Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Set - value bet or check behind against 4 opponents and drawy board

There are all kinds of lines and reasoning why you could play this hand the way you did or another way.

The benefits to checking behind on the turn are you avoid having to pay two bets when behind. The disadvantages are you give a free card miss money when you are ahead.

The paradox about this situation is that the more players in, the more money you stand to win by betting, but the more likely someone has drawn a flush and that you are actually behind. The less players in, the less likely you are behind, but the less money you stand to make by betting, and the more you will lose theoretically, if behind.

So as you can see, this is usually a close decision. The factors I use to swing me one way or another are: in the absence of any other information, always bet and call a raise. If you pick up tells that indicate someone is trapping, and if that tell seems genuine, and the players are better caliber and know that you will usually bet, and if there arent many players, consider checking. However, if the players are poor and exhibiting alot of fake out moves, usually always bet. Checking the best hand here against more than two opponents is probably more of a mistake then betting the second best hand with a redraw to improve to the best hand.

As far as your river check, I think this is pretty bad. You have a whole field checking to you twice and you have a very good hand. I would bet everytime. Nobody with a hand that beats you is going to risk checking it thru on the river, unless they are total timid types that would check a flush or straight twice. Unless you see some of these types in the lineup, always bet.

-J
Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 PM

way to play scared poker.

who cares if they have the flush, you have top set. bet, get check raised, river a boat, raise the river.

bet the turn, bet the river.

I will give you a tip: You won't have the nuts on the river everytime, but you are still going to have to bet.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Set - value bet or check behind against 4 opponents and drawy boar

[ QUOTE ]
I probably check turn against three opponents, but river is easy easy bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

you probably suck at poker though
Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are all kinds of lines and reasoning why you could play this hand the way you did or another way.

The benefits to checking behind on the turn are you avoid having to pay two bets when behind. The disadvantages are you give a free card miss money when you are ahead.

The paradox about this situation is that the more players in, the more money you stand to win by betting, but the more likely someone has drawn a flush and that you are actually behind. The less players in, the less likely you are behind, but the less money you stand to make by betting, and the more you will lose theoretically, if behind.

So as you can see, this is usually a close decision. The factors I use to swing me one way or another are: in the absence of any other information, always bet and call a raise. If you pick up tells that indicate someone is trapping, and if that tell seems genuine, and the players are better caliber and know that you will usually bet, and if there arent many players, consider checking. However, if the players are poor and exhibiting alot of fake out moves, usually always bet. Checking the best hand here against more than two opponents is probably more of a mistake then betting the second best hand with a redraw to improve to the best hand.

As far as your river check, I think this is pretty bad. You have a whole field checking to you twice and you have a very good hand. I would bet everytime. Nobody with a hand that beats you is going to risk checking it thru on the river, unless they are total timid types that would check a flush or straight twice. Unless you see some of these types in the lineup, always bet.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check here with AK, that's about it. If I have AA or KK or QQ no diamond, I just bet fold.

You have top set, there is nothing to think about. If you get check raise, so what.

You cannot give a free card to all those baby diamonds or gutshots. Also, you lose so much value when someone has a smaller set or two pair and they will never fold.

Checking the turn here is teh suck
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Set - value bet or check behind against 4 opponents and drawy boar

Thanks for the advice. i agree i should have bet turn. and i did actually bet the river, by the way.

- i was also up against 4 opponents on the turn and river, not 3, if that matters at all...

- I often see in these live 3/6 games early position players with a baby flush that plan to just check/call. i agree, i played some scared poker there on the turn. But my dilemma is that in the super loose, passive 3/6 game that i play in, i see a lot of flushes actually get check/called in multi-way pots when they have something like 42s and hit their baby flushy.