Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Homeless people / panhandlers

When you give money to a panhandler they see you as an object -- a thing that gives money when the right buttons are pressed -- not a person.

Sometimes I put this aside and give money nevertheless, often for reasons diablo mentioned (if I get something from the interaction or if they look reallly hard up).

Personally, I prefer to break through the BS and establish a genuine if brief relationship with them. This is how I do it:

- Homeless guy: "Spare some change?"

- Me: "No, sorry I don't have any change but would you like a cigarette?"

- HG "ya, thanks."

I take out my camel lights and present homeless guy with *2* cigarettes (second cigarette is key). Homeless guy stares down trying to figure out if I'm offering him 2, or if one is for me, or what. He realizes they are both for him, he realizes that *I* do not see him as a mere object; ("thing to assuage guilt"), and then he takes the cigarettes and expresses appreciation that seems more genuine than the gratitude expressed in response to any monetary payout (and I've given homeless guys a $20 before, just to see the reaction -- their response is inevitably to think you're a mark and to ask for more money).
Old 02-08-2007, 07:18 PM

How can you guys forget the bum [censored] someone in OOT received?

Last summer working at what seemed a meaningless business job in SF I resolved to take some bums out to dinner and get to know them, hear about their life etc. but never did it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

One time on a date we got out at bart and I had no idea how to get where we needed to go. We started look at a map and this dude that called himself "information larry" or something showed us the quickest ways to get where we needed to go, what bus routes to take if we wanted, etc. Very helpful and also funny. I gave him 2 bucks.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 PM

In Manchester I find a lot of them try to shake your hand and introduce themselves and talk like they know you. This pisses me right off. Worst pitch was a guy who asked me for some change as he stepped out of the door of Ladbrokes (a bookies). I rarely give to anyone except good buskers.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Sometimes i like to give to the guys that sit outside the liquor store because i respect them for not trying to [censored] me. Musicians (tho they are often not homeless i think)also often get my monies.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you give money to a panhandler they see you as an object -- a thing that gives money when the right buttons are pressed -- not a person.

Sometimes I put this aside and give money nevertheless, often for reasons diablo mentioned (if I get something from the interaction or if they look reallly hard up).

Personally, I prefer to break through the BS and establish a genuine if brief relationship with them. This is how I do it:

- Homeless guy: "Spare some change?"

- Me: "No, sorry I don't have any change but would you like a cigarette?"

- HG "ya, thanks."

I take out my camel lights and present homeless guy with *2* cigarettes (second cigarette is key). Homeless guy stares down trying to figure out if I'm offering him 2, or if one is for me, or what. He realizes they are both for him, he realizes that *I* do not see him as a mere object; ("thing to assuage guilt"), and then he takes the cigarettes and expresses appreciation that seems more genuine than the gratitude expressed in response to any monetary payout (and I've given homeless guys a $20 before, just to see the reaction -- their response is inevitably to think you're a mark and to ask for more money).

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess you must be one of those people that advocates solving the homeless problem by killing the homeless.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

outside of subway cars, I will never ignore anyone who approaches me and asks me for money. usually I listen for a second, and then look them in the eye and tell them no or occasionally I'll give them money. for some reason I always feel weird about just ignoring people who are talking to you, even if they are asking for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm curious whether they typically prefer the acknowledgment, or the look the other way brushoff that they normally get.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 PM

im pretty good about throwing a dollar or 2 to a homeless guy, but i work in a bar/club district, so i ve been seeing the same ones for years. if i give you money once, i wont give you any ever again.

ive heard all the sob stories:need gas, blah blah blah, i swear if one of them ever just said "hey i need $30 for a bottle of jack" i would totally give it to them, because, hey i'd like a bottle of jack too, esp if i was homeless. or if they said "i need $100 for a cheap hotel and a $20 hooker" i think i just might give it to them
Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 PM

I almost always give them money. I figure anyone who has to approach a stranger on the street for money needs it more than I do.

I also haven't had anywhere near the number of bad experiences it seems most of the people around here have. So nothing's happened to turn me off to the idea.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:09 PM

i go to starbucks just about every morning, usually the same one (on granville@georgia, the one one the east side of the street, not the one on the west side). there's usually this dude sitting on a ledge between the london drugs and the starbucks, and everytime i walk past him he asks 'spare change for coffee dude?' i usually acknowledge him but shake my head no, and he always says, 'alright, i understand, thanks'. then, after i'm a couple meters away he yells something crazy. today it was 'my girlfriend came from sacramento and gave everyone head!'. yesterday it was, 'aliens control radio media!'. usually if he makes me laugh i buy him a coffee.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:15 PM

Best line used by a bum to get me was...

"Hey man, I was wondering if you could spare a few dollars. I just got release from jail <rest of what he said trailed off as I reached into my small white-boy pockets and gave him $3>".

I personally NEVER give money to bums unless I'm drunk. When I'm drunk I either call the cops or give them money...fold or push baby!

a) they get my money via tax dollars
b) they have a networth higher than mine (student loans are a pain)