Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t one be proud to be a straight white male

That's some pretty strong hate there! You must have missed the part of the thread where I painstakingly linked to peer-reviewed articles from scientific journals that stated that human-animal sexual interaction is often consensual, and that in fact animals often eschewed sex with their own species in favor of humans!

Bills, if you'd reread your own thread, I replied 5 times. 2 months ago.

Given your affection for ACism, I'd think you'd value an affective relationship between two peers over an affective relationship where one party has no meaningful means of redressing wrongs.

Unless you're granting the animal in such a relationship basic rights equivalent to its partner (like, say, freedom from arbitrary murder), then the fundamental dynamic remains one of force. American slave owners who had sex with slaves didn't always coerce their partners, but the fact remains that the partner's consent was fundamentally irrelevant.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be proud of anything you wish. The fact that you are proud isn't any "reason" to be proud though.

Ah well, I guess, if you have nothing else to be proud about and you feel victimized, you poor sod! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 AM

Did you miss the part of this thread where I stated my distaste for such pride?

I actually misread your post. Consider my open questions aimed at Degen.

However, when you say that "white man pride" is equally as racist as "black man pride" are you implying that either is actually substantivelly harmful/racist?

If so, you're conflating pride in yourself with disdain for others, which is exactly the relationship the "why can't I be a proud white guy" crowd says is absent from their personal pride.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its odd. I'm proud of who I am. I'm a married man, an expectant father, bored of my job but successful. But I don't see any pride in the color of my skin, my gender or my sexuality. Its not like I chose any of them. I didn't have to accomplish anything because of them or overcome any obstacle because of those traits. Where is the pride coming from exactly?

As another person said... should I be proud for having 10 fingers? Or proud of my height?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your analogy doesn't work because there are lots of people who celebrate race, gender and sexuality who are not straight white men.

There are loads of normal women who are feminimists/proud to be women

Gays who are proud of that

Blacks the same

[/ QUOTE ]
We think it's dumb that they're proud of it too, at least me and Kurto. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Shout it out

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't one be proud to be a straight white male?

[/ QUOTE ] You are absolutely right. You should indeed be proud.

And I'm proud to have two eyes and two legs.

I'm also extremely proud of my tonsils (never bothered me) and yesterday's weather. It was simply magnificent!

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-31-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t one be proud to be a white male

[ QUOTE ]
So, I suppose you could be proud of being a white male specifically, but what exactly are you celebrating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Building the bulk of Western civilization. That's all.

Pick up any history text from before 1970 and you'll see much about the white male. After that it seems that history 'changed'.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's like if there is a race, and you have shoes with a 2lb weight on them, and others have shoes with a 10lb weight on them...

[/ QUOTE ]

...that were painstakingly fashioned for them by their parent (often only one) and their culture.

For this I am sorry but no longer willing to pay for.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't one be proud to be a straight white male

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this question imply there's something stopping you from feeling proud about being a white, straight, male?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:12 AM

As someone already said, we can be proud to have built the most affluent and civilzed societies in the history of man. That's pretty frickin amazing and I for one am indeed proud. But for some reason I don't feel the need to say it publicly or march down the street in a parade to that effect.

The reason is that that type of approach is for people with low self-esteem. They endorse the fact that others exercise power over them and are essentially crying out to them, pleading them to change their ways.

A self-confident fighter, in contrast, just puts on his gloves and gets out in the ring whenever the situation demands it.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:25 AM

Here are some holidays designed to celebrate the accomplishments of straight white men:

Independence Day
Presidents Day
Columbus Day
Veterans Day (Army wasn't integrated in WWI)
Labor Day

I agree with the liberals here who are saying that taking pride in your group has a lot to do with advancing your groups goals. However, I also see Degen's point that if a college group was formed today with a goal of "white empowerment" that school could expect a visit from Jesse Jackson. I think this is due to the perception that White Men don't need to advance, they already have a huge head start.