Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Do you tip when you\'re down?

The fact that they are relying on tips is not in itself an argument that I should tip them for bad service.

It is however an argument that the dealer should do his best to be a dealer worthy of tips. I'm not saying you shouldn't tip a good dealer but there's no reason to tip a poor one.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:28 PM

I tip no matter how I'm feeling.

What was your question again?
Greg
Old 09-19-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I hate the argument that these people rely on tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that, well, they do. You get the service they provide and pay the rake that you do becuase people tip, not in spite of it. Do you really think anyone would work as a dealer for minimum wage?

Of course, if the work is sub par, you have every right to not tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the work I've done for minimum wage (no tips) yeah I don't think they'd have a problem finding dealers.

Note: I do tip, even for average service, I just don't think it should be mandatory just because that person works a job that "relies on tips". I tip a dollar for any pot over $20, no more and no less regardless of how I'm running.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Hey hey hey, it's Monday! Yet another weekly flame ...err..tipping thread has been started!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:38 PM

Location: Barry\'s baby is quite cute though and is well worth buying. David Sklansky

This nonsense about people who don't tip not being able to "afford" poker is rubbish. If you notice people are habitually not tipping, it is an indication they are also habitually winning pots. Actually, let me tell you who gets steamed about tipping subjects. Poor people. That's right, I said it. The same poor people who whine and moan about not tipping waitresses at the greasy spoon hole-in-the-wall diner off I-95 are the same poor people who feel as if not throwing a white chip at the grumpy, unkempt non-English speaking pauper who pitches the cards so guys like Frankie Malone and Johnny B. can rake in pots larger than what he makes in a day every 20 minutes or so. The poor are in some sort of secret guilt-based fraternity whose purpose is to shame the rest of the universe into supporting their service occupations. Poor people get angry about tips because a culture of tipping protects their livelihoods. Oh yeah, and there's another group of people who gets angry about tips by extension, dumb people, who buy into this charade. Try not tipping for a while and see how it feels for comparison. It is fun and very spiritual, almost like meditation for cosmic consciousness. You will find the truth in the moments of silence between each untipped hand. I do.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This nonsense about people who don't tip not being able to "afford" poker is rubbish. If you notice people are habitually not tipping, it is an indication they are also habitually winning pots. Actually, let me tell you who gets steamed about tipping subjects. Poor people. That's right, I said it. The same poor people who whine and moan about not tipping waitresses at the greasy spoon hole-in-the-wall diner off I-95 are the same poor people who feel as if not throwing a white chip at the grumpy, unkempt non-English speaking pauper who pitches the cards so guys like Frankie Malone and Johnny B. can rake in pots larger than what he makes in a day every 20 minutes or so. The poor are in some sort of secret guilt-based fraternity whose purpose is to shame the rest of the universe into supporting their service occupations. Poor people get angry about tips because a culture of tipping protects their livelihoods. Oh yeah, and there's another group of people who gets angry about tips by extension, dumb people, who buy into this charade. Try not tipping for a while and see how it feels for comparison. It is fun and very spiritual, almost like meditation for cosmic consciousness. You will find the truth in the moments of silence between each untipped hand. I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, it's the Steve Buscemi character from Reservoir Dogs! I hope your next waiter spits in your food.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:15 PM

One Jeff to another, I am exactly in this camphttp://forumserver.twoplustwo.co...cons/laugh.gif
laugh
Old 09-19-2005, 06:07 PM

Awesome, I agree completly. Players have absolutely no obligation of any kind to tip. Dealers, on the other hand, have an obligation to do their jobs well. Why then do we so often see bad dealers and compulsive tippers? If these dealers are getting a dollar per hand, or even if it's only a dollar every other hand, they're making several times minimum wage from tips. Does anyone know why they're paid a wage at all? I really can't feel guilty that me not tipping made the guy only make $13 that hour instead of $15, or $25 instead of $30. There are a lot of people doing harder jobs who make less than that.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know why they're paid a wage at all? I really can't feel guilty that me not tipping made the guy only make $13 that hour instead of $15, or $25 instead of $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're overestimating wages, I think. It's more like earning $10 an hour instead of $3, or $12 instead of $6.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:56 PM

Another tipping thread!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!