Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: The Sushi Thread

bbq freshwater eel rolls are delish as well, really got me into sushi.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM

The best sushi tip I ever got was from the older hostess at Maneki, Seattle's oldest and (IMO) best sushi restaurant. She pointed out that most people dip their sushi in soy rice side down and put it in their mouth fish side up. That means the first taste experience is that of soy and rice, by no means the superstars of sushi eating.

One addition re: AYCE. In my experience, the reason to go is only convenience. I can go to a more quality place sushi restaurant and order, say $20 worth of food, and be full. So, for me, almost all sushi is AYCE, because I don't like to eat much more than the cost of an AYCE place, even when I go to a menu-oriented sushi place. I would venture a guess that this is true for a lot of people. But if I am in more of a hurry I will try them.

KJS
Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 PM

I'm a sushi snob, so keep that in mind when reading this...

[ QUOTE ]

All you can eat/buffet-style vs. a la carte

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think there exists on earth an AYCE sushi place that's worth going to. I've tried a few, but end up just eating California Rolls because it's pretty hard to screw up fake crab meat and avacado. Definitely stay away from the spicy tuna rolls at a place like this, as it tends to be low grade/not fresh fish, made spicy so you can't tell the difference.

A la carte is the only way to go.

[ QUOTE ]

Nigiri vs. cut rolls

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of cut rolls...if you're at a place that serves a lot of fancy cut rolls, it's almost a guarantee that the nigiri won't be any good. They're trying to appeal to the people who mostly eat sushi because it's popular, not because they actually like the taste of raw fish. If I'm at one of those places, then I will eat cut rolls, because usually they'll taste decent with all the fancy sauces and stuff...not really sushi, though, IMO.

Nigiri is the way to go, though hand rolls can also be very good...I love a good blue crab hand roll, for example.

[ QUOTE ]

Wasabi & soy sauce

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that the low sodium soy sauce is better. As for Wasabi, you're really not supposed to add it to the soy sauce...I think it really takes away from the flavor of whatever you're eating. Of course, at many sushi places, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A couple other things I should mention:

At a good place, Omakase (chef's choice) is the way to go...you'll be sure to get all the best stuff that way. Also, if you want to get the best treatment you generally have to become a regular somewhere...most sushi chefs tend to give preferential treatment to their regulars.

To the OP, there are a lot of great places in LA you should try, though it would require a change from your normal routine (they typically don't serve California Rolls, Spicy Tuna rolls, etc.). Sushi Zo, Sasabune, Echigo, Nozawa, Sushi Gen...the pinnacle is Urasawa, though not everyone is willing to drop that kind of cash on dinner.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thirddan,

That seems like WAY too much wasabi. Really thick? It seems like the wasabi would completely dominate.

[/ QUOTE ]

it will of course depend on personal taste...i said that the first pass should be thick to prevent people from overdoing the soy sauce which causes the clumping...you don't ahve to use a lot of wasabi as long as you end up with a nice consistency in the mix so that each dip gets wasabi and soy sauce...which is unlikely to happen if you don't mix them well...it will of course become less thick each time you add soy sauce...
Old 01-29-2007, 09:04 PM

pj,

Sushi Groove South is my favorite and most regular sushi joint in SF. It is a nice place, but not extravagant. Kind of a chill SF vibe, a little on the dark side, a little bit romantic, DJ spinning, etc. They have great fish and a lot of tasty rolls, but most of the rolls are not super complicated.

Blowfish Sushi is another place I go to a fair amount. This is more of a party atmosphere. Blaring music on weekends and crazy anime on the TVs. Hot bar scene too. They also have incredible fish. They have some more intricate rolls, really delicious.

Sakana is a no-frills cheaper place that is excellent. Nice and clean, but definitely not the high-end ambience of the two above. The real focus here is on the fish rather than rolls. Usually I'll just focus on some nigiri and some sashimi here, maybe we get one spider roll.

Ace Wasabi and Tokyo GoGo. These are Marina and Mission versions of the same place. Very good, both a little sceney. But excellent. Ace is often too crowded to deal with. Tokyo GoGo is pretty easy to get into. Tokyo GoGo does these special sashimi trio plates which sound good but are not really that great imo. I'd stick with all the great sashimi, nigiri, and rolls.

