Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Screenwriting and Filmmaking:\"But What I Really Want to Do Is Dire

Why hello thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing that I know of multiple 2+2ers who are aspiring to work in the entertainment biz and become writers and directors I thought it best to create a thread about those crafts which is seperate from a general movie discussion thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be me.

I'm in the process of polishing off first drafts on two screenplays I've been working on throughout college, and I'm also starting to work on some television samples as well. Probably a pair of spec drama pilots (one more serious, one with a fair amount of non-sitcom humor) and a spec of The Office.

I've read a lot of books on screenwriting, majored in Communication Arts (focused on production/writing) and have done a lot of student journalism -- so discipline to actually DO SOME WRITING isn't an issue.

It's what I do when I'm ready to submit them that I'm incredibly lost. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and have NO plans to impulsively move to LA and hope to make it. I know of a very very small number of internship contests that would take them as submissions, but otherwise the only thing I know of is to submit my specs to agents.

Which seems... well, the odds seem daunting. I'm not naive, thinking that I'll get an agent and suddenly sell a script for a million dollars all from Wisconsin. But I've been under the impression that it'd be at least possible to get an agent, perhaps even get a job as a staff writer on a show, without having to move to LA before that was cooking.

This is the kind of stuff I don't know. I can read all I want from established screenwriters about their experiences, but I know the film and television industry changes so quickly that it might not even apply any more -- if it ever did.

So, I guessing I'm asking those of you in the industry already:

On top of the already difficult task of getting an agent / getting a writing job, how much more difficult would it be given I'm not in LA and don't plan to be unless I actually have legitimate inroads to said job? On the scale of "not that much harder, you'll just have to make some flights out there at first if you do get some interest" to "impossible, either move here and be poor or give up now" -- what would you say?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:45 AM

Primer was filmed on 16mm for $7,000 and won the biggest award at sundance. There are numerous other examples of films made for $25K or less that started people's careers.

the reason most first time filmmakers fail imho is that they are less interested in their story and more interested learning to use the camera and equipment. this is probably because having a great story is very hard, while all you need is a credit card to play with the camera.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why hello thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing that I know of multiple 2+2ers who are aspiring to work in the entertainment biz and become writers and directors I thought it best to create a thread about those crafts which is seperate from a general movie discussion thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be me.

I'm in the process of polishing off first drafts on two screenplays I've been working on throughout college, and I'm also starting to work on some television samples as well. Probably a pair of spec drama pilots (one more serious, one with a fair amount of non-sitcom humor) and a spec of The Office.

I've read a lot of books on screenwriting, majored in Communication Arts (focused on production/writing) and have done a lot of student journalism -- so discipline to actually DO SOME WRITING isn't an issue.

It's what I do when I'm ready to submit them that I'm incredibly lost. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and have NO plans to impulsively move to LA and hope to make it. I know of a very very small number of internship contests that would take them as submissions, but otherwise the only thing I know of is to submit my specs to agents.

Which seems... well, the odds seem daunting. I'm not naive, thinking that I'll get an agent and suddenly sell a script for a million dollars all from Wisconsin. But I've been under the impression that it'd be at least possible to get an agent, perhaps even get a job as a staff writer on a show, without having to move to LA before that was cooking.

This is the kind of stuff I don't know. I can read all I want from established screenwriters about their experiences, but I know the film and television industry changes so quickly that it might not even apply any more -- if it ever did.

So, I guessing I'm asking those of you in the industry already:

On top of the already difficult task of getting an agent / getting a writing job, how much more difficult would it be given I'm not in LA and don't plan to be unless I actually have legitimate inroads to said job? On the scale of "not that much harder, you'll just have to make some flights out there at first if you do get some interest" to "impossible, either move here and be poor or give up now" -- what would you say?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends...writing feature film scripts but not living in LA..possible but A you'll only ever write on spec and B I'd say don't even bother because its so unlikely.

Writing for Tv and not living in LA--impossible.
You have to live in LA.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Primer was filmed on 16mm for $7,000 and won the biggest award at sundance. There are numerous other examples of films made for $25K or less that started people's careers.

the reason most first time filmmakers fail imho is that they are less interested in their story and more interested learning to use the camera and equipment. this is probably because having a great story is very hard, while all you need is a credit card to play with the camera.

