Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: The OCD in all of us

I do the same thing with volume control - has to be an even number or a 5. Same with thermostat or car climate control.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as a kid I had this thing - whatever I read or heard I tried to break it down into multiples of 5 syllables -

so instead of The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog, I'd bust it down to 10 syllables - o'er the lazy dog, for example - (find a work I could slur down to one syllable) and this always after I heard it - I'd repeat it in my head that way - did that for months as a kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Impressive.

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone has the thing where they can't step on the seam separating the concrete blocks on the sidewalk, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this, too, but I consider it more of a superstition than a compulsive ritual. Although, upon further thought, I suppose it's more OCD than refusing to pick up pennies that land on tails and throwing spilled salt over my left shoulder with my right hand (both of which I do).
Old 02-22-2007, 09:31 PM

My only OCD quirk (but it is a big one) is reading the ingredients on everything, every single time I eat at home. I have a severe peanut allergy, so reading the ingredients on everything is normal, or at least smart and reasonable. But I will read the ingredients every time I take something out, even if I have eaten it ten times before. I always want to check, just in case I missed something ten times and miraculously I've avoided an attack. It does not make sense, but I do it. It's probably more paranoia than OCD, because I'm incredibly afraid of anaphylaxis (closing of the throat).
Old 02-22-2007, 10:28 PM

I avoid stepping on any crack in the sidewalk. I constantly make little adjustments in my stride or pace to avoid having to jump to avoid a crack.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I do is whenever I have money, I make it all face the same way. Probably pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too and I always sit facing the door in any place, except my apartment.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:43 PM

Everyone has this ID card at my school for getting into the dorms at night, paying for food, laundry machines, vending machines, y'know. I keep it in my wallet. Every time I use it, it goes right back in there, having been taken out for twenty seconds at most. At least two or three times a day I get the compulsion to check and make sure it's still there, even though it always is and always has been, and I can't go on with whatever I'm doing unless I open the wallet and look. It's annoying. Also the volume thing.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I do is whenever I have money, I make it all face the same way. Probably pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too and I always sit facing the door in any place, except my apartment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has a lot to do with Feng Shui and the "Chi". With your back to a door or uncurtained window, your positive energy flows out of the room. The Chi also hates sitting in a chair in which people walk behind you a lot. This is why a lot of people are picky about where they sit at a restaurant.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 PM

not really OCD but kinda funny. If one of my hands is wet but the other is dry I have to get the other one wet before I can dry them both. Oh, and I tap my back pocket every few minutes to make sure my wallet is still there.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tap my back pocket every few minutes to make sure my wallet is still there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this one too. Also obsessively check my front pockets to make sure my cell phone/keys are still there.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has a lot to do with Feng Shui and the "Chi". With your back to a door or uncurtained window, your positive energy flows out of the room. The Chi also hates sitting in a chair in which people walk behind you a lot. This is why a lot of people are picky about where they sit at a restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you for putting that in my head.