Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Question For Top Players

Not that I accept what you're saying as true, but this isn't the school yard and we aren't 'copy cats'. If Ray gives good advice, and we pass that on to other people who might otherwise not get it, than 'THATS A GOOD THING' as our favourite jail bird decorator would say.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:50 PM

ok it is only "Gold." because Ray Zee told you so. its amazing how toolish and predictable it was that you only said it after he commented on its worth, THINK ON YOUR OWN FOR ONCE.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:53 PM

You don't seem to like this forum, so why don't you stop posting in it instead of making it even worse with all your own worthless drivel?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:05 PM

Hey don't worry, puberty will be over soon and your emotions / hormones will stop raging.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When playing high, there are several aspects of mental preservation that separate the small winners from the big winners. This manifests itself in several ways:

1. Losing on a "bad beat" is usually for a lot of money. In a limit game, the best players realize that it doesn't really matter and don't dwell on it, because you'll get it back on the next hand (or the next day). So much of your profit comes from isolating one or two weak players, that it really is just a matter of time that you get the money. This is one reason why I enjoy playing short so much. The same principles apply in NL, but the money is much greater, so it is often more difficult to disconnect, and it is possible that you won't get the money back very soon. Maybe the live one will clam up and eventually quit.

2. If you have been losing a good chunk, it's usually best to just quit for the day. Forget about it and go home. Zee made this point to me awhile ago, and he had several reasons that he can state if he wants. However, the long and the short of it is that it's the best advice that I've ever gotten.

3. The best players don't underestimate the bad players. 99% of the time, these live ones are somewhat tricky and can pull some stuff. That's not to say that you have to fear them (you shouldn't), but you should definately respect the fact that they ARE thinking about the game, their image, and their opponents. Granted, their thoughts are usually wrong, but you need to think about what they think about.

4. Sometimes you just need to show a bit of gamble in certain situations. You may be taking slightly the worst of it, but in the long-term, you aren't. If you beat your tilt-prone opponent, he will often blow off a lot of money. However, you need to make sure that you don't fall for this when it's done to you. You also need to be really careful when choosing these situations.

5. Be willing and able to play big pots. If the money is significant, then people start sqeezing really hard and make mistakes. Relish the big pots and you'll win more of them. When you lose them, don't worry about it. You'll get it back on the next hand.

6. You'll make mistakes. Don't worry about them afterwards. They are done with - you can't change them at all. Just don't make them again in the future, since that's all you can control.

On this board, there are several players who probably play much better than myself, but I doubt that many of them are better at not tilting than myself. These are kind of the things that I think about when I play. Plus, having a "dumb grin" all the time helps matters if you play live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

PRIMO!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:28 PM

ironic you still copy, i do like this forum and what thoughtful, original posters have to say about hands, but i mean its quite obvious there are posters who have no original thoughts of their own and just repeat stuff and its so predictable. no soap radio
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 PM

In my opinion, Ray Zee, J. A. Sucker, Matt Flynn, and Phat Mack all posted excellent responses with top-notch advice and commentary.

I especially like Phat's comment about Tommy Angelo and Sucker's list.

If to you this makes me a tool, then I am a tool. Whatever tool is supposed to mean.

Perhaps you should concentrate on things that matter instead of wasting energy and time on frivolities.

I have a book sugestion for you and also for everyone else as it more than just touches on the subject of this thread. Seneca

This book is worth reading. A civilized person would be thankful that a very busy working man, that does not post in the No-limit forum anymore, took the time to response to your post and give a very helpful book suggestion, along with providing the link to help speed the purchase process.

-Zeno
Old 03-18-2005, 11:53 PM

werent you the one pleading with people to post worthwhile stuff in this forum?

dont be such an ass. this thread is awesome.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:46 AM

Thanks for starting this thread bruise.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:59 AM

Please correct me if I miss any subtleties, but isn't points 1 and 5 are just application of "never play above your bankroll" idea?