Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Best Movie Directors and Their Movies

Guillermo del Toro - Blade II(also did Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth)
Alex Proyas - The Crow(also did Dark City)
Walter Hill - Crossroads(also did The Warriors, 48 Hrs., and Trespass)
Mike Nichols - Primary Colors(also did Wolf, Closer, and Wit)
Sam Mendes - American Beauty(also did Road to Perdition and Jarhead)

And, uh...Quentin Tarantino, anyone?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Robert Bresson: A collection of masterpieces, but I keep coming back to Pickpocket over and over although it's really hard to choose over Au Hassard Balthazar, Mouchette, A Man Escaped, or Diary of a Country Priest.

Hitchcock: Strangers on a Train is worth watching over and over. And it's a terrific examination of class in American society.

John Ford: I love The Searchers, but is it really better than Stagecoach?

Jacques Tati: The Hulot films are all terrific, but I never get tired of M. Hulot's Holiday--how could anyone? Hulot even tips his hat to a radio announcer!

Howard Hawks: Scarface and Bringing Up Baby (tie). Hawks could, and did, do just about anything.

Truffaut: Day for Night, a gorgeous and generous celebration of filmmaking and good old humanity.

Fellini: 8 1/2 is another film about filmmaking; if you don't get the dance at the end of the film, then you don't get movies. Sorry.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kai War Wong - In the Mood for Love
What an absolutely amazing motion picture. I thought no one could surprise me with their framing until I saw this movie...utterly original and gorgeous. It's like a 1940s Film Noir mixed with Douglas Sirk at his most melodramatic and sprinkled with just the right amount of Asian sensibility. Fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you seen 2046 yet? what about days of being wild? will have to watch in the mood for love, as you say it's the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

while I like 2046 a lot, in the mood for love was the superior of the two. We were fully able to delve into Mr Chow's and Mrs. Chan's relationship. 2046 bounces around too much IMO and we don't get to fully understand his other relationships
Old 02-17-2007, 02:42 AM

TY. Hate Spielberg, except for Schindler's
Old 02-17-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TY. Hate Spielberg, except for Schindler's

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, all you too-cool-for-school filmies "hate" Spielberg? Has he not made some of the greatest films of all time? Are you saying you don't think Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T. and Raiders are fantastic movies?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:30 AM

I don't hate SS at all, I think he's a tremendous director, especially the early work. Raiders, anyone?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:43 PM

I'm not a fan. I think of the almost unstoppable, inhuman cheesiness and pandering he's into, and we have to weigh his good ones versus atrocities like The Color Purple. If he hadn't remembered he was Jewish, he'd be thought of as a man of great talent who didn't care to make much use of it and hadn't done much interesting for a very long time, and who can have startlingly bad judgment -- on a Michael Crichton-like scale -- when it comes to depicting any human relations that go beyond the juvenile.

Loved Raiders(the first one) and Jaws, though. Close Encounters was full of dead spaces, but I mostly liked it. ET I can live without, but it's a good kid's movie.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:46 PM

OP, those were really good choices.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great choices except for Kubrick...Paths of Glory is infinitely better than Clockwork...I actually feel Clockwork is his weakest film.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strongly disagree; Clockwork is an excellent film. Paths of Glory is good, too, though.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan. I think of the almost unstoppable, inhuman cheesiness and pandering he's into, and we have to weigh his good ones versus atrocities like The Color Purple. If he hadn't remembered he was Jewish, he'd be thought of as a man of great talent who didn't care to make much use of it and hadn't done much interesting for a very long time, and who can have startlingly bad judgment -- on a Michael Crichton-like scale -- when it comes to depicting any human relations that go beyond the juvenile.

Loved Raiders(the first one) and Jaws, though. Close Encounters was full of dead spaces, but I mostly liked it. ET I can live without, but it's a good kid's movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I can't believe this. Here's a long list of the movies he has made that I consider to be at least very good, if not fantastic (and bold for absolutely superb):

Munich (2005)
Catch Me If You Can (2002)
Minority Report (2002)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Amistad (1997)
Schindler's List (1993)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Always (1989)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Empire of the Sun (1987)
The Color Purple (1985)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Jaws (1975)