Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 09:51 PM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!
Default Re: Dubai = Greatest City in The World?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Future Overhead

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may look "neat", can you comprehend on just how much money is being completely blown on this? We're talking end poverty in the world forever money.

Glad to see that Dubai and all those rich oil people are trying to make the world a better place...

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty stupid post.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:02 PM

at least get a more current Dubai overhead...

Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Having been to both, i can say Dubai compares in many ways to Vegas. It's a cool and fun place to be, but the whole country revolves around money, and there's a huge amount of people humping crappy jobs for very little money to bring you your experience. There's also a ton of hookers everywhere.

I'd say its a fairly depressing place to live for a long period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there a few times, but not in several years. It's interesting, but I definitely wouldn't make it out to be one of the top world cities.

Seemed like tons of Germans were vacationing there. I think it's rivaling Bahrain for 'fun' (Bahrain being the Saudis weekend party venue).

Still, it's BALLS ASS HOT. Yes, Vegas gets hot, too, but because of the Gulf, it's also BALLS ASS HUMID. The combination makes it unbearable.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much did you spend on dinner last night? If it was greater than like the $3 you could have gotten by with, you could have spent the difference curing world hunger. Same with your shoes, car, etc.

This is a very standard hypocritical view IMO.

More on Dubai via ytmnd: http://dubai.ytmnd.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a HUGE difference in someone spending more than $3 on dinner and someone who is spending 2 billion dollars for a manmade island that is no more than a swinging of their penis saying "I'm so rich, I can make an island that looks like a palm tree"
Old 02-17-2007, 11:06 PM

Dubai is not the greatest city in the world yet, but it will be in about 3 years once most of the stuff you see being built now is already done (including their metro system which will ease their traffic problems, the dubai marina, the palm islands and the world islands, burj dubai etc)

dubai is the city of the future, much like Vegas was.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but apart from the real estate projects, what is so good about it? taxes, laws, demographics, propensity to party, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]
The current issue of National Geographic has a rather large article about Dubai. A nice balanced look in my opinion. The current ruler (prince, king, or something) is actually a very forward thinking individual by Arab/Muslim standards.

Women play some important roles in running the country's businesses.

On the other hand foreign construction workers are dying at a signifigant rate. I believe they said the worst day last year was a few more than 900. They seem to be really pressed to get those buildings up before the oil dries out.

The reason I quoted your post in the first place, that I found kind of suprising:
Tons of hookers.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much did you spend on dinner last night? If it was greater than like the $3 you could have gotten by with, you could have spent the difference curing world hunger. Same with your shoes, car, etc.

This is a very standard hypocritical view IMO.

More on Dubai via ytmnd: http://dubai.ytmnd.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a HUGE difference in someone spending more than $3 on dinner and someone who is spending 2 billion dollars for a manmade island that is no more than a swinging of their penis saying "I'm so rich, I can make an island that looks like a palm tree"

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree. Say you could have gotten a meal that was relatively extravagant for $20, but could have satiated yourself nutritionally at the same level for $3. The $17 difference could have made a significant difference for a family in a third world nation.

Same with the billions of dollars into real estate and all that in Dubai.

You enjoy the dinner more than giving away the money.
Dubai enjoys the real estate novelty(well it's a lot more than that but even assuming that is all that it is as you suggest) more than giving it away.

You are spending money on your own preferences at the expense of world welfare, so are they(according to you).

What is the difference, other than that they are doing it with a lot more money than you?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference, other than that they are doing it with a lot more money than you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is they can create change because of the amount of money they have. My donated 21% of earnings this past tax year is meaningless in the whole scheme of things.

Now, if they donated 21% of their earnings this past year, the world would change for the better.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is they can create change because of the amount of money they have. My donated 21% of earnings this past tax year is meaningless in the whole scheme of things.

Now, if they donated 21% of their earnings this past year, the world would change for the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's an important PSA for the idealists out there:
donations don't make the world a better place. increases in productivity do.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here's an important PSA for the idealists out there:
donations don't make the world a better place. increases in productivity do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]