Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: People who attempt to practice medicine without a license should be fined and/or imprisoned
Agree 6 33.33%
Disagree 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Most unbeatable record

I think one day we will discover various types of performance-enhancing and career-extending drugs that will lead to athletes retiring in their late 40's/early 50's, eventually even longer than that. Well, actually, somebody probably already has and his name is Roger Clemens, but it will go more mainstream in due time. All of these records will then be broken.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think one day we will discover various types of performance-enhancing and career-extending drugs that will lead to athletes retiring in their late 40's/early 50's, eventually even longer than that. Well, actually, somebody probably already has and his name is Roger Clemens, but it will go more mainstream in due time. All of these records will then be broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about Clemens cheating, but I think any record that involves playing for a long time will eventually fall because as people live longer they will inevitably have longer careers. I think the two grand slams in an inning is a lot harder than the Cy Young Record because eventually a Ricky Henderson of pitching will come along and play forever and get all the records.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 AM

Roger Clemens has played for a very long time.

He is, perhaps, the best pitcher of all time.

He has 60% of Cy's wins.

The way baseball is played today, there is essentially a 0% chance that Cy's win record will be broken. The way pitchers are used (or the way wins are tracked) will have to change dramatically for that record to ever be approached.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:40 AM

I think both are possible.

Think in terms of a rotation of a bunch of guys going 3 innings at a shot.
Starter currently wouldn't qualify for the win if he goes less than 5. So some middle-reliever could rack up a ton of wins.

With some of the crappy rotations out there one wonders if it's possible something like this could happen 20-30 yrs from now.

Also, better weight-training and nutrition will absolutely lead to longer careers.
Wasn't too long ago that that kind of stuff was taken quite so seriously.

The knuckle-ball isn't completely dead and has allowed guys like the Niekro's and Wakefield to stay in the game for a long time. Another knuckler, getting more frequent appearances, and staying in shape and eating well MIGHT have a chance to approach it.

I agree that it's pretty unlikely. When you look at a Clemens-like career and see how far away he still is it looks pretty impossible.
Just trying to think of different changes that could happen that could make it possible.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the two grand slams in an inning is a lot harder than the Cy Young Record because eventually a Ricky Henderson of pitching will come along and play forever and get all the records

[/ QUOTE ]

Ricky played for 25 seasons. Clemens has played 23
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 AM

For non-career type records, it's probably Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games. Even his career records are probably safe forever. Unless the NHL makes drastic changes, goaltenders are so much better now than in the 80's, I can't ever see somebody beating his career totals.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Archie Moore's 141 career KO's might last awhile, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a lot like some pitching records. Pitcher's don't go CGs every start anymore. Boxers don't have 100+ fights. Hell, most don't even have 50 fights.

I'd be really surprised if this one gets anywhere close to being touched.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:05 PM

Wilt's 100 points.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wilt's 100 points.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are some guys in the NBA right now that could could make a run at this. It has more to do with actually trying to run it up and get it than actual ability.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wilt's 100 points.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are some guys in the NBA right now that could could make a run at this. It has more to do with actually trying to run it up and get it than actual ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This one will fall eventually. It's more about the situation than the player.