Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Sigh another hacked thread for randallin

[ QUOTE ]
I try to take precautions and keep up to date, but these evil doers are just too quick with the hacking crap.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, they really aren't. Nobody who is up to date with this is going to waste 5-6 hours to scam somebody out of $1k. They are mostly just using methods which are commonly available. I know some real hackers and that is a completely different ball game, if they want your poker money they will get it, but they have more profitable things to do (even legally) and thus do not care. And there are so few of them that it's more likely you will be struck by lightning.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 PM

Soul,
As long as your computer is in a safe physical location isnt auto login better since it circumvents keyloggers?
~J
Old 02-11-2007, 12:15 AM

Jur or just do what I do and have regular comp always logged into stars, unless I am on my laptop than I leave that on.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 AM

www.aimencrypt.com for .. aim encryption.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I try to take precautions and keep up to date, but these evil doers are just too quick with the hacking crap.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, they really aren't. Nobody who is up to date with this is going to waste 5-6 hours to scam somebody out of $1k. They are mostly just using methods which are commonly available. I know some real hackers and that is a completely different ball game, if they want your poker money they will get it, but they have more profitable things to do (even legally) and thus do not care. And there are so few of them that it's more likely you will be struck by lightning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very safe then, no big bucks online. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2007, 03:09 AM

FWIW, I didn't go through loopholes like Annette did when I got hacked. I obv wasn't secure enough though. Could a keylogger be automatically downloaded from a website or must it be actively opened?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Soul,
As long as your computer is in a safe physical location isnt auto login better since it circumvents keyloggers?
~J

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess so. If you move your laptop a lot, I would say it's a bigger risk, since theft may so easily lead to all your poker funds getting lost. After all, any poker player will know about auto login and try it if they have shady intentions.

Also, you really don't need to worry about keyloggers if you take the precautions I described.

If you don't move your computer around much, I don't see a problem with auto login.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I didn't go through loopholes like Annette did when I got hacked. I obv wasn't secure enough though. Could a keylogger be automatically downloaded from a website or must it be actively opened?

[/ QUOTE ]
Security loopholes in browsers (particularly IE) are unfortunately discovered frequently, so malware may find it's way to your computer anyway IF you don't take the appropriate measures (anti-virus, spyware detection).

To minimize risks from browsers, use another browser than IE (Opera or Firefox) and don't lurk on shady sites. Funny story: I once googled for how to disable/bypass motion detectors (for my roleplaying game obv), found a really shady site where semi-professional thieves had their own forum and got a virus. My anti-virus client didn't discover it either, since it was brand spanking new (and thus not in the signature files). This was just after a critical security hole was discovered in IE, which I used at the time.

So yeah, it is possible to get nasty [censored] from browsing and downloading what you believe to be safe files...but it's not very likely.