Default Re: Safe driving tips.

[ QUOTE ]
don't be asian

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a worldwide thing?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 PM

These probably go without saying, but hopefully someone will learn something:

Learn to signal correctly at roundabouts.

Look in your rear view mirror every time you change something e.g. speed, gear, direction.

On motorways, don't just look one or two cars ahead of you, look ahead as far as you can see because things happen so quickly on these fast roads.

When driving in icy/slippery/muddy conditions, a higher gear is better than a more powerful lower gear. I can't remember why, but it is.

Edit: Pooh Bah post.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here’s mine. A friend told me he learned this in a safe driving class he had to take after getting a traffic citation.

Adjust your mirrors so that you have NO blind spots. Adjust the rear view mirror on the windshield as you normally would. This is your main view to the rear.
Sit in the drivers seat and lean your head over to the drivers window and adjust the driver’s side mirror so you can just see the rear corner of your own vehicle.
Now, lean to the middle of the front seat and adjust the passenger’s side mirror so you can just see that rear corner of your vehicle.

Now as you drive down the road you will have no blind spots. Before a vehicle leaves your view in the rear view mirror you will be able to see it in the side view mirrors. Before you lose sight of the vehicle in the side view mirrors you will be able to see it with your peripheral vision.

It took me a couple days/week to get used to this configuration.

(If you never allow anybody to pass you, you can disregard this info.) [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm just curious how people have their mirrors arranged, if not like this. I thought this was pretty standard, not some sort of huge revelation.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:09 PM

When using the channelized/center left turn lane on divided highways get as far left as possible since there is traffic in the next lane to the right screaming by.

Lose the cell phone. Yes you. I've seen people that failed to successfully pilot a shopping cart while phone engaged. You are not driving well while BSing on the phone. Really.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Some of these aren't really for safety but here goes:

1) If you're in a center lane at a stoplight with 3 or more lanes, position your vehicle into the rightmost part of the center lane.

This way if the light gets backed up and a car needs to squeeze into the left lane to turn left, you are far less likely to get nipped on the left hand side of your car than if you were in the left-most part of the lane. This only applies in rare cases but is still useful to know.

Also in general when you are on a congested highway you should stay in the left-most part of your lane when you are in the left lane, and in the right-most part of your lane when you're in the right lane. This makes it a LOT harder to get sideswiped if someone changes lanes by mistake.

2) When changing lanes on a crowded highway, do it VERY slowly if people are next to you. I'll even drive in two lanes for several seconds just to make sure everyone realizes I am changing lanes and doesn't sideswipe me.

3) When going down a hill, don't use the gas pedal. Simply coast and you'll achieve the same result and save on gas.

4) When in congested traffic, especially on a freeway, try not to accelerate or use your brakes unless absolutely necessary. It wastes gas and wears out your brake pads, and furthermore, racing to meet the car in front of you helps no one if the traffic isn't moving.

5) Do not drive next to other cars unless absolutely necessary! This is the #1 cause of accidents and basic common sense that few drivers adhere to.

Also if you insist on driving with a cell phone, get a headset or a speakerphone.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:06 AM

DON'T BE AN A-HOLE! which means
1. Don't drive slow in the fast lane, move right: nothing worse than some a-hole doing 60 in the fast lane on the freeway. If you see some car following you in the left lane, he is not stalking you, YOU ARE GOING TOO SLOW! move to the middle lane and let the car behind you pass you by. Don't slow down traffic.
2. Always signal in the freeway, signal everywhere:Nothing says douche more than someone that doesn't signal in the freeway or anywhere else for that matter. Nothing makes me angrier than some douche moving into my lane without signaling when on the freeway.
3. When you signal, do it ahead of time to give other drivers more time to notice, make your intentions known:I see a lot of people that signal just about when they are to change lanes or during changing lanes. If you are going to change lanes start signaling right away to make your intentions known to other drivers. Don't just signal and 1 second later change lanes. This is specially true on the freeway I see it everyday.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 AM

If you do get pulled over, don't be afraid to ask for a warning... I've been pulled over three times in 2006 and got out of 2 just for asking for a warning. All three were in Pennsylvania fwiw.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:21 AM

As other have said, put the phone down. Periodically check to make sure all you lights are working (turn signals, brake lights and headlights). Make sure your tires are properly inflated and you have enough thread. Having a SUV will not help you stop faster in slippery conditions, SLOW DOWN. Bridges really do freeze faster than the road. Leave tons of extra space betwenn vehicles when the temperature is near freezing and there is precipitation. Use crosswalk countdown timers to predict when a signal is about to change. DO NOT BLOCK THE BOX.

Most of this is common sense... but most people lack common sense....
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM

When you get pulled over:

1. No quick or odd movements while pulling to the right ASAP.
2. Hands on the steering wheel until the Officer is comfortable. He really needs to be comfortable or you might die.
3. Tell him you need to dig in the glove box before you do it.
4. 'Officer' is good, 'Sir' is OK, 'Deputy' if you're dealing with a sherriff's dept.
5. Any attitude will cost you.
6. It helps if you're 30+ YO.
7. Every ahole gets a ticket or worse. Most solid citizens get a pass.