[/ QUOTE ]

There aren't a ton of under 25K success stories. The director of Primer has yet to make anything else and doesn't show as even being attached to anything.

Its also very rare that any super low budget film is a success. Your better off making a short.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
depends...writing feature film scripts but not living in LA..possible but A you'll only ever write on spec and B I'd say don't even bother because its so unlikely.

You have to live in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify (not sure if this was clear), I'm not asking whether it's possible to write (as in, have and maintain a writing job) outside LA. I'm asking whether it's possible to get your first agent and your first job offer without moving to LA FIRST.

Obviously if I got a job, I'd move to LA.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

Let's say I find myself with a few extra bucks and want to get into producing. What's the best way to get hooked up with quality people? Specifically I mean talented young filmmakers, not well connected guys who are good at getting Silicon Valley types to pony up lots of money to be involved with their stupid projects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you see my sweet music video made with MS-Paint? You can only imagine the quality of my work with proper camera/lighting/editing equipment.

Its pretty obvious that I am too talented to keep doing music videos forever, and I'll have to move on to shorts and features someday.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You have to live in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify (not sure if this was clear), I'm not asking whether it's possible to write (as in, have and maintain a writing job) outside LA. I'm asking whether it's possible to get your first agent and your first job offer without moving to LA FIRST.

Obviously if I got a job, I'd move to LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agent's perspective: nope, you've got to move here first. Everybody and their dog in the flyover mails us stuff and calls us in the hopes they'll be plucked away and brought to LA. First, the material usually sucks so hard that it's not worth reading anymore. Second, we don't believe you're actually going to move here. Third, like CDS has said, the process of becoming a success is a long process, not a switch flipping, so you need to put the time into the business networking and crap, and you need to be here to do that.

El Diablo,

Alternate, simple, answer to your question: you call me and we get started.

LFS
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM

I'm going to go slightly off the screenwriting route, but still stay in the movie domain:

What i'd like to get into, is film scoring, i.e. writing or arranging the music for film/television.

I keep thinking about Music College, but am not sure if it's the right thing, like film school, it might be a waste of money. If i do decide to go down that route i'll probably try for CalArts in LA where i'd study composition, just because everything happens in LA.

Its getting started in the industry thats difficult, does anyone have any reccommendations or advice?

Ideally i'd like to get connected with some film students and do some music for their films, for free, just to build a portfolio and rep (if anyone here does make films, or knows someone that does, and wants some music, pm me, like i said, i'll work for free).

My music teacher recommended getting started in corporate video music, but apart from increasing my portfolio, i can't see how this will get me into the actual film industry.

cheers
Old 01-30-2007, 11:24 AM

The "key" to writing a good screenplay, which I feel that I have (maybe I'm wrong) is to just start writing dialogue and scenes and see if your characters are becoming developed and interesting. Then let them go about their lives in the context of the script. Trying to coming up with flashy ideas or cool things you saw in other movies is not really the way to go.

And it takes time. You have to live with your script. If you're not living with it and allowing it to develop in your mind, then chances are, it's going to be underdeveloped [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Film school is pretty much a waste of $$$ unless it is at UCLA or USC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I went to a very small undergrad conservatory film program, SUNY Purchase, and it worked pretty well for me. Spending four years studying, writing, directing, and editing film was exactly what I needed. Of course, at a school like this you have exactly zero chance of making film industry contacts, but you get the advantage of working in a vaccum-- you can focus on your creative growth without really thinking about what the market is looking for.

I know lots of people who didn't go to film school and have worked in the industry for years. They know the business better than I ever will, but are afraid to move up to the creative positions. Because they've never sat in an editing room trying to make sense of their messed up footage, the process is mysterious and intimidating to them.

I made a down and dirty, low budget flick a few years after graduating, did the festivals, got an agent, and have made my living in the industry ever since. Of course, this is sort of a best case scenario, but lots of people I went to school with work in the industry in one way or another. Not all of them are happy about it.

Anyway, lots of people have a negative opinion of film schools, but it was really, really good for me. I made a lot of friends who I still love and work with 15 years later.

AFI is another option if you want an 'industry connected' school. I've heard mixed things.