Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Shoe Help PLZ

I was hoping for a thread like this. My problem is that my feet are disproportionately small. I wear a 6 but kids' sizes generally end at size 5 and "grown-up" shoes start at 7 or 8. Obviously this creates problems for me. With persistence, I can usually find some stylish sneakers to wear but I'm getting to the age (and income level) where I want to own some nice pairs of shoes.

Does anyone know of a store or chain that would have a selection of shoes in my size? I've never had luck, even at upscale department stores, but I'll be in Las Vegas for the next three weeks if anyone knows any places I might check out.

Can anyone recommend a website for buying quality shoes? I would be looking to get a couple different styles and sizes and then send back the ones I don't like, hopefully with no hassle.

Other than semi-regular polishing, how do I care for quality shoes? I don't know if I walk strangely or what, but every pair of leather shoes I own develop "creases" in the leather at the base of the toe area. How can I prevent this?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Who,

"every pair of leather shoes I own develop "creases" in the leather at the base of the toe area. How can I prevent this?"

Shoe trees. Also, don't wear the same pair two days in a row or more than a couple of times per week.

"Can anyone recommend a website for buying quality shoes?"

I've never ordered shoes online, I like to try them on. But my sister and other friends recommend www.zappos.com .
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Ok I did this sweet post and our inet at work crashed or whatever....so rigged.

Basically any archetype of person. A good way to think of it is to pick out a character from a movie. Like a 60s journalist. I'd picture this person being very suave, smoking a cigarette and wearing something like a very tailored suit. He'd be better dressed than the person he's interviewing and be very mannered after sitting down (crossed legs, etc).

Okay, this is just some dumb example. I doubt you could or would ever want to pull it off...it's not congruent at all with who you are.

Honestly, what kind of movie character type do you identify yourself with? Rockstar at a premieire? Raver? Athlete? Mafia kingpin? It has to be something you are comfortable with and is energizing.

Shoes are v important to make your look...but if you just spend a bunch on them and then they don't really go with what image you really want to be striving for.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yugoslav
Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 PM

Bruiser,
if you want, you can come down to Providence for a day, I'll take you to some places and help you pick out a nice, new, practical wardrobe.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 PM

Yugo,

I've heard this idea of "having a look" or "belonging to a tribe" before and I think it makes a lot of sense. Fashion is an area where you have to either create your own look (if you know what you're doing) or copy a look wholesale. If you take bits and pieces from various styles, most of the time it won't look right.

The "look" I'm thinking of adopting is that of a modern-day rake, sort of a disreputable young man of leisure. I want to go with a sort of urbane dressed-up-but-not-dressy look like a stylish suit with an open-collared shirt. Almost a Euro look with stuff that's louder than business attire but nothing too flashy or colorful. I think this makes sense for me because I'm a 24-year-old professional gambler who's currently traveling the world. Also, these are the kind of clothes I like and would feel most confident in. Soon I'll be in Thailand and will be able to get anything I want custom-made at JC Penny prices.

As I stated in a post above, I'm not very familiar with quality shoes. What kinds of styles would go well with a casual suit? I'm thinking stylish but not too conservative and nothing too colorful or out-of-the-ordinary. My personal philosophy of style is that it should be like a Frank Lloyd Wright building: simple and balanced, eye-catching but not flashy.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
literally 100% of my shoes are spikeless golf shoes from footjoy, nike or ecco. theyre stylish, comfy, 100% waterproof, last over 5 years easy and your always ready for a putting contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks but i despise golf
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 AM

where are you living right now?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 AM

for casual shoes definitely check these out...

Adidas Rod Laver

Adidas Samba

Adidas Stan Smith

Onitsuka Tigers

Maybe throw in a pair of some cool retro Jordans if that is your thing too. Like others have said it really depends on your overall style.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
where are you living right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

amherst MA
Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

I think those look pretty sharp. BTW, if you scroll to the end of the link in my last post, check out those Allen Edmonds slip-ons. I love them, they are now my favorite pair of shoes. My friend GoG has a similar pair of Prada slip-ons that are great, but I do not have the kind of money that kid has for shoes like that. Anyway, prior to this pair, I had never been into slip-on dress shoes, but I love them now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thanks for the rec.

[ QUOTE ]
Allen Edmonds, Milford, $285.

[/ QUOTE ]

These look good - yeah never tried slip ons before, will check it out.

-Al