Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: AK, turn decision

You think so, registrar? A hand like KQ or K9 (or AJ) doesn't call in these tourneys if you toss out a bet of 200-250? I think that being checked to on both the turn and river in these tournaments means you're good most of the time. Very few of these players try for a check-raise on turn, fail, and then try again on river. I think a half pot bet in this spot is a positive equity move in these tournaments.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You think so, registrar? A hand like KQ or K9 (or AJ) doesn't call in these tourneys if you toss out a bet of 200-250? I think that being checked to on both the turn and river in these tournaments means you're good most of the time. Very few of these players try for a check-raise on turn, fail, and then try again on river. I think a half pot bet in this spot is a positive equity move in these tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're talking about the river, and unless I'm very confused, we have one pair. If we bet the river, it's to fold two pair and two pair doesn't fold here.

Edit: You might get a call out of AJ true. AJ can be there but that's the only one pair hand that I can see beating here.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:11 AM

AJ, KQ, K9...those are all one-pair hands we can beat. I think it's a bit narrow to say AJ is the only one...

Additionally, consider the way we played the hand from his point of view. We check the turn behind him, which in our case was to prevent being blown off a monster hand, but to him could easily look like we're not interested in pushing anymore after he called our flop bet. His river check could easily be to induce a bluff and/or to play smallball, and a half pot bet could look like maybe WE had the draw, or a combo SD/pair hand that he can beat.

He might call with TQ, KQ, AJ, K9, AT...I think there are enough out there that we'll make some money when he calls more often than losing. And I doubt we'll be check-raised enough in this spot to worry too much about that when making the decision. I guess I just think our river bet isn't as much to get two pair to fold as it is to make a little more money with the best hand.

This is a spot I really need to improve on in the heat of the moment; when to value bet the best hand on river, and when to check it down.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Strider - the board is KTxJ9.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 AM

Yikes. Sorry, no coffee yet, didn't realize 9 on river. Yeah, scratch all that...2 pair is definitely checking river most of the time, especially in weak games. Check the river down. My bad.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 AM

In a 4, maybe i am. put pushing river in your scenario against an unknown cannot be good.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:18 AM

no
Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 AM

If this river is a brick and it is checked to me AGAIN, I push this river with these stacks 100% of the time and expect to be good when called.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: results

yeah, i checked down happily and the donk showed me KK.

So i guess this time my suboptimal play worked in my favor.
But i gotta get better at knowing when to check behind on turn and when not to, now i check behind far too many one paired hands
Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 AM

On a board of kxjt9, you expect to be able to overpush And be good when called? what u expect to see? k6?, aj?