Ebisu is a more traditional place out near the park, 9th and Irving or something. Very good stuff, again more focus on the fish as opposed to tons of complicated rolls, but everything is very good here.

Kyo-Ya. This is a really expensive place South of Market in the Palace hotel. Great stuff, but super pricey. Lots of Japanese businessmen go here.

Ozumo. This is a sorta pricey place South of Market near the Ferry Building. It has a pretty cool bar and a great happy hour w/ sushi and drink specials. They also focus more on having lots of hot food as well. Highly recommended, but a little on the expensive side.

Mas Sake. This is a party atmosphere sushi place on Lombard. Way too loud and the service is so-so, but there are alwyas lots of cute chicks there. They do an all-you-can-eat sushi night here which actually features really good fish. I find the place a little annoying though.

Nama. This is my neighborhood sushi place. Unfortunately, I think it kinda sucks. The fish is not as good as the other places listed. They are great at frying sh*t up, though. Great tempura and great unhealthy rolls with fried up tempura and spicy sauces. They have multiple sections of various permutations of special spicy/crunchy/tempura rolls. That's all I eat when I go here, not really sushi.

OK, that's the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. I've probably been to at least 10 more sushi places in SF, likely more.

When going with one other person, we usually get 4 orders of nigiri and 3 rolls. Standard would be one order shiro maguro (albacore tuna, prob my favorite and often almost as good as the way pricier toro), one sake (salmon), one hamachi, and one unagi (eel) or maguro (tuna) or whatever else. For rolls, usually one fried roll like a spider roll. One spicy roll like a dynamite roll or spicy tuna. And one other roll, often something a little unique. Usually start w/ miso soup and seaweed salad, sometimes some edamame. Sometimes replace some of the rolls or nigiri w/ some sashimi. Sometimes we'll get a couple more nigiri and rolls. Tea, beer, and/or sake, depending on the mood. At Sushi Groove South, this runs $35-45 depending on what we have to drink and whether or not we have dessert. Sushi is really an incredible bargain compared to other nice meals out.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Diablo,

Kaygetsu in Menlo Park is the best sushi in the Bay Area. Trust me. Unfortunately, it's been discovered and now you need reservations 2 weeks+ in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Sushi Groove South is fun and good, though.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Something I've always wondered about, in relation to what I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Do the high end/trendy sushi restaurants in Japan do crazy things with their rolls the way we do in America (ie non-traditional ingredients) or do they keep things traditional over there?

I'm also curious about what people's favorite non-traditional rolls are. Most of mine involve jalapenos because I love spicy food but I can't think of anything great I've had recently.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unagi is very palatable, as it tastes something like teriyaki fish on rice. I don't know if that's the best way to ease into raw fish though, since, well... it's not raw fish. I think regular tuna is a good starter since it's pretty neutral tasting. Go to a half-decent sushi place and the tuna won't smell fishy. Yellow tail would be okay too.

Sushi is awesome -- just don't get weirded out by the texture of the raw fish and you'll be all right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where should I go to eat Sushi near Irvine? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I went to that place at the block...or whatever it's called in Orange....that was good but I dno wtf I'm doin'....

Yugoslav
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To the OP, there are a lot of great places in LA you should try, though it would require a change from your normal routine (they typically don't serve California Rolls, Spicy Tuna rolls, etc.). Sushi Zo, Sasabune, Echigo, Nozawa, Sushi Gen...the pinnacle is Urasawa, though not everyone is willing to drop that kind of cash on dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice list - I would add Asanebo (Studio City) and just went to and enjoyed Sushi Go 55 (Downtown).

I generally prefer sashimi to sushi. Because of this, the quality of the fish is pretty important for me.

Of sashimi cuts, O-Toro >>> Chu-Toro >> Yellowtail > Maguro is my line. O-Toro is very expensive but I am a huge fan (the blocks they sell at say Mitsuwa market can be good also, and much cheaper option to just buy and cut at home).

I do like rolls (say a tempura roll or something) every now and then, though I believe sushi purists shy away from this stuff? For good hand / cut / lots of moving parts / atraditional rolls, I like Katsu-ya (Studio City).

-Al
Old 01-29-2007, 09:12 PM

Diablo,

I look forward to convincing my sister to go to Sakana with me with this Saturday. Thanks for the recommendations.