Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Obama=Poker Player

[ QUOTE ]
imo there will be a black president before a woman president. There's a certain portion of the population who could probably stomach voting for a light-skinned black man more than they could a woman. A woman like Hilary or Pelosi doesn't stand a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Also, I don't think that only "ultra-liberals" will vote for him. Both of my parents, who have only ever voted for a Republican presidential candidate, are seriously considering voting for him if he makes it to the general election.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both of my parents, who have only ever voted for a Republican presidential candidate, are seriously considering voting for him if he makes it to the general election.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, what are their reasons for making this consideration "serious" at this point?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

imo there will be a black president before a woman president. There's a certain portion of the population who could probably stomach voting for a light-skinned black man more than they could a woman. A woman like Hilary or Pelosi doesn't stand a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

16 women are currently US Senators. Only one black Senator (only 3 total since Reconstruction).
Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a German who lived in the States for a couple of years I don't really think that America is ready for a black president yet. He won't simply get a majority.

I think America will vote a woman into office and even this is not absolutely sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you really think 50% of Americans are uncomfortable with a black president then you haven't lived here long enough.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a German who lived in the States for a couple of years I don't really think that America is ready for a black president yet. He won't simply get a majority.

I think America will vote a woman into office and even this is not absolutely sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you really think 50% of Americans are uncomfortable with a black president then you haven't lived here long enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't take 50%. Consider how close the last two presidential elections have been. Now swing 2-3% in Ohio, Florida, etc.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both of my parents, who have only ever voted for a Republican presidential candidate, are seriously considering voting for him if he makes it to the general election.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, what are their reasons for making this consideration "serious" at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother likes Giuliani; my father likes McCain. Neither supports any other GOP candidate. Both have told me that they would vote for Obama over any other GOP candidate, and my mom may even vote for Obama over anyone. Granted, the election is a long way away, and they could change their minds.

I was just making the point that, while they are fairly moderate Republicans, Obama is the only Democratic presidential candidate that has really interested them in over 34 years.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why? Nobody but an ultra-liberal is going to vote for Obama anyway once they see what he really believes,

[/ QUOTE ]

Want to bet on that? I even lay you good odds. Find the % of ultra liberal voters, and I can assure you Obama will easily surpases that total. I'm serious and ready to make a hefty bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being hysterical, of course; certainly almost every registered Dem & many independents would vote for him.

My point was that he's far more liberal than he lets on, esp. on judges.

And BTW, can I vote for some ticket picked from Janice Rogers Brown, Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell, William Raspberry, & Walter Williams in 11/08, please?

No, seriously, please?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother likes Giuliani; my father likes McCain. Neither supports any other GOP candidate. Both have told me that they would vote for Obama over any other GOP candidate, and my mom may even vote for Obama over anyone. Granted, the election is a long way away, and they could change their minds.

I was just making the point that, while they are fairly moderate Republicans, Obama is the only Democratic presidential candidate that has really interested them in over 34 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what has "interested them" about him?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who says he needs one?