Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Talk about irony... Stephen A Smith

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Atheists have not been "insisting on no prayer in schools." Both teachers and students are free to pray in school.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.atheists.org/publicschools/faqs.prayer.html

[/ QUOTE ]

The Atheists.org FAQ is the Bible of atheists after all.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 AM

That likely was his point. Personally I don't think organized prayer is a bad thing so long as nobody is being forced to pray and it isn't taking more than a few minutes out of the day from studies.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sarcastic response only shows your lack of comprehension. When I say "Atheists want to abolish prayer in schools," I clearly meant that some atheists are taking things too far IMO, and that FAQ shows that.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That likely was his point. Personally I don't think organized prayer is a bad thing so long as nobody is being forced to pray and it isn't taking more than a few minutes out of the day from studies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree personally. I think religion/theism is kinda dumb personally, but I know it's very meaningful and rewarding to some people and I do not begrudge them that. As long as it's not mandatory I see no reason to object. And FWIW I find most "militant atheists" obnoxious and embarassing... that's why I say "I don't believe in god" instead of "I'm an atheist."
Old 02-13-2007, 03:46 AM

The best part about this is how you have a "panel" of three people discussing atheism - and none of them are atheists.

Here is part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiyJzWy3CDQ

Here's a remix of the videos that is worth watching so you aren't completely demoralized by these idiots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ffu95fORAg
Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that no atheist should be forced to pray in school or whatever, but I don't have a problem with other students/teachers praying.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isnt a good idea. If the majority prays and a few dont they will probably not be accepted by the other kids. Its just the way kids are. Also I dont think its fair to force a kid to answer questions like, "so you dont believe in god? why?" in school. That sounds like its something that should just not be asked from a kid. Thats why I like the no prayer in school thing.

[ QUOTE ]
I do agree with the black chicks on some points though. I think some atheists have been taking things a bit far by removing the ten commandments from that courthouse, insisting on no prayer in schools etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this as well. I think the idiot who wanted to remove under god from the money and pledge of allegiance has too much time on his damn hands and should be shot for being an idiot. He is no different from the idiots who form the religious right and feel that everyone should be Christian. Both sides are stupid.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sarcastic response only shows your lack of comprehension. When I say "Atheists want to abolish prayer in schools," I clearly meant that some atheists are taking things too far IMO, and that FAQ shows that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I comprehended completely. I was sarcastic because quoting anything off an atheist website as a representation of atheists is retarded. Those atheists have a much different agenda than the typical passive atheist.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM

I don't know why the blonde felt the need to tell us she was jewish, but i'm ashamed that she did.

I can't believe I just heard a pulitzer prize winner repeat the phrase "They just need to shut up" over and again.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I just heard a pulitzer prize winner repeat the phrase "They just need to shut up" over and again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it would help if you were to re-evaluate whatever process you used to determine the value of winning a Pulitzer. Winning a prize doesn't make one intelligent or civil.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:03 AM

maybe i dont understand the "no prayer in school" reasoning. why? because you shouldnt be pressured to take part in an activity you dont want (or feel comfortable, or disagree with) doing? How is this any different than saying the pledge (without "one nation under God"), or being forced to do hw assignments that you believe play no importance or relavence to your class, or taking tests, or watching a movie in class that talks about sexuality, or required reading on a book about something that makes you uncomfortable (for whatever reason), etc, etc.

now, forcing kids to pray is different, but having a "prayer" before class/assembly/etc (that kids can either participate in, or sit quietly and wait)? i dont see the big deal. im christian, and if my school wanted to have a muslim prayer, or a scientology prayer, or a prayer to zues, i would not care, i'd just respect their beliefs, and wait until they were done. how hard is that?