Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: How to play KQo in these situations?

Letīs assume we give villain a relatively wide range of hands raising from UTG

55+,A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,A8o+,KTo+

Which means our pot equity is 44.43% and our EV is 1.8 SB IF we are certain that BB folds and we can also risk getting 3-bet from UTG if he has a premium hand.
By announcing our hand range we are also 100% certain that we will lose more when behind and win less when we are ahead which strongly reduces our possibility to extract the 1.8 SB which we are entitled to(under perfect conditions).
So we have to pray that we have really much folding equity and we already know that we donīt have because we are playing LOW LIMITS.
We also know that UI on flop we are only ahead of 8 possible hands and behind 25 hands(I donīt bother to count combos)which means that you have to keep betting or to be prepared to call down a bluff with K high.
Basically it really sucks not hitting a flop in this position regardless if you get HU or not.
The odds of calling is good enough if you play fit or fold because your opponents often are going to bet your hand for you.
Sure BB is getting better odds if we are calling but that does also means that if you hit you have one more player in the game that can pay you off.Since youīre playing fit or fold it doesnīt matter if he hit is T8.
I do think that players in the low limits must learn that playing passively OOP is the way to go when you donīt have a large pot equity or have good showdown value hands relatively to your opponents hands and position.
Playing aggressively with position and passively without position is absolutely vital to beat the ordinary low limit game.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Letīs assume we give villain a relatively wide range of hands raising from UTG

55+,A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,A8o+,KTo+

Which means our pot equity is 44.43% and our EV is 1.8 SB IF we are certain that BB folds and we can also risk getting 3-bet from UTG if he has a premium hand.
By announcing our hand range we are also 100% certain that we will lose more when behind and win less when we are ahead which strongly reduces our possibility to extract the 1.8 SB which we are entitled to(under perfect conditions).
So we have to pray that we have really much folding equity and we already know that we donīt have because we are playing LOW LIMITS.
We also know that UI on flop we are only ahead of 8 possible hands and behind 25 hands(I donīt bother to count combos)which means that you have to keep betting or to be prepared to call down a bluff with K high.
Basically it really sucks not hitting a flop in this position regardless if you get HU or not.
The odds of calling is good enough if you play fit or fold because your opponents often are going to bet your hand for you.
Sure BB is getting better odds if we are calling but that does also means that if you hit you have one more player in the game that can pay you off.Since youīre playing fit or fold it doesnīt matter if he hit is T8.
I do think that players in the low limits must learn that playing passively OOP is the way to go when you donīt have a large pot equity or have good showdown value hands relatively to your opponents hands and position.
Playing aggressively with position and passively without position is absolutely vital to beat the ordinary low limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the analysis but in all honesty I really do not like EV calcs in limit. The proper ranges are way to hard. I think in general your range is ok but inreality it could be way way tighter or way way looser. For example I would love for someone to have that TIGHT of a range for my maniac ass. Like I said earlier the analysis is well thought ouut but I do not think one can make an accurate enough assesment this way. Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM

I strongly disagree with you. More than 80% of all players have a tighter preflopraising range from UTG than the range I defined in my example. So an unknown is 80% more likely to have a preflopraising range tighter which means that reraising with KQo is even harder than in my example.
Probability and EV calculations is the bread and butter of Limit Hold EM so I canīt really understand what youīre saying.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Schneids was discussing something similar to this when defending his aggression factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? I searched and couldn't locate it.

BTW, I fold the first one unless UTG raises a ton PF. I definitely fold the second.

If this were KQs my answer changes a bunch, particularly for 1, in which if you can get SB and/or BB in the pot you have a nice multiway hand with position.