is a couple of (literally two - one verbal one written) warnings about being late (e.g. 5 minutes late is a problem b/c it's a call center).

also - regarding whether I should follow policy or not - I'm not going to get in any trouble for giving customers what they want b/c they won't complain. but then it creates problems for my co-workers who then have to deal w/ customers who were given what they weren't supposed to be given or told what they weren't supposed to be told.

they do randomly record calls but I'm guessing they missed this one.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only thing that comes to mind that you might have done differently is to tell the guy that your manager comes on duty at 8am (or whatever) and here is there name and phone number. And then politely ask him to call back then since there was nothing else that you could do for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in support as well and this ^^^ is a pretty standard line. If you aren't allowed to give out the Mgr's info, you could tell the customer that you will take down his information and get it to your Mgr first thing in the morning (or whenever you Mgr gets to work).

This line is much better than "sorry I can't help you". But at least you were polite...right?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:37 PM

polite:

"sir, Is there anything else I can do?"
"what's your badge number?"
"if there's nothing else I can do then I'm going to terminate the call."
"what's your last name?"
"Sir, is there anything else I can do? otherwise, I"m going to terminate the call"

this went on x3 or x4 and then I said goodbye and hung up.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:16 PM

You probably should have just kept declining to give him your personal information. Just say I can't provide you with that information. If he asks you 100 times, decline it 100 times. If he is a customer you definitely should not have hung up on him.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 PM

You should have just kept him on the line. You were getting paid and he was wasting time badgering you. To me, this moment would be one of the great joys of the job.