Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Statism, AC, and Corporatism- The End Result is the Same

[ QUOTE ]

What was your point, again?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that any extreme ends poorly. A government must be carefully constructed so that it promotes meritocracy as much as possible. Even then, it will probably eventually be subverted.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that any extreme ends poorly. A government must be carefully constructed so that it promotes meritocracy as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does your model government look like? How does it work? Pointing out flaws/downsides you see in existing models isn't terribly helpful unless you've got a better alternative.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am virtually locked out of the air travel business because of barriers to entry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would consider "no bank in their right mind will loan me the money I need for my crazy scheme" to be an unfair "barrier to entry" in the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, in other words, I have to explain the idea that I won't tell anyone in order to prove it's not a crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if you have the desire to have it implemented. But, it's a free country, your idea can go to the grave with you if you wish. But to call your decision not to pursue it a "barrier to entry" is a little lame.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that any extreme ends poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Platitudes like this always sound insightful but are ultimately meaningless. You haven't shown why a voluntary and contractual society is "extreme" and why a society based on institutionalized coercion and expropriation is not extreme.

[ QUOTE ]
A government must be carefully constructed so that it promotes meritocracy as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like saying that a lead sinker should be constructed so that it will float.

The free market is the ultimate meritocracy, by definition. Those who increase the supply of goods and services to their fellow men the most receive the rewards thereof.

[ QUOTE ]
Even then, it will probably eventually be subverted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Government is meritocracy subverted by definition. Things are not allocated by "merit," but by politics.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A government must be carefully constructed so that it promotes meritocracy as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, either the people promote a meritocracy with deliberate intent or wait for the "free market" to generate one spontaneously while existing wealth politely stands by and allows itself to be curtailed.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that any extreme ends poorly. A government must be carefully constructed so that it promotes meritocracy as much as possible. Even then, it will probably eventually be subverted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Institutionalized violence sounds pretty extreme to me. Even uninstitutionalized violence sounds extreme to me. Why are you supporting it?!?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Institutionalized violence sounds pretty extreme to me. Even uninstitutionalized violence sounds extreme to me. Why are you supporting it?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess: you're a gun-grabber, aren't you? This "all violence is bad, so be afraid, be very afraid" argument is the same sort of nonsense coming from the anti-Second Amendment crowd.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point is that any extreme ends poorly. A government must be carefully constructed so that it promotes meritocracy as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does your model government look like? How does it work? Pointing out flaws/downsides you see in existing models isn't terribly helpful unless you've got a better alternative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Light regulation that will not erect unnecesary barriers. Regulations would have to be legislated.

Decentralized banking (No Fed).

Privatization of most things the government does.

Anti-trust "type" laws that prevent the consolidation of power

Public judicial system

Public system of national defense

Decentralized media (both in production and distribution)

Taxation would have to be at or below the optimal rate of taxation

Anti-consolidation provisions, tax rates, and regulations would be in a Constitutional format along with the personal freedoms. All changes to the Constitution with regards to personal freedoms, domestic survellience, government regulations, and other provisions could only be changed via a 75% amendmant to the Constitution.

The executive would have the power to take unilateral action in an emergency, but Congress must approve continued military action via a formal Declaration of War within 30 days.

Balanced budget required (emergency defense spending withheld)

Just part of a quick brainstorm.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The free market is the ultimate meritocracy, by definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijack Alert: That's not true, unless you count "getting lucky" as being "merit".
Old 02-19-2007, 08:17 PM

Anyway mempho what is your masterplan? Please be more specific than " u know ...something in the middle...."

edit: wrote reply before reading ure last